Sudden, bright red bleeding 6 1/2 weeks after hysterectomy... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sudden, bright red bleeding 6 1/2 weeks after hysterectomy... Sudden, bright red bleeding 6 1/2 weeks after hysterectomy...

Unread 02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Sudden, bright red bleeding 6 1/2 weeks after hysterectomy...

So here's the deal...I'm scared to death right now. My surgery went well for the most part, had only a few complications and such. My pain hasn't been controlled much, but I do have fibromyalgia, and the surgery triggered a major fibro-flare that has contributed to my being in so much pain. I haven't had any type of bleeding (after the surgery) before today, not even spotting. My husband and I resumed our sexual activity a week ago without any problems. Suddenly today, after little to no major activity (I did go to get my hair cut.) I started bleeding. It's not horribly heavy, but it's steady and it's bright red. My cramping has increased tenfold what it has been over the last few weeks. I tried to call my doctor, but she is not in the office today, and will not be in again until Monday next week. The medical assistant told me that I may have to go back to the hospital, but I would like to avoid that if possible.
Has anyone else had problems like this? I hate to be a pest, but I don't know what to expect at this point. It seems a bit late to be having symptoms like this. UGH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Re: Sudden, bright red bleeding 6 1/2 weeks after hysterectomy...

I would call and ask who is on-call for your doc. This needs to be checked by a doc or his associate.
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM

((Ammee))

If you are having bright red bleeding that fills a pad an hour, you need to seek medical attention. Calling the doctor's office and asking to speak to the on-call doctor could be a wise move. You could also visit ER or an Urgent Care facility.

Bleeding at this point could be for several reasons. As you have resumed more activities, including intercourse, and your body might be letting you know it just wasn't quite ready yet. Or there could have granulation issues or a blood clot that has now loosened from the activities.

If you kept your cervix and ovaries, you could also be experiencing a mini period.

Do you have any other symptoms such as a fever?

Do you have a GP you could call if you can't get hold of the doctor on call?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM

I basically had the same thing...yeah, it scares the heebee jeebee out of ya...not enough to call the dr for me, but when you bleed and dont know why, its scary...it was almost like a small gush last nite before bedtime, then it just tapered off. but now in some pain. Dr appt in 5 days, will definitely tell him about it!
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM

I'm 6 1/2 weeks too and have had the same thing happen to me today - not a lot of blood, but fresh red blood compared to the darker brown stuff from the past few weeks.

Scares the hell out of you just cos you don't know if it's normal or not or whether it's something you need to act on. I'm thinking mine might be my body telling me I've overdone it after I stupidly cleaned out the fireplace earlier. Felt fine when I was doing it, but now this and a bit of aching. A reminder that even after 6 weeks, there's a lot of healing still happening.

I hope your bleeding is nothing to worry about Ammee - get it checked out if it's heavy and causing you other symptoms. x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register