Test Hormone Levels Before and After Surgery? or any HRT regimen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Test Hormone Levels Before and After Surgery? or any HRT regimen? Test Hormone Levels Before and After Surgery? or any HRT regimen?

Unread 02-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Test Hormone Levels Before and After Surgery? or any HRT regimen?

I have been wondering why this is not a blaring recommendation we should be advising our Sisters to ask of their DR's?

Why not? Test Before and After?

Our bodies would have more continuity in recovery, if after 4-6 weeks Post-op a hormone level test was ordered to compare to our Pre-op levels. It would aid the DR in adjustment of our HRT. Then we could get back to Pre-op levels and feel like our 'old self' again?

Even in post menopause, a Before test is made to determine your levels, then used by your DR to determine how much HRT you may need. So why not test levels After, too?

Would this save us all the Misery we go through Adjusting and Adjusting our RX's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Re: Test Hormone Levels Before and After Surgery? or any HRT regimen?

In theory it may sound like a good idea. But it probably would not be helpful. For one, many of our problems can be caused by a hormone imbalance so we certainly would not want to duplicate that. Second, what our levels were before surgery may not serve us the same after. That is; our needs may be totally different.

Another thing to consider is that test ranges are very broad and we all won't feel the same at a certain level. It is better to do tweaking based on symptoms. Than after some time has passed if you still aren't doing well, have the doctor do some bloodwork testing. Those results can be used as a tool to go hand in hand with your symptoms in determining what may be going on.

Here's an older thread that states why it is not a good idea better than I did

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...88#post1158788
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:58 AM

Thank you Kim M, I will read.

Part of why I asked this question - Two years ago I was not feeling right at all, especially no sex drive. My BF recommended I ask my DR to test my hormone levels. Sure enough my testosterone level was below recommended levels, as were two others. I went on HRT and voila!

Then, many months later, my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, so I went off. Only to go back to not feeling right. Low or No estrogen... then more prolapses occurred while lifting. Cystocele I already had from 21 years ago, my daughters birth.

Six months ago, when I started HRT, despite my family history I was in pain and made the hard decision, and I asked for testosterone too. And voila again! With all the HRT I felt great.

You see my DR would not do the surgery unless I was taking estrogen. He said it was the only way to improve my vaginal muscle tone, along with all the excercises, pre-surgery. My understanding was both in combo would assure success in healing, before and after. Note: I now had Total pelvic organ prolapse, so the TVH, BSO and other procedures were done at the same time.

So I am 8 weeks post surgery and all out of whack, I thought if only I had had a Before Test.... and with ovaries gone has my estrogen dropped too low? I am still on HRT.

Again I will read, it will be a great help to prepare for my appointment tomorrow, my 8 week check-up. (Actually 9 week, delayed due to snow storm last week!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2010, 06:49 AM

I wish that I had had my levels tested before surgery, just for comparison because I always felt well and my problems came on so quickly- in four months time I ended up with a hysterectomy and have spent the past seven months trying to get balanced. I understand that my needs may be different now and I am finally working with a Gyn who looks at these issues holistically and checks both saliva and blood levels of many things.... hopefully the correct HRT will help but it has been a long and very frustrating road. Not knowing what my levels were before leaves questions in my mind about where I should be now! It is a work in progress. I am not sure most DR's would check all levels before surgery anyway....
TAH/kept ovaries 6/30/09 adenomyosis, fibroids, endo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register