Removing my ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Removing my ovaries Removing my ovaries

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Angry - Removing my ovaries Removing my ovaries

Hello all you sisters out there.... I have been seriously considering having my ovaries removed and put an end to this peri-menopausal nightmare I am in !

My hormone doctor changed my thyroid meds and my hormone cream AGAIN and it has got me so besided myself with problems. I've called him and told him and he said he looked over all my labs and don't feel my issues are hormone related !! (GIVE ME A BREAK) ! Before he made these changes, I was pretty miserable, now, Im DOUBLE miserable !

In conversation with him on my last office visit, he told me that peri-menopause is HELL and until I reach menopause, it will be up and down. He said that menopause is easier to control your hormones and etc...

SO... after thinking and reading and researching... I think I am going to have my ovaries removed, it would be an END to my horrible migraines, my everyday PMS I am having. Im 48 years old and I don't feel I have a life left the way I feel. I don't wanna work, I don't wanna do anything because I feel like CRAP all day, every day ! That is not the way I wanna live my life and GOD only knows for how long?

PLEASE can anyone shed some light for me ? Any suggestions from anyone about this issue

Much love to you all ~

Vanilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Re: Removing my ovaries

I had my ovaries removed during radical hysterectomy. I am 46 years old and I think surgical menopause is hell. I went right into having hot flashes and night sweats and the're no fun,especially the night sweats.I wake up drenched in sweat .
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Removing my ovaries

Vanilla I don't understand how it would be easier to control your hormones if you were menopausal vs. peri-menopausal. I have heard of women having problems with and without ovaries, peri-menopausal, and menopausal on here. There are a lot of women on hormones with and without ovaries...and it takes some adjusting of the levels. If you know why or what your doctor meant by that statement can you or someone else reading this enlighten me please?

I have my ovaries to. They haven't been working I guess. I am on estrogen patches..some of my symptoms are gone with the patch..some symptoms are helped..some are not. But I guess I'll have to have the doctor up my dose to see if that helps. I was actually thinking about talking to my doctor about testosterone and progestrogen. (I hope I spelled them right)

I would just investigate and research this before I had any further surgeries and removals. Maybe you can fix these issues some other way. Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Removing my ovaries

I have no ovaries now but had the hysterectomy 9 years before having ovaries removed. Those 9 years were difficult because my ovaries worked then quit, then worked (sort of) then quit. I tried using estrogen patches because my estrogen level was so low, but then at times the ovaries worked and it was so hard to control the level of estrogen. Had symptoms of too much, too little, etc...

Now that ovaries are gone, at least it with hormone replacement, it was starting over with a clean slate - no estrogen - so able to start from scratch. I wouldn't say it's been easy, but at least I don't have to deal with the ovaries on again/off again.

I don't see any reason to remove healthy ovaries though, as they definitely serve important functions in hormone production. But if they were diseased, or encased in endometriosis (as mine were), the I would consider it especially if the doctor recommended it.
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM

I had my ovaries removed, and don't think it solves hormone problems, but brings on new ones. I did not realize how hard it can be to regulate hormones and find one that will work well. The higher the HRT dose seems to help most symptoms, but the side effects are not pleasant at all. The low dose cuts out some unpleasant side effects , but then it is not high enough to help with menopausal symptoms, and so it goes........ .

Please read the posts in the Surgical Menopause forum and see how hard it is for some women to find balance or even find one HRT that will work for them. I would not remove healthy ovaries, as they produce hormones that affect every organ in our bodies. Women have complained about things like high BP, cholestorol, anxiety, joint pain, depression, loss of libido, vaginal atrophy, weight gain, headaches, insomnia, etc. HRT does not necessarily help these things, as it is not what our ovaries make, but what man has made.

I would read and research before I made a life changing decision....sugical menopause is not easy, even with HRT.

Unread 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your response. I think you might have misunderstood my inquiry. I don't think that by having my ovaries removed it is a cure all or i won't have anymore problems.

I am tired of the roller coaster side of peri-menopause. I cannot function... Cannot keep a job; do not wanna do anything like most 48 year old women.

I just thought that being in menopause it would be 'easier" to control my ups and downs of all these horrible symptoms. I have all them now that you all talk about... What could be worse then just skipping the hump of peri and on into menopause. I have numerous migraines that are induced by the hormones up and down and cannot function like a normal person. I cannot keep a job.... I have never ever had this problem before.

I don't know how to end this nightmare i am in.. I've tried every drug every thing i can think of, i've done everything my doctor has told me....

I surely don't wanna win a beauty prize or a contest, all i want is for my life to be functional !!! Is that too much to ask

vanilla
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM

** vanilla.

i had my last ovary removed in october and can only say that for me it has not made things any easier.
i went from the occasional hot flash and headaches , insomnia to everything maximized.
since i live in the tropics the hot flashes especially are hell....
but i made the choice of having the last ovary removed after 2 years of nothing but pain and misery..
at least the pain is mostly gone now though.

still for me it was the right choice i think...
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM

hEY ZJADIRAH...

THE MIGRAINES I HAVE ARE A DOUBLE NIGHTMARE !! THEY ARE HORMONLY INDUCED.. SO, WHEN I AM UP AND DOWN, MY HEAD HURTS ALL THE TIME.

IM THINKING THAT AT LEAST MY MIGRAINES WOULD BE BETTER... AND IM ALREADY ON BIO-IDENTICAL'S...

I DON'T KNOW, IM SO BESIDES MY SELF MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY.
NOT BEING ABLE TO FUNCTION IN LIFE... IS SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT WOULD BE POSSIBLE FOR ME.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMPUT AND I WISH YOU PRAYERS AND HAPPINESS
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM

i know what you mean...

for me i just saw no other way of dealing with things.
no hormones or meds did me any good at all..

and so now i am menopausal but happier over all i think...

i wish you much luck and hope that you will feel better soon...
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Hello Zjadirah...

Can I ask you... since you had your ovaries removed, you say your happier than before ? Do you have many symptoms of menopause?

I honestly am not sure that the hormones ARE doing me any good, because I have been on SO many different doses, adjustments, lab work... WHY can't they get it right.. Im going to go bankrupt before I figure this all out.

Can I ask you WHY you got your's removed ? I am thankful that my ovaries are healthy and I don't think I have any kind of cancers.... Im just down right miserable and am trying to find ways to get off the darn rollar coaster. Losing my job was the WORSE and being 48 yrs old, I wonder if I will ever be able to keep a job the way I feel so sick all the time.

Thank you for listening.... and I appreciate any answers you can give.

Much Love,

Vanilla ~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register