Pre-Cancer: Just a few questions before next appt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just a few questions before next appt Just a few questions before next appt

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Just a few questions before next appt

Hello,

and I have a couple of questions maybe some of you can offer me some advice on.

I am having a hysterectomy next month due to issues with dysplasia for almost 12 years. I have 4 children, the tubes are tied, and well...I find no reason to keep my innards when faced with pre-cancerous cells 1 too many times.

In another post I shared that I recently changed my GYN due to his lack of concern with CIN II (again) and his approach of wait and watch. One spot was CIN I the others were CIN II and his once mentioned LEEP became no longer an option.

Anyway....my new gyn who I have known for over a year (from working in pharmacy) is doing a repeat pap and check on me the end of this month to see if there are any changes (to see if we need to move surgery sooner). My previous doc did NOT do an ECC and I was wondering if this is something I should or could request my new doc to do?

Lately, the watery discharge is increasing. I am married, we are both monogamous, so it is not possible that it is a symptom of an STD. Not to mention, aside from the HSIL found in my pap, I was all clear. So, what the heck is it caused from???

Also, I keep getting a sharp pain in my left butt cheek! It is only in one spot, but at times I often find myself pressing my finger on my cheek to subdue some of that pain.

Using the restroom can be a task sometimes...while I do have IBS I find sometimes I now have to rock with a bowel movement....umm, why? It's like it is hard to achieve what I need to do. I feel like I am falling apart, and I am only 36!

I know these are all random things, but the old doc brushed them off, the new doc...I was so excited she listened to me I forgot to mention half of this stuff. Are these related to one another? Things I need to worry about? Or just things that happen as us women age??

Oh yea, one more thing. I had an unsuccessful ablation 10/2008. I still have a regualr period and cramps. Should I mention that when asking about the ECC? Or is the failure rate of the ablation high enough where still having a period is nothing to worry about?

Thank you all in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Re: Just a few questions before next appt

Hi there
I guess I am uncertain what ECC is, but as for the watery discharge, much as I would hate to create unnecessary worry, I would worry about endometrial cancer.
That is the one symptom I really wished I had not ignored. (well one of a few). But I do know it is one of the symptoms of endometrial cancer, and since you have had an ablation, I am not sure how good endometrial biopsies are, HOWEVER you are having a hysterectomy so you will have the ultimate biopsy then
I would just ask your gyne about this......
just my worth
Heres hoping that you have a successful surgery
janaet
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I am having a Da Vinci tommorrow due to endometrial adenocarcinoma. I thought the main symptom was spotting or heavy bleeding. I do have a clear mucous looking discharge (very slight) on the toilet paper. That's the only symptom I've had. I didn't realize this was anything and didn't
even notice it until after my diagnosis and started paying attention. Not to scare you-but I wish I had known this could be a sign for uterine cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Hey VCAZ
Here's wishing you the best with your surgery, and hope it turns out that you have caught it
very early
Janet
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

I'm sorry arunner. An ECC is endocervical curettage. Everything I have read says that when you have a colposcopy an ECC is done so it can get a sample of cells from the mucous membrane of the endocervical canal which is often a missed area during a pap.

Thanks to my previous doc, for not doing that colposcopy last year I am sure the ECC may be pointless now since I did have the ablation!

Uggghh...I am just so frustrated these days! The not knowing really freaks me out. The fact my job won't cover my short term disability til some time next month freaks me out...I mean, a month can be a long time "if" there is something more wrong!

It also makes me more and more mad at my previous doc because I seen him 4 times after my surgery and did not find out til this past pap that he never did anything during the abaltion! I saw him for frequent urination, the watery discharge, the still having periods and cramps, and for pain with sex....yea, he said my husband should ease up some...ugh, what a pig, and why didn't I change docs sooner????

By no means am I freaking out or thinking something more is wrong with me....but I am wondering about the what ifs and if I should change my doc appt sooner to address these concerns? ha ...I guess the previous couple sentences contradict one another, but I am sure you all understand what I mean....
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM

I am not sure that ECC would be pointless since the ablation, I only think that endometrial biopsies are sometimes less accurate after ablation. An endometrial biopsy is not the same as an ECC.

Now that I think of it, was your ablation an endometrial ablation, or a cervical one? Sorry I just assumed you meant an endometrial ablation.
And it sounds like you can possibly get watery discharge for some time after either of them, but it would seem like this is a long time though.
Sounds like a rather insensitive doctor....
are you saying he was not there for your ablation??
Waiting sure is a drag
I thought the 10 days I had to wait after a CA diagnosis seemed like forever.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM

I've had 2 colposcopies and I don't think my OBGYN ever did an ECC. Thanks for sharing, as I had never heard of it either. I did have a drastic increase in watery discharge prior to my official diagnosis.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM

arunner, he did the endometrial ablation because of very heavy periods and horrible cramps. He did the balloon method. He did tell me for the few weeks following the ablation, during the healing time, that I could experience the watery discharge. But surely not 14 almost 15 months later?!?!? Yes, he was present during the surgery. When I mentioned he didn't do anything, I was referring to the fact that while he was there he didn't do the colposcopy, or any other type of biopsy for that matter. When I asked him about it this past Nov when I had my colposcopy he said it should have been in the surgical orders. Ok, now...I may not be a doctor, but I worked with a few for a couple years and I know orders can be changed during surgery to take care of everything that needs to be done right then and there....ok, because a lil biopsy of the cervic would have really took up alot of his time???

femtech, was your discharge odorless? For lack of a better way for me to describe it, it is almost as though if I didn't know better I would think I was "tinkling" on myself....lol
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM

no you are right, that is a long time to still have discharge...
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Yes, it was odorless and for a while it was relatively clear, but then started having some color (tho not necessarily like blood..it was really odd). My OBGYN diagnosed me with bacterial vaginosis so I just assumed the discharge was because of that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register