Pre cancerous cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre cancerous  cells Pre cancerous cells

Unread 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Pre cancerous cells

I was told in Oct 09 after having a D&C for excessive bleeding that if the bleeding didnot stop I would need a
hysterectomy. I asked if they had found any cancer and was told no, but that the hysterectomy was for precautionery reasons. I said OK, but than later changed my mind. Than the doctor told me that they found precancer
cells in the lining of my uterus. This made me wonder why
I was not told this in the beginning and why I was not given
andy alternative other than a fully hysterectomy in which
they would have to open me up.

Do precancer cells always turn into cancer? I had lap band
surgery in Oct 09 and did not want to another surgery so
soon. Since I would have to be out of work for 6 weeks.
Should I get a second opinion and can I request by records from this GYN to take to another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Re: Pre cancerous cells

Precancerous cells do not ALWAYS turn cancerous, but they do in high enough numbers that hysterectomy is a justifiable treatment. My sister had what you have and I had more advanced disease, and she feels extremely lucky that she had her hysterectomy at her stage instead of when I had mine. I sure wished mine had been caught at that stage and only needed surgery.

Janet
Unread 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM

lildoo48 -

You can most most certainly request your records and get additional opinions. you may even want to consult with a gynecological oncologist.

Sometimes even though a D&C shows pre-cancer, after the hysterectomy it is diagnosed as early stage cancer. My gyn-onc told me there is a fine line between pre-cancer and early stage cancer. Also reading pathology reports is as much of an art as a science. What one pathologist may read as pre-cancer another may read as early stage cancer.

Since this is a one-way trip and things can't be replaced afterward you definitely need to feel comfortable so get that 2nd or 3rd opinion.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2010, 02:35 PM

A second (or third!) opinion is ALWAYS a good idea when considering medical treatment. And, we strongly recommend seeing a gyn/onc when cancer is suspected or diagnosed. They are the experts in this field, and you definitely want the best where your health is concerned.

Yes, the gyn/onc will be able to get your records, path reports, even the actual slides if he/she wants. The new office will have you sign a release form, and they should take it from there.

Remember, we're here 24/7!!

monami
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildoo48 View Post
I was told in Oct 09 after having a D&C for excessive bleeding that if the bleeding didnot stop I would need a
hysterectomy. I asked if they had found any cancer and was told no, but that the hysterectomy was for precautionery reasons. I said OK, but than later changed my mind. Than the doctor told me that they found precancer
cells in the lining of my uterus. This made me wonder why
I was not told this in the beginning and why I was not given
andy alternative other than a fully hysterectomy in which
they would have to open me up.

Do precancer cells always turn into cancer? I had lap band
surgery in Oct 09 and did not want to another surgery so
soon. Since I would have to be out of work for 6 weeks.
Should I get a second opinion and can I request by records from this GYN to take to another?
If you do need surgery perhaps you might be able to have the Davinci robotic lap procedure. That's what I had for my mod rad hyst and I also was not wanting surgery because my lapband surgery was 9 months prior. I recovered quite quickly and my stomach just looked like a dart board for awhile!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register