NEW HERE and brain "foggy"...medicaid anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

NEW HERE and brain "foggy"...medicaid anyone? NEW HERE and brain "foggy"...medicaid anyone?

Unread 12-31-2009, 04:05 AM
NEW HERE and brain "foggy"...medicaid anyone?

I'm 27 and having a TVH/BSO for debiltating pelvic pain, endo, adenomyosis, and dysfunctional bleeding for the last 18 years. Surgery date is approaching soon and very anxious and nervous.

I was wondering if any of you have/had medicaid when having the surgery and if they covered all the costs? I've been out of work for a while now and certainly cannot afford massive hospital bills! I spent 1 night in the hospital this last spring and it cost $10,000!!!!!

Just wanted to say that i think this site is a blessing! I've already met some very cool sisters on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 07:14 AM
Re: NEW HERE and brain "foggy"...medicaid anyone?

Hi UrbanPrincess ~~

I can't answer your question about Medicaid, but wanted to say Hi! You are right about this site being a blessing. It's so nice to be connected with so many who understand exactly what we are going through. I am learning so much by reading the posts and articles. I'm sure someone will come along with some answers for you.

Take care of yourself and Happy New Year!! ~~StarryNite
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:30 AM

Hello and Welcome,
I think your doctor's office can and should assist you with getting you pre-approved for the type of surgery you are having. Everything is done with medical codes, so even if you call the membership number you may not get the answers you need. I would make a call to your doctor's office and ask them if your insurance will cover your surgery and how many days in the hospital. They should be able to answer all those questions for you and help you so you know ahead of time and don't end up with a huge bill.
Best Wishes
alicia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks girls. Alicia, you are having your hysterectomy the same day I am!!! Good wishes Thanks for saying hello StarryNite!
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:15 AM

Hey, I am currently on medicaid, they will get an approval for the surgery and everything is covered, except the co pay on medications if you have one. Im only 8 days post op but I was able to stay one night ( I chose not to) and was treated wonderfully. good luck
Unread 12-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Hi Kristy. You mean you chose not to stay any longer than one night? How are you feeling?
Unread 12-31-2009, 05:23 PM

urbanprincess,

I just wanted to say welcome also. I am not on Medicaid either, but like luvee24 and others said, your doctors office should be able to help you with that. They immediately checked with my insurance company, even before I had a chance to. My insurance company gave the okay for a 1 night stay for me having LAVH. I understood that my Doctor would be able to request more time in hospital if I needed it. I think your Doctor's office should be able to find out and give you all the information on what it will cost you. My insurance company even sent me a letter telling me that I had been approved for the Hysterectomy and the 1 night stay. Just tell them that you need to know where you will be standing and see if they can send you a letter so that you have it in writing.

Good Luck and Have a Happy New Year!
Unread 12-31-2009, 05:50 PM

If you have medicaid and the proceedure is approved, you are covered 100%. But like the other lady said, if you are given a script you just have a co-pay, which I think is very minimal something like $3-5. I'm on disability right now, but with my full time job I assist people with getting medicaid and it is a good thing, just hard as heck to get sometimes.
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Hi all. I actually did receive a letter saying that my surgery was approvd last week but wasn't sure if they were going to slam me with a huge bill anyway later on. Just wanted to know if anyone had that experience or if when they say they approve your surgery everything is covered...and I'm guessing by what you are saying it is. Thanks for all your advice! Happy New Year!
Unread 01-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Hey urbanprincess... I think Im feeling ok considering.. I went in on the 23rd for a DVH/BSO, checked in at 5:30 am! I couldnt sleep, and had to get up and get showered at 4am so the day started off horriible! anyway right at 7:30 they wheeled me down..the all male staff was funny and comforting. I was falling alseep with the anesthiologist assistant dancing over my head singing I got you drunk... needless to say I went in calm and came out calm. anyway.. I was eating and urinating by noon, by 3 I was feeling great compared to the last few years of constant endo/cyst/fibroid/fibromyalgia pain...I was suppose to spend the night but talked the doctor into letting me leave I had a pkg being delivered the next day (christmas eve) and I didnt want my son to miss his biggest christmas gift so I left the hospital at 4.. the 30 minute ride wore me out!! Ive had aches and pains and felt horrible off and on and have done things to cause pain but all in all Im ok.. I should have spent the night but as usual put others before myself. Im 9 days out and confined to the bed because I keep 'forgetting' and doing things Im not suppose to plus a ride to town made me hurt and so weak I couldnt hold my head up. from what you said you have been dealing with, I would say your in for a treat the minute you wake up!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register