Da Vinci at 40 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > da Vinci Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Da Vinci at 40 Da Vinci at 40

Unread 12-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Da Vinci at 40

I was sitting at my computer one night working. I had made supper and done the usual daily routine up to making supper and doing my evening work on the computer. I served my husband and 4 of our 7 children supper but when I sat down with my family to eat I was suddenly in a lot of pain.
I had never had trouble with a period before. My girlfrends have talked about how much pain they have had and even had to miss work but it was always a cake walk for me. I had never had any major medical problems except for an appendicitis 10 years earlier. Besides, I wasn't even on my period that day but it felt like I was going into labour. It was terrible!
I took some ibuprofein and went to lie down and my husband came to check on me 5 minutes later. I hurt even more. Eventually, my husband was so concerned that he talked me into an emergency room visit. In the emergency room they ran some test and gave me some pain meds IM.
The next morning I was still in a lot of pain and just couldn't understand what was going on with my body. Something was definately wrong! I called my doctor and she got me in right away. After an exam that put me literally, like a cat on the ceiling, I was sent straight over to the hospital for an ultra sound.
Later that day the doctor called and said she wanted me to meet with a surgeon that afternoon that she was concerned with what they saw on the ultrasound and the other tests.
The surgeon was friendly but I was nervous letting someone open me up that I had just met. But he scheduled me for surgery 2 days later but just for a cyst. I had 2 fibroid tumors in uterus, my uterus was enlarged and was hanging lower than it should. I also had a large cyst on my left ovary.
Instead of taking care of everything the surgeon said that they were just going to take care of the cyst and do the infamous "wait and see" on the tumors and uterus problems. He told me that just because I might have to wear an extra pad or two was not reason enough to do a hysterectomy. But I wasn't on my period I WAS IN EXCRUTIATING PAIN!! I had a melt down in his office. Went back to my doctor and she called the surgeon and they talked. I was scheduled for surgery the next week.
By then my kidneys were killing me. My fibroid uterus was now laying on them like a brick.
It took 5 days to get scheduled and by then I was on 2 narcotics and truck load of ibuprofein. My body was screaming for releaf. I have never felt so much pain in all of my life and I had given birth 7 times.
The surgery went well and although I had reservations about the surgeon I felt instant relief. He later told me that my tumors had tripled in size in that week prior to surgery and it was a good thing he didn't wait. The cyst had burst on its own so they didn't take the left ovary. I felt so good.

About 3 weeks later, the surgeon said that I could resume some of my normal activities. I got up and showered. It felt wonderful to shave my legs. I was progressing wonderfully.
Then I began to bleed. I called my husband at work and he ran the 12 blocks home to our house. He took me straight to the surgeons office. He said that he couldn't find anything wrong and applied some type of silver substance to my incision on the inside and then sent me home. I didn't want to go home because it was A LOT of blood. He said to go home and put my feet up and fall asleep watching a movie that bleeding was normal. I asked, "3 weeks later?" So I did what he said and I put my feet up on the couch and watched a movie. A girlfriend text me and asked to come over and keep me company. I welcomed the company. While she was sitting with me I could feel intermitten gushing. I changed my clothes 3 times and called the surgeon again. His nurse told me it was normal and that I should just rest.

I told her I knew my body and something wasn't right.

My girlfriend said I was looking a little pale and I was feeling light headed. We called the surgeon again and told the receptionist we'd be there in 3 minutes.
When we arrived at his office, the receptionist said that I would have to wait because he was busy. I reached across the counter and told her I wanted to see the doctor NOW that I could feel the blood running down my leg and there would be a puddle at my feet. The poor woman took me right back and I had to go through it all again with his nurse. She said she didn't have a room and I would just have to wait. I told her I wouldn't wait.

I have never been so forceful with people in all of life but today my life depended on it.
She put me in a room and left me for several minutes. Another doctor's nurse found me and got the surgeon. By then he said it was to late for an ambulance I had lost to much blood. He turned to the nurse and told her to take me in HER car. My husband had arrived by then and he took me, with the nurse, in our car to the hospital. I passed out in our car.
Within 10 minutes the amazing people at the hospital had me prepped, IV in, blood drawn and wheeling me into surgery. I even heard the anesthesiologist argue with the surgeon about something he was not comfortable doing. Whatever it was I was glad he was there. The surgeon gave me 6 more stitiches and I haven't had any more bleeding.
In the end, I was in the hospital for 3 days and had a transfusion. It was back to square one and without a doctor. I refused to return to that surgeon. I have a new doctor who is wonderful! I have never met a doctor that would stay in a room and just listen for as long as you needed. She is great!

I am now on week 10 of my hysterectomy and week 7 from emergency surgery. I am recovering well physically but the hormone inbalance is trying at times. I am getting my strength back a little more each day and I even went to the gym yesterday. I loved it! It is slow going at times and I have felt VERY MUCH alone. That all improved the day I found Hystersister. It has been a vast of information and support by women who are walking the same road. I am so thankful for this website and the support of other women out other going through this. I can't thank you all enough for your encouragement and support.
Hystersister is amazing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register