Scheduled LAVH Realistic Recovery Time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Realistic Recovery Time? Realistic Recovery Time?

Unread 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Realistic Recovery Time?

What is a realistic recovery? I'm having a LAVH, on Monday January, 25th. My work is giving me six weeks off paid leave. The doctors says I'll be up and running in three weeks. What is a realistic recovery?
My last surgery, A uterine suspension and lap, kept me down for three weeks. i had to be injected twice with local pain killers. I do not heal well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Re: Realistic Recovery Time?

I had an LAVH/LSO and I was off work for 6 weeks. I was feeling pretty good at 3 weeks, but there would have been no way at all that I could have returned to work at that point. It wasn't the pain, it was the exhaustion! I was completely wiped out by the simplest of things. The first couple of weeks back to work really took it out of me too, and I have a desk job. I would come home, eat dinner, and go to bed.

So, if you find yourself extremely tired and needing naps, don't think that you are being a wimp at all. I've seen a lot of women post on here saying they feel like they're being wimpy because they need to nap so often. Don't feel that way - it's completely normal!! Your body will let you know when it needs rest, so listen to it and take advantage of the rest!! You'll feel much better if you do. You only get one chance to heal correctly, so make sure you pamper yourself!!
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Thank you. I have a desk job, as well. But, I just don't see me returning to work in 3 weeks. My OB is pretty good about listening to patients, and work has been amazing about taking the time off. Just trying to mentally prepare for the recovery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM

astrosperlemond -

Also remember that this is inital recovery, you may feel okay and be able to get to work but you very well could come home exhausted. It took me months to feel like I was 100% back.

There is a difference between initial and full recovery.

G.
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM

I think the recovery would be similar to your other surgery. By 4 weeks you feel better. Probably good enough that you will have to be careful not to overdue. You will probably feel good enough to go back to work at 6 weeks. I went back at 7 because I had some other surgery with sitting issues. The 1st week back was very tiring. This is my 2nd week and it was a 4 day week.. Hopefully you won't need the injections. good luck.
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I also have difficulty in healing so I can relate to your concerns. I can tell you that for me my recovery has been very slow. My doctor told me that it would take 3 weeks to recover but it has taken me a lot longer. Everyone is different but you may need the extra time. Let yourself heal because if you rush it, you may end up with more problems. I know that my biggest problem was being so tired every day. When I returned to work I spent the whole night with a heating pad because my body was in total spasms. I took it easier the next day and did better but it has been a long process. Good luck with everything.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM

I am now in my 5th week of recovery from LAVH/BSO and I would suggest you take advantage of your full 6 weeks. I went back to work 1 day short of 3 weeks and have regretted it. I am not in pain or anything, just alot of soreness and extremely wiped out. I have had to call into work twice since being back and they are pretty understanding, but if you can take 6 weeks I say go for it. You will probably get extremly bored because I did after only 2 weeks, but your body will definitly let you know when you do too much. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register