Scheduled TAH Bowel prep ! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Bowel prep !

Hello, I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy minutes before my TAH. I have to do a complete bowel prep prior to my surgery. I will of course be completely empty in my bowels. I was wondering if anyone can tell me who has had to do a 2 day bowel prep......When you returned home after surgery , How long before did you have a bowel Movement. I am sure I will have alot of gas after surgery but not likely a bowel movement. Liquid diets don't exactly help with bowel movements. I plan on buying some prune juice after I return home. Weird question but it would be nice to have some idea of what to expect.

Thankyou for your help
Pauline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Re: Bowel prep !

I had the same bowel prep for my colonoscopy in July as I did for my surgery in Nov. You only have to clean out once. The clean out itself is not fun. I would guess you would not expect a bowel movement for at least 3 days. After my colonoscopy it might have just been 2. I hate to say this, but reading post op it might even be as long as 5 days. I had some rectal surgery also, so I had high enemas for 2 weeks. I did not have bowel issues, because of this. You will probably be given instructions for stool softeners and gas relief. Before you leave the hospital ask the Dr. what to do for constipation in case you need to know. Pain medicine can cause constipation. You should eat a high fiber diet, drink lots of water and walk as much as possible afer surgery. The post op section will help you after surgery.. I would not bother looking at that part of the site until after surgery. I feel pretty good after 6 weeks. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. The waiting and worrying (and maybe the prep) are the worst part. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:48 AM

It was 4 days post-op for me. The nurses started me on stool softeners 2 times a day.....then when I got home I added 3 doses of metamucil a day and 3-4 cups of senna tea.

Everything in the BM dept seems to be back to normal.....at 2.5 weeks post-op......I am staying on the stool softeners till my 6 week post-op appt......and also try to have high fiber foods......oatmeal and prunes(2-4 a day). Be sure to drink plenty of water....and do know that pain meds cause constipation.

My insurance company cover any post-op appts up to 90 days after surgery. So it is nice to know that I can call or go and see my gyn if I need to with any post- op concerns. Not sure if this is standard or not.

Good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM

I did not need stool softeners or prune juice at all. In my experience, those are necessary only when you continue pain killers at home like vicodin which make you constipated. I actually had a BM on day 3, while still in the hospital. I warn you that the stool moving through the bowels can hurt (and so can the gas!!) so don't think you are dying or something is terribly wrong. It just hurts as it moves through the areas that were shoved around. They won't let you leave the hospital unless you have passed gas, so you will know that it is all working correctly. If you continue on pain killers (I didn't -- I just took tylenol) then you may need the stool softeners. But take it easy on those, too. I think you will find that everything starts moving again easily. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register