Pain Medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Medication Pain Medication

Unread 10-01-2001, 09:40 AM
Pain Medication

Seems like I'm coming up with a new question daily/hourly! Just wondering about type of pain medication given after surgery. I have a very low tollerance to pain. Need sedetation for the dentist! I don't think I'm allergic to anything but the times I've taken tylonol w/codine it's made me itch. I guess my question is what have you ladies been prescribed of your pain? Should I make the doctor aware of itching w/codine? OR is that normal?
This site has been so helpful. I just love it and appreciate all of you wonderful ladies with your support and advice. Thanks again.

Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2001, 09:48 AM
Pain Medication

Hi Jan

I would mention to your Dr. about the itching with codeine. I think that's a pretty common reaction, but he should know about it.

In the hospital, I had the morphine pump......made me real nauseated. So, I quit "pressing the button" the next morning after surgery, and switched to oral pain meds.

They give me Vicoprofen (has ibuprofen in it vs. tylenol). I could have that every 4 hours in the hospital. If I needed it, the nurse would give me a 2 tylenols in between the 4 hours to "boost it up" she said. These things worked fine. Prescription for Vicoprofen was written for at home pain meds.

Best of luck to you !!
Unread 10-02-2001, 04:47 AM
Pain Medication

The itching to the codeine is an allergic reaaction!!! I have the same thing and all of my doctors have said the same thing...There are lots of pain meds that have a codiene diriveitive in them and yes TELL YOUR DOC....

In the castle they put me on the morphine pump to and I didn't like the headache and nausea that went with it...the next day I had them take me off of it put me on pills..( they offered me shots but didn't want the sore bum on top of everything else)...They sent me home with Demerol for the first two weeks and then put me on darvocet the next as my pain lessened...now at almost 5 weeks I just take advil and that seems to do the trick...most of the time..

please make sure you talk to your doc about pain control beforehand.... I was sure glad I did...

Dawn
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2001, 01:07 PM
Pain Medication

Deffionately tell the doctor about the itching. That is NOT normal.

You may read alot about people feeling sick from the pain meds. If you do tell the nurse they can give you something to fix that.
Unread 10-02-2001, 02:05 PM
Please tell your doctor

The other ladies are right! That is an allergic reaction. I speak from experience. 5 years ago, I had abdominal surgery to remove an endometrium that was attached to my right tube. They gave me something like hydrocodone for when I got home. After 1 pill, I felt my skin crawling and itching and then Trust me, the LAST thing you want to do is throwing up with stitches in your stomach!!!! When I called the doctor, they said "Oh you must be allergic to anything with codeine"
So please tell your doctor ahead of time as well as when you have your preop. I also have opposite reactions to anything that makes you drowsy. I take a sleeping pill and am wide awake! I take dayquil when I have a cold to go to sleep! I have to remember to tell them that too when I have my preop. I have started a list (well, okay, a BOOK!) of things that I need to ask or tell the doctors and nurses.
Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register