Endometrial Cancer: Hormone Therapy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Therapy Hormone Therapy

Unread 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Hormone Therapy

Hello Everyone!

I had a TAH/BSO in June 2009, and proceeded to 6 courses of chemo, but was only able to take 3 due to platelets staying below the required 100 level. I've had lab work done weekly since October, but the platelets tend to be only creeping back up and then slide a little at times, and back up again.

At today's visit with Onc/Surgeon, he said everything checked out, however, rather than wait for platelets to rise, as he doesn't think they will due to the bone marrow damage from the carbo, he suggested going on Progesterone therapy (Megree 40mg 4 times a day).

My question is has anyone either been placed on Progesterone therapy to hopefully kill any possible stray cancer cells? If so, what side effects have you noticed and what kind and how much Progesterone are you taking, and any other comments or thoughts are much appreciated.

Thank you,
Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Re: Hormone Therapy

Trish,

I'm sorry about your blood counts. Chemo can really do a number on them. I'm glad that your doctor has some other possibilities. I was on Megace--I don't know if it's even close to what you might be on. I was on it during radiation up until a week or so before I started chemo. My gyn/onc made me get off because of the clinical study. They wouldn't allow anything that might skew the results.

Good luck to you and please let us know how things are going.

Jan
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad hair day View Post
Trish,

I'm sorry about your blood counts. Chemo can really do a number on them. I'm glad that your doctor has some other possibilities. I was on Megace--I don't know if it's even close to what you might be on. I was on it during radiation up until a week or so before I started chemo. My gyn/onc made me get off because of the clinical study. They wouldn't allow anything that might skew the results.

Good luck to you and please let us know how things are going.

Jan
Thanks Jan for the quick reply, and thank you for giving the correct spelling to Megace. I took the spelling from the script the Dr gave me and no wonder I couldn't find anything on it!

I did find many posts on the med/hormone and am somewhat encouraged by the result, but still researching, and also wondering why hormone therapy isn't given to more people with the same problem.

Interesting that the Dr took you off of Megace prior to chemo, and I will keep that in mind just in case the Dr suggests doing both at the same time, but doubt he will.

Thanks again and hope you are doing well now...

Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM

So sorry you had such a hard time with chemo
Mine (wbc) took 4 months to come back up after last chemo and I got the neulasta each time. I realized later that that was the only way I could have gotten chemo.
I have seen in studies where they use progesterone in women with stage 1a GRADE 1 endo cancer when they are trying to preserve fertility. (these studies are in China)
and they had pretty good success at irradicating cancer.
Unread 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM

I was on it for 6 months while i had a pre-ca diagnosis..... it fixed my endometrium temporarily, but left me diabetic... it will raise your blood sugar and make you gain weight. megace is given to AIDS patients to make them gain weight, by the way. That was my experience with it.
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:21 PM

I was on megace for 6 months because of cells in my wash. I didn't gain weight while taking it. I actually slept and felt better while on it. Also, never affected my blood sugar which is tested regularly. I was told that it could affect weight so I was careful what I ate & made sure I kept exercizing. After I was off megace I wasn't as careful and did gain about 10 lbs. I was given the option to continue but decided not to because of the possible increased risk of breast cancer. I think that it affects everyone differently. If you do have bad side effects, I think there are other forms of progesterone you could try.
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunner View Post
So sorry you had such a hard time with chemo
Mine (wbc) took 4 months to come back up after last chemo and I got the neulasta each time. I realized later that that was the only way I could have gotten chemo.
I have seen in studies where they use progesterone in women with stage 1a GRADE 1 endo cancer when they are trying to preserve fertility. (these studies are in China)
and they had pretty good success at irradicating cancer.
All my counts are and have stayed in the normal range, and wbc never went down, but the platelets are crawling back up, so Dr is afraid they will tumble way down if chemo is given now; hence hormone therapy. Just took my first pill today, so hope all works out and no big side effects. If I do have the last 3 chemo treatments, it will be only taxol the Dr says, so we'll see.
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjas View Post
I was on megace for 6 months because of cells in my wash. I didn't gain weight while taking it. I actually slept and felt better while on it. Also, never affected my blood sugar which is tested regularly. I was told that it could affect weight so I was careful what I ate & made sure I kept exercizing. After I was off megace I wasn't as careful and did gain about 10 lbs. I was given the option to continue but decided not to because of the possible increased risk of breast cancer. I think that it affects everyone differently. If you do have bad side effects, I think there are other forms of progesterone you could try.
I hadn't heard about megace raising blood sugar, but maybe that's because one might eat more, and will ask Dr about that.

The printout that came with the med, said megace was used for endo and breast cancer, and Aids patients. I'm curious why if you stayed on the med, it could cause breast cancer? I need to research that as well. My Dr told me he has a patient that has been on megace for 9 years now, and that she's doing well.

I asked the Dr about bio-identical progesterone and he said that megace has a track record destroying cancer cells or stopping the growth of tumors.

Thanks to all for the comments....
Unread 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Some studies say that progesterins not estrogens raise bc risk. There are so many theories, who knows what to believe. I just didn't feel comfortable taking anything and my dr felt that if any stay cells were left after the hysterectomy, the megace would have worked in that time period.
Unread 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I have never heard of progesterone causing breast cancer either,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register