Hyst due to to screw up during C-Section??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst due to to screw up during C-Section??? Hyst due to to screw up during C-Section???

Unread 06-04-2000, 07:31 PM
Hyst due to to screw up during C-Section???

I am still looking for anyone who has had to have a hyst as a result of their C-section??? Anyone ever heard of this??? My doctor nicked an artery during my c-section and then never fixed it, so 6 weeks later, I had to have a hyst. and came very close to dying. (I posted my story about 2 months ago on the story board "More of a nightmare than a story") I can't find anyone who has ever heard of such a thing and would really like to hear from anyone who has had this happen, or has ever heard of this happening. Thanks. MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2000, 07:49 PM

MB- No- I havent heard of this particular screw-up. That must have been very difficult for you. My sister had 2 babies by C section and had chronic pelvic pain for 18 months after her 2nd baby. They went in for exploratory surgery and the doc told her that every internal organ she had was "out of place". Some sloppy housekeeping, huh?
There have been a few ladies with nicked bladders who didnt know it until they were "surprised" when they got home, by urine running out of their vagina. This is pretty rare but there are a few cases of it here and on other hysterectomy message boards. At least it's fixable.
Did your doc KNOW that he nicked the artery and ignored it? Or was it discovered later?
I hope that you have been on the phone with the best attorney in town. There was an article in yesterday's paper about a woman who went in for supracervical hysterectomy and woke up without her cervix. I guess he -"Forgot" or thought it didnt matter- and took it. She won something like $2.5 million in damages.
How are you feeling about the hysterectomy? I hope that you are doing ok.
Take Care
TAH/BSO 3/7/00
Unread 06-04-2000, 08:05 PM
Thanks for reply

Thank you so much for your reply. I am very angry at my doctors for doing this to me. They knew what they had done to me, but they didn't even tell me that they had "lost" half of my blood until I started going into shock 2 days later. They never said, we are sorry, this happened, but this is what we are going to do to fix it. Whenever I would call them and say I was bleeding, they would say, don't worry, it's normal. What paper was that article in??? I would be very interested in reading it. I can't tell you how glad I am to get your reply. I have hired an attorney and want to put these doctors out of business. Again, THANK YOU for your reply. MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2000, 08:49 PM

MB- It was in my local newspaper but it was an AP wire story-so it didnt happen locally. Wow! you lost almost 1/2 of your blood? Didnt they give you a blood transfusion?
Have you gotten copies of all of your operation and hospitalization reports? If not-do that tomorrow- go to the hospital medical records department and ask for them.
Am glad that you are OK now! What a horrible ordeal
TAH/BSO 3/7/00
Unread 06-05-2000, 09:18 AM

Analyze Thys - I have gotten all of my records. It took a while because I was in 3 different hospitals. I lost 1/2 of my blood during the c-section, and had a transfusion, then over christmas and new years, I started bleeding and lost ALL of my blood. They were sqweezing bags of blood into me. I was lucky I was in the hospital, already hooked up to an IV at the time, or I wouldn't be here today. I am going to try and put these people out of business for what they did. I have retained a lawyer and they are working on it now. Not only did they make LOTS of mistakes, but they didn't care at all and were nasty to me and my husband, telling him to stop babying me and that I should be back on my feet, at a time when I was slowly dying. I am so glad for your response, I can't find anybody who has ever heard of anything like this before, and really need to talk to someone about it. THANKS AGAIN!!! MB
Unread 06-05-2000, 08:32 PM

Wow
When there is a bad doctor around, they are REALLY BAD! And you would think after they do something wrong to you, that they would be extra compassionate. But no, they just act like your a big baby. I am so sorry about your difficulties. You must have been very scared when you realized that you were losing so much blood.

I am sorry I have not heard of this problem before. But I am surprised that it happened, the artery should have been very visible with an open abdominal cavity??

Take Care and keep posting!
Unread 06-06-2000, 09:21 AM

MB,

What a nightmare! I am so sorry you have had to go through this! The mental anguish must be worse than your recovery pain! I hope you sue the pants off these people! I have heard of this happening before, in fact, you may want to get a hold of the surgery consent form and see if it was listed as a possible complication. The signing of this form does not excuse the negligence of the doc! Neglecting to inform you what had happened is inexcusable! Did they have to transfuse you? I wish you the best of luck w/ your recovery! How's the baby? Healthy and happy, I hope.

Wendy
Unread 06-11-2000, 07:53 AM

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your terrible experience. I didn't have the same experience, but during one of my c-sections, the anesthesia wore off and the anesthesiologist was no where to be found! They wisked my dh away out of the OR and finished the section with no additional anesthesia! The anethesiologist came to my room afterward and blamed it on the pharmacy labeling the vile wrong - what should have lasted 2 hours only lasted 20 minutes!! When I went to an attorney though, he requested my medical records from the hospital. No mention of any of it in there - the medical staff covered their butts by not recording it at all. Hense, my word against theirs, case closed. I have lost so much respect for the medical profession. I sure hope that you come out on top of this. Good Luck!! Let us know what happens, okay?
Unread 06-11-2000, 08:20 AM

DonnaB- That happened to me when I went to an ER with my right wrist snapped in two and the bone poking out the side of my arm. After admitting me and holding me in an exam room for 2 hours - they threw me out because the orthopedic surgeon didnt like my insurance. The nurse told me- "The doctor wants you to leave." I didnt get my arm set until 8 hours later at another hospital. When I went to the first hospital to get my records where they had admitted me to the ER...they had written: "Patient voluntarily left to seek treatment elsewhere." So- hospitals DO mess with your written medical records!! Sad, isnt it?
Unread 06-11-2000, 02:27 PM

It is absolutely horrifying that the medical community messes with our records! I also sent for my hospital records and in there did not mention a word that I was discharged with blood in my urine and a 101 fever!! And when I received my records from my gyn it mentioned I had called on several occasions for "pain with urination". It doesn't mention blood in my urine or my fever and severe bladder spams. If fact I never had painful urination!!

It is so frustrating.............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register