Could I need HRT or am I losing it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Could I need HRT or am I losing it Could I need HRT or am I losing it

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Could I need HRT or am I losing it

I had my hysterectomy April 2009 and felt great, no more pain, no more bleeding. Life was good.
However I've noticed the last few months that I have no patience with anything or anyone. I'm short tempered, always seem crabby, little to no sex drive and I cry at the drop of a hat. I'm crying over commercials, the people getting picked for American Idol, everything.

It's like I wake up in a honkerblonky mood and it doesn't get better as the day goes on. I'm just wondering if it's me just being a ***** or if I need horomones. I have an appt with my Dr. on February 23rd but was just wondering if anyone out there has gone through the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Re: Could I need HRT or am I losing it

Actually I called my Dr. last week because of similar symptoms. She kept telling me to wait a couple of months after surgery to see if my ovaries kicked in, but I couldn't take it any more. She started me on estrogen and within a couple of days I was feeling much better. My husband even noticed that I was better. Hang in there.
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:13 AM

See and mine has been since probably November. I realize I have an appointment in less than a month I just didnt want to have to deal with this for the next 3 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Post - Could I need HRT or am I losing it Re: Could I need HRT or am I losing it

Hi macswife,

I had depression, mood swings, weight gain, memory problems and confusion, fatigue, low sex drive, poor sleep.

Doctors kept telling me it was menopause, even though I tested as post-menopausal about six years ago. Never had hot flashes. I was not a candidate for hormone therapy anyway, because I have Factor V Leiden clotting disorder. So it was extremely frustrating to be told that my problems were from menopause, but the only thing I could take was black cohosh!

Finally had to see a shrink who would be willing to change my anti-anxiety medication. She felt it was depression/chemical imbalance, not menopause. I had been taking generic Wellbutrin for a couple of years, after switching from Wellbutrin brand to save money. When she changed my meds, she put me back on Wellbutrin brand, and increased from 300 to 450. Emotionally, I have improved greatly. The weight is still not coming off though. She will probably put me on Abilify if my cardiologist gives the okay. Stay away from GENERIC Wellbutrin! I truly belive that sent me into the worst depression of my life. It doesn't work the same as the brand. Even though I have to pay a lot more for brand, I will do it.

I have spent all of 2009 trying to find out what was wrong with me. Glad I didn't accept that it was menopause, because it wasn't. That might be a secondary issue to some degree, but it wasn't my main problem.

Good luck, and I hope you get help soon.
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:27 AM

I take 300 mg Wellbutrin XL and have also tried generic, it did nothing for me and I am paying the big bucks for the brand but it is so worth it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM

Thank you all so much. I"ll talk to my Dr and ask about the Wellbutrin. I'll also have her run some tests to check my hormone levels.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again
Michelle
Unread 02-01-2010, 07:42 PM

The fact is it is the menopause that brings the depression.
Estrogen loss changes neurortransmitters...there is a link.

That is why so many after having a hysterectomy experience this.
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM

It makes sense that menopause triggers the depression. My lab results of 6 or 7 years ago showed I was in menopause. Back then, I had no symptoms at all. I tried to get several doctors to recheck my hormones this year, but no one thought it was necessary. I was left with no choice but to find someone to change my antidepressant, since estrogen is not safe for me to take -- stroke and heart attack risks. I have been taking black cohosh for months, but it hasn't made any difference.

It's just a shame that hormones are so dangerous for many of us to take. No wonder people turn to expensive things like Sotto Pelle and bioidenticals. Fortunately, the Wellbutrin has helped my depression. It is much more expensive than generic, but it's the only safe antidepressant that works for me. Some of the other symptoms I had will probably hang around. Maybe I can try increasing the black cohosh. That's the only safe thing I can take for menopause.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register