Numbness and really bad pain in left thigh 5 weeks post op TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Numbness and really bad pain in left thigh 5 weeks post op TAH Numbness and really bad pain in left thigh 5 weeks post op TAH

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Numbness and really bad pain in left thigh 5 weeks post op TAH

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. I went into the hospital for a c-section and due to complications I ended up with a hysterectomy. Since then I have had alot of pain and numbness in my left thigh that does not go away. I asked my doctor about it and he said that the pain would go away as the edema from pregnancy(with twins!) went away. Well, its been 5 weeks and the water I was retaining is gone and my leg still hurts something awful. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Its really difficult to deal with at times. I swear they screwed up on my epidural at the hospital and this is the result and nobody wants to tell me that. Anyone else ever go throught this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Re: Numbness and really bad pain in left thigh 5 weeks post op TAH

Hi nausetlight,

I had a TAH on 25 November and I've had pain and numbness on the outside of my right thigh! I did mention it to my consultant after the op and he said it wasn't related to anything he'd done as part of the hysterectomy. I did wonder if it might be due to the epidural I was given for pain relief (which I didn't want and didn't work).

Some of the posts on this site say it might be because of the position they put you in during the operation. I've got my 6 week check up on 7 January and I was going to ask the consultant again what's caused it and how long will it last. I'll ask if it's a side effect of an epidural and see what he says.
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Hi UKsister,
Thank you for the info. I have my 6 weeks check up next week and I inteneded to ask about the pain as well. I got an email from a sister on here that had a TAH 2 years ago and had similar pain in her left leg. That was TWO years ago and she still has pain..... YIKES! Let's hope it isn't like that for us... Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausetlight View Post
Hi UKsister,
Thank you for the info. I have my 6 weeks check up next week and I inteneded to ask about the pain as well. I got an email from a sister on here that had a TAH 2 years ago and had similar pain in her left leg. That was TWO years ago and she still has pain..... YIKES! Let's hope it isn't like that for us... Good luck!
Hi nausetlight,

You've worried me now - I hope we don't still have this problem in another 2 years!! Did the sister that emailed you have an epidural as well? I'm hoping that it might be like the numbness round the incision scar due to damaged nerves and that it'll heal itself in a few months. I'll let you know what my consultant says at the 6 week check up.
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Hi again UKsister,
I would very much appreciate if you would let me know what is said about your leg at your 6 weeks appointment. Any information would be helpful. The sister that emailed me had a spinal. I guess thats pretty close to an epidural. Please don't be worried yet. See what your doctor says first.
Good luck.
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Hi nausetlight,

I've had my 6 week check up today. I asked the consultant about the numbess above my incision and also in my right thigh. He said the numbness above the incision is due to nerve damage from the surgery and could take up to 18 months to recover. He said some women still have some residual numbness in the centre of the incision that never goes away!

I asked about my leg and if it could be due to the position I was put in for the TAH. He said it would be where there is a wedge to hold you in place when you're tilted backwards (Trendelenburg position) but that the wedge is padded and I wasn't in surgery long enough for that to have caused any damage. Also you're held in position more at your shoulders and knees. He did say it could again be nerve damage due to the surgery as the femoral nerves go through the pelvic cavity and could have been compressed or damaged during the surgery. He says the same as the incision nerves - it may take 18 months to repair itself, so wait and see.

I'm not sure if this helps, but these are the answers I was given!!
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM

I am 15 days out of my LAVH BSO. I have the same pain in my right thigh. My Doctor said that they often stretch or compress some nerves during surgery and that it should get better. She easily admitted that nerve damage happens during surgery. Seems a lot of Dod'c do not want to say it but mine did.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmoremandy View Post
I am 15 days out of my LAVH BSO. I have the same pain in my right thigh. My Doctor said that they often stretch or compress some nerves during surgery and that it should get better. She easily admitted that nerve damage happens during surgery. Seems a lot of Dod'c do not want to say it but mine did.
I think they only tell you what it is after it's happened! They don't want to tell you upfront. I don't blame my doctor for it happening, I just wanted to know what it was and when it will improve.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I have had hip arthritis for a couple of yrs now, and until the surgery, the pain was touch and go. Since surgery, pain in hip/thigh has be awful! I was in surgery for 5 hrs, and if you all are saying they put you in these weird positions, makes sense. I am sure not many docs do want to admitt nerve damage, for many reasons.
I hope you all get better really soon and find something to help. I use a heating pad and that seems to give me some relief. Best wishes to everyone!
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks horseslover,

I had a look on the internet about some of the positions they put you in. Glad I didn't know before the surgery.

Hope your pain from your op gets better. I was only in surgery for 1.5 hours - so it must be bad after 5 hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register