Cervical Cancer: Those who had HPV/Cervical Cancer--Vaccine question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Those who had HPV/Cervical Cancer--Vaccine question Those who had HPV/Cervical Cancer--Vaccine question

Unread 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Those who had HPV/Cervical Cancer--Vaccine question

Is your Doctor recommending any kind of monitoring due to HPV in terms of preventing other HPV related cancers? I have been corresponding with a well known HPV researcher and she is recommending the Cervarix vaccine--she states:
I would advise you to get the Cervarix vaccine. This vaccine is the only HPV vaccine that is proven to prevent future precancerous lesions caused by five oncogenic HPV types. There is no evidence that the HPV vaccines will prevent oral or anal cancers at this time, but it only makes sense that these similarly caused HPV cancers will be prevented by the vaccines as well.

Any thoughts on this? Elyse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Re: Those who had HPV/Cervical Cancer--Vaccine question

From what I was told once you have had HPV or cervical cancer the vaccines are rendered useless. Personally I would risk the side effects.
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Yes, I was told the same but this person is an HPV researcher so I think it's interesting and something I may pursue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM

the hpv vaccines (gardasil and cervarix) can protect you against strains of hpv that you don't already have, and the side effects are generally no different from any vaccination. if you're under 26 (i believe the fda approval currently has this age maximum), particularly if you may have exposures from new partners, the vaccine makes lots of sense! i'm not sure if there's been any studies of the vaccine with women who have had cancer, but lots of studies with women who have already had at least exposure to one hpv strain, as well as women with cervical dysplasia.
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Hi catwoman--the hpv researcher who wrote the above info. knows that I am 46 and have had cc and still recommends it in the hopes of preventing other HPV related cancers. Her name is Diane Harper and she seems to be a major HPV researcher. It seems it hasn't been tested in the this context but her email suggests the vaccine could prevent future lesions...
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I am really surprised by your post. It is completely new to me. On my last visit my gyn/onc told me that the chance that I would get another cancer b/c of my HPV was very very very very very small.
I am definitely going to research what is the opinion overhere on this subject. I'll let you know!
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Thank you! Eventually i will be seeing a gny/onc who's area of speciality is HPV. (I got his name from Dr. Harper) and he's in New York City which is close to where I live. It will probably be several weeks but I will report back. I am hoping that chances of getting other cancers is very rare but I will report back. My sense is that regular gyn/oncs are not always totally up to date regarding HPV. There's just so many hours in the day...
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM

I've been doing some research and I have to say I find a lot of information that is quite different. For instance, it is said that Diana Harpers research is paid for a great deal by the producers of Cervarix and Gardasil and also that she herself says that the vaccinations are more or less experimental. I read that it is even doubted whether HPV causes cerv.ca. Seems that there is not proof of that. Yes, there is a relation, but is HPV the cause? Or is it the question whether the inability of the body to fight HPV is significant in developing cancer.
I even read that a vaccination with Gardasil to prevent other types of HPV may lead to a 44% bigger chance on cancer.

I don't really know what is true and what is not. This is the downside of internet: there is so much information, but not always is clear to me how to judge the information. Who is speaking the truth? And how do I know they do?

Yes, I really do look into information, but I sometimes also do wonder if having this information will help me from not getting cancer again.
I, as many of us here, of course am terrified by the idea of recurrences. However, at the same time I strongly believe that life gives no insurance. I even do believe that, odd as it may sound, sometimes something very bad can be very good too (a blessing in disguise). If I hadn't had cancer with all its uncertainties and fears, esp. in the beginning, I would have never known that I had so much inner strength. I probably would have been going on and on and on and on in my job, knowing the way I was leading my life wasn't healthy for me, not good, yet not being able to change it. In this way cancer has truly changed my life, and absolutely not for the worse.

This said, I will still ask my gyn/onc about her point of view when I do see her again.
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Hi Anna-I agree with everything you are saying. I have NO idea whether the vaccine makes sense. I emailed Dr. Harper on a whim and I was impressed that she emailed me back immed. I also read an article about her in a Dartmouth magazine and she sounds like a doctor who truly wants to help people. That said--i realize she's paid to some degree by drug companies. She also says that the vaccine has negatives and positives. I think my position is that I want to be as informed as possible and not ever feel I was no my own health advocate. I feel like w/ CC that happened a bit as I knew i had HPV but never found out the strain and never asked for more than a pap. In retrospect I could have asked for ECCs as adenocarcinoma is frequently missed on paps.
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM

It's ironic b/c I am historically very antic vaccine. My young children have not been vaccinated and I always thought Gardasil was truly scary and I was glad my daughters are young enough that I need not worry! Now after my dx and hysterectomy the thought of a vaccine that may protect me from other HPV cancers sounds pretty good!!! I realize that this is unlikely and I certainly won't do it without being very convinced. The though of it increasing the chance of cancer is truly frightening. I guess I just feel helpless and wish there was something I could do so not to worry about future HPV cancers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register