Cyberchondria...By George I've think I've got it. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cyberchondria...By George I've think I've got it. Cyberchondria...By George I've think I've got it.

Unread 10-02-2001, 09:31 AM
Cyberchondria...By George I've think I've got it.

Help!!! Every day that goes by I am getting more and more freaked out. Supposedly I still have CIN III after a LEEP and am waiting the standard 3 months for the follow-up pap and biopsy of the cervical canal. Instead of thinking positively, I totally FREAK out at every tiny little twinge in my body. I don't know if I'm imagining things, if they've always been there and I just never noticed before, or if they are new and I have every right to be concerned.

I read an article about a new psychiatric condition they're calling "Cyberchondria." This is when people like me try to research their medical conditions on the web and find "worst case scenarios" and end up freaking out! Instead of just getting educated, they think the worst. I guess I've always been the kind of person who sees the glass as half empty instead of half full. I envy those of you who always seem so positive on this board when it's all I can do to stop crying and catch my breath in the midst of one anxiety attack after another.

The doc has prescribed me valium, which helps, but I'm also supposed to start taking Wellbutrin for depression and to quit smoking, and you can't take both at once. I have postponed taking the wellbutrin because I'm not sure I will make it without the valium. I don't take them every day, but it is comforting to know that I have them and can take one if I want. Maybe I just need to see a shrink and get on something really heavy duty until my next appointment! Or if anyone knows of an anti-anxiety med like valium that can be taken with Wellbutrin, I'd like to hear about it.

Hope I haven't annoyed anyone who has bigger problems than mine and thinks that I'm a total wimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2001, 01:32 PM

I think that we all have this condition to a certain degree! When I was first told Cervical Cancer, I did research and had myself so upset that my dh told me that I needed to find a support group...and I've been here ever since!! I hope that you find the support as encouraging here as I did!! Try to relax and just take one day at a time! Deep breathing really works wonders too! Try to do some relaxing things when you feel nervous..soothing music, bubble baths (with dr's ok), long walks. Most of all, know that you are not alone here!!
Unread 10-02-2001, 01:46 PM

I did the same thing when I first found out I had CIN3. I was so scared I just had to stop researching and trust my Dr. You cant believe everything you read on the web. I am sure some of it is set up by sickos who want to scare people. Like Cyd's dh mine also suggested looking for a support group and I found hystersisters. When I joined I was a mess but the girls helped me so much with all their support.

Every time I had an ache or pain or a different vaginal discharge, I would think the cancer was raging through my body and I would cry and cry and cry I was so scared ,so what you are feeling is quite normal. As for the positive thinking.. well I tried to stay positive all the time but every now and then I would lose it. Then after a cry , I would pick myself up and try to put those negative thoughts out of my mind. Just remember that CIN3 is easily treated it is still in the precancerous stage.

When I first found out about my cancer I was given valium and then my GP switched me to a tablet called XANAX - (alprazolam ) not sure if you can get it over there. Apparently it is not as addictive as the valium and easier on the body.

Don't ever think that you will annoy anyone here by having a cry and complaining. This is YOUR pain and it hurts. And.... we are here for you always.... every step of the way... it is a real scary road to walk alone, we will be holding your hand. Love alway to you and don't ever hesitate emailing me if you need to xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2001, 01:58 PM

PS to you x x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register