I'm having period pain without the period! HELP!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm having period pain without the period! HELP!! I'm having period pain without the period! HELP!!

Unread 09-29-2001, 08:15 AM
I'm having period pain without the period! HELP!!

I am 5 1/2 months post op. My doctor told me that since I kept my ovaries that I'd have all the symptoms of a period without the bleeding. Cramping, PMS, headache, bloating, etc. Since my surgery I haven't had much of a problem in that area. This week, I have had such pain that I've had to take a few pain pills and have stayed in bed the past 2 days. Now this would be the time of which I would normally have my period. So I'm assuming that it is related to that. To be specific, the pain is in my pelvic area and down the back of both of my legs. And boy does it hurt. I used to refer to it as the baseball bat syndrome because it feels like someone has hit me between the legs with a baseball bat.

If I still have this much pain on Monday I'll call my doctor. Has anyone else had this problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2001, 03:25 PM

Hi,
I have the same pains daily sometimes its more severe than others. I had my Hyst 21 months ago and have had this since. I did have to have 2 additional surgeries and my Docs believe the pain is from Adhesions, which is Scar Tissue. Please let us know what your Doc says. Hope you can feel better soon!
Unread 09-30-2001, 04:25 PM

I had pain yesterday, but mine felt like a burning, dragging kind, like I got when I was due for my period. I'm 6 months post op too, and have my ovaries. My back was sore, and I was ready to call my doc until I realised that it would be my normal PMS time. I guess I'm lucky, the pain went away with 800 mg of ibuprofen. Should I keep an eye on this pain, or will it be around every monthat PMS time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2001, 08:27 PM

Bethany,

I wasn't too concerned because I too had realized that it was my normal period time. But normally, before my hyster, I would have this pain for maybe 1 day. And ibuprofen took care of it just fine. Today makes the 3rd day I've felt the pain. The past two days ibuprofen only dulled it enough so that I could get around. Today, ibuprofen has helped more. I am calling my doctor first thing tomorrow. I just feel like something isn't right. The pressure of urinating even hurts. It doesn't feel like a yeast infection nor a kidney infection. When I have the stabbing pains, they radiate all the way down my left leg into my foot. It's awful!

Take care and let me know how you do in the next few days.

Unread 10-01-2001, 10:50 AM

Karen, I hope by now you have spoken to your doc. As for me, I am ok, no pain now except in my back, and that is probably my arthritis from all this nasty rain we have here. Let me know how you are doing.
Unread 10-01-2001, 12:36 PM

Hello Sisters,

Now here's a strange one for ya...I no longer have my ovaries, and I swear that I can feel my body ovulating (sometimes I even get the same discharge that I used to pre-hyst~sorry for being gross!)

I too have daily period-like cramps. In fact my gut pain is pretty much the same as it was before I had my hyst The bonus is that I no longer get my period

I suggest to any and all of you experiencing pain to get it checked out by your dr's asap.

Sending 'S to each of you...
Unread 10-01-2001, 08:14 PM

Hello Sisters!

I did see my doctor today. He did a vaginal exam and an internal ultrasound. My left ovary was extremely tender even though both ovaries appeared fine and he said that my vaginal cuff had healed completely. He could not figure out why I was having so much pain. :confuse: He gave me a course of antibiotic to be on the safe side plus some pain meds. I have many other health issues going on right now. My doc was wondering if it were linked to any of those. I had a colonoscopy almost 2 weeks ago. I really don't think that has much to do with it. It is the EXACT same pain I used to have with my periods. Although the pain is much better today, I'm still concerned. I'm having steroid injections in my lower back on Friday. I'm also having knee surgery next Thursday. I really hope this pain doesn't return during that time.

Unread 10-01-2001, 10:15 PM
Also having period pain

When I read all the replies, I was surprised, because once again what my dr. says does not go along with anything I've been told and read! I've called on at least 4 occasions now post-hyst due to pain, and when I asked if it could be due to the "normal" time when my body would have been pms, etc, he laughed and said no, because I don't have my uterus, so how could it be that? I told him that I thought since he left my ovaries that it was possible, and he said No! He actually is finding me amusing, like it's phantom pains or something! Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I too, have a lot of period seeming pain, along with other pain that I had prior to surgery. The past week, I seem to have developed a lot of itching, and pressure in my vagina, including sharp shooting pains there. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Most of the pressure and burning is when I need to, or do urinate, so I guess that could be a UTI, huh? Sorry for the long reply!

I wish you all the best, and I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Stacey (TAH 8-28-01) kept ovaries
Unread 10-02-2001, 06:37 AM

Stacey,

I cannot believe that your doctor doesn't think you are having period pain. According to my , and everthing I've read, my ovaries still function like before. I still ovulate and go through PMS cycles as before, I just don't have the uterus to shed the lining. I can still feel when I ovulate sometimes. It even hurts more than before. I have found that my PMS symptoms are not as bad as before my hyster though.

I wonder how long this mess will last? I was hoping for a little more relief after my surgery. I guess that's the price I pay for keeping my ovaries, huh?
Unread 10-02-2001, 09:14 AM
WOW! gosh now i know its not in my head!!!!

Ok ladies let me join in here! I too have my overies and i get cramps and pain just like i'm going to get my period only no mess! i hurt worse then i did before! my doc also told me this would happen somedays i feel like crying i'm in so much pain!
At least i know i'm not the only one with these problems! I also believe i have adhesions and endo is back! I guess i need to call my doc again gosh i hope he does'nt blow me off!!
sending bunches of your way girls!
Love colette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register