Bladder issues 22 days post-op; can't void full bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder issues 22 days post-op; can't void full bladder Bladder issues 22 days post-op; can't void full bladder

Unread 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Bladder issues 22 days post-op; can't void full bladder

Hi girls,

Well, I have posted a little bit about having a problem crop up after a seemingly complications-free recovery from TAH.

I went to see my Dr. today and after only being able to pee a tablespoon or so, she inserted a catheter and my bladder was 2/3 full (which felt to good after she emptied it!).

I have felt pressure and pain there for about 4 days. Getting up each hour in the night to pee a little.

She said we were going to try meds before a self-cath (major ugh on that one... not sure if I could do it...)
She prescribed bethanechol which is suppose to cause the bladder muscles to contract and void better. The best to think is that my bladder is just taking it's good ol' time recovering... the worst is that there is some type of strutural damage.

I am schedule for an ultrasound next wednesday.

Anyone else experience this? I am really worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Re: Bladder issues 22 days post-op; can't void full bladder

I had this when I had my surgery my bladder just wouldn't work for nothing they gave me the bethanechol through my IV so in about a couple of hours I was able to pee. my gyn said I had bladder trauma but it worked. I did have problems a few days later. took more meds and I'm fine now.
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:22 PM

I am currently having some problems with my bladder. I had been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis prior to surgery and now have had a UTI that would not respond to meds. I am scheduled for a CT scan on Friday morning due to horrible pain. My doc said that sometimes the surgery can cause these problems for a little while and then it will get better. Try not to think of the worst, hopefully the medicine will work and you will be much better. I think our bodies don't appreciate the surgery at first and rebel. Sending lots of hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2010, 06:18 AM

Thanks everyone! I love this site as it helps to know I am not alone! Female issues can be so complex.

I took the bladder meds last night but didn't really see a difference. I am hoping today gets a little better. Does cause my stomach to cramp a bit. Anxious for the ultrasound next week. Just hoping/praying there is no bladder damage for the TAH. I am suppose to start a new job in March and I really need to be on-board for that. They are holding it for me while I recover, doubt they will hold it another 6 weeks. Thanks again everyone! Will update when I know more. HUGS
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:34 AM

I have been having trouble with my bladder since I got done the surgery, I was told to give it time. But mine isnt as bad as yours, I can void about one third of my bladder at a time. I am drinking lots of cranberry juice. and one nurse told me to hold a folded up towel against my stomach while trying and that has helped some. other than that I have to lean really far forward and bear down like I am in labor.
It has improved a tiny bit in the last two days, now sometimes some trickles out as soon as i sit. Its like I have no urge to pee anymore, I just go in every once in a while or when I start to feel especially crampy.
I am curious what your potasium thing is, I have had some trouble with that in the past, never enough to involve doctors but I keep over the counter potasium on hand because once in a while I get these strobe lights before my eyes and over the years I have learned first that they responded well to orange juice or bananas, then that just potasium worked.
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM

I had a very difficult time going when my catheder was removed. It sounds silly, but for the first few days, I had to put my feet in very warm water to get me to pee. That seemed to be the only thing that really worked. I'm about 13 days post op and doing much better now. I don't need to foot bucket anymore

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register