Endometrial Cancer: ? Re: follow up | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? Re: follow up ? Re: follow up

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
? Re: follow up

Hi Guys
I would like to know how often in the first year you get CT scans, or what exactly your follow up consists of?

Thanks
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Re: ? Re: follow up

You will probably have a pelvic exam and maybe a PAP. But as far as scans, I have learned from other sisters that this varies from doctor to doctor and what their protocols are. Do you have a follow up soon?

My local dr. doesn't do the scans as often unless absolutely necessary, in my case it was necessary. But my dr. in Cleveland does them 3 months after treatment and then every 6 months. I guess that is a good example of how doctors do things differently.
Unread 01-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Well I guess my question was because I have read where some have a CT every 6 months and others just an exam. Some have expressed concern about all the CT scans.
I have read a wide smattering of approaches in the studies as well.
So I guess I was wondering what the reality is.
I have had abdominal pain since Dec 22, and am hoping to get into my chem/onc this week, having failed at getting in with rad/onc, or gyne/onc.
The pain started rather suddenly and is worse sometimes than others, but is really worrying me. I have read where the main side effects of recurrence of endometrial cancer are vaginal bleeding, pelvic pain, abdominal pain, unexplained weight loss, or cough.
A phone call to my gyne/oncs partner suggested immodium, which constipates, and I took it and it constipated. I never really had diarrhea to begin with, just the pain. I guess I am getting quite afraid that I might have a recurrence, and so am trying to figure out if he will do a CT scan.
It has been 4 months since the last ct scan, so was just kind of curious how often they are done generally.
I had malignant cells in the abdominal wash so know I am at higher risk of abdominal metastasis, so I figured that that would present as abdominal pain.
Anyways, just another sista freaking out.....
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 02:02 AM

Janet:
My gyn/onc does them every 4-6 months. I have not questioned him on it until recently... All have been clear since surgery and the cost is quite prohibitive ( I pay on avg. approx 12-1500 each time). I had heard each one is equivalent to 3 yrs of sunshine, so I joked with him that he was getting in the radiation whether i had taken it or not. I think my doctor is doing them more often since I have not had any treatment other than surgery and I also had the cells in the wash.
The only other thing I would add is if you would feel more comfortable getting one, it never hurts to ask. The pain should not be ignored. I would definitely get checked out.. Something else could be going on totally unrelated to cancer or possibly a bowel obstruction from the radiation.
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:35 AM

Janet,
The gyn/onc told me that I don't get a CT-scan at all, unless there are reasons to do them. She also tells me each time that if I am worried, or if there are symptoms that may point in a certain direction, she will do other tests than the regular pap and HPV test. Goal for the both of us is that I am reassured when I leave her office, or at least know what is going on.

Seems to me that you need some reassurance. Hope you get it, soon, too!
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM

I have them annually unless I have symptoms~~~ as I recently did. THEN they will do additional scans. I was on a clinical trial drug so they make me have a scan annually so they can configure the numbers etc...which my Drs prescribe. This latest MRI was for them AND because I had hip pain. Two birds with one stone~~~~
I agree~~~ It seem to depend on one's DR and how advanced their cancer was before treatments.
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM

After surgery, I was seen once every 3 months. The dr did a pap smear, pelvic exam and a rectal exam. I had a CT scan before surgery and didn't have another until the reoccurence 2 years later.

I'm waiting to see what the schedule is going to be now.

Lyn
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Hi Janet!

I, too have suffered from abdominal pain, but I'm attributing mine to an umbilical hernia which has grown. I guess I did too much too quickly after surgery. It occurs frequently and I even get chills and run a low grade fever.

I'm going to have a surgical repair so I hope that helps the situation.

My doctor schedules a chest, pelvic, and abdominal CT with contrast every three months. I, too am worried about all of the radiation and am wondering who I can ask about the amount the machine produces.
She said that I can drop out of the study and just get them every 6 months to a year. I'm seriously considering that.

If your last CT scan came back ok, and you are a grade one, it doesn't seem that a recurrance could have happened that quickly. It probably wouldn't hurt to get it checked out, though.

Take care and keep us posted.

Jan
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Hi Jan
Looks like we are the same Stage/grade, seems like on this forum it is always good to see someone in a similar situation.
Not sure why that is....

What was your chemo, radiation treatment?

I am seeing my doc tomorrow, but I figure I have sorted out what is wrong.
I have radiation enteritis, at least from all the reading I have done is what it sounds like.
Sounds like I need to stop eating to make this pain go away. Its like Crohns disease, or ulcerative colitis.

I sure wish my rad/onc had told me about the full bladder thing before I had been on radiation for 2 weeks.
janet

I WILL keep you posted
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Hi Lyn
If you don't mind me asking, how did your recurrence get found?
You and I did radiation at the same time.

Janet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register