What and how did you eat during chemo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What and how did you eat during chemo? What and how did you eat during chemo?

Unread 02-16-2010, 12:17 AM
What and how did you eat during chemo?

I have not started chemo yet. My oncologist told me it can affect my taste buds. She also told me that while on treatment, I should be careful to eat a little every few hours or so. She even said if I get up in the middle of the night, I should eat a little something. I am wondering what habits and what foods have worked for those who have gone through chemo.

I am the type of person who can easily wake up in the morning and head off to work without consuming a single thing until lunch time. Since it is so foreign to me to eat small amounts regularly, I have started practicing now. I have bought some different dried cereals, trail mixes, crackers, etc. and put them in zip-lock baggies. I have some baggies in my bedroom and others in the kitchen. So now there is always a snack close at hand, and I can easily put a couple in my pocketbook on my way out the door. But I do not know if these will become unappealing to me once I start treatments, or what other foods some of you might suggest.

[As it happens, my mother should be a great resource for this question. She is almost 80 now and has been battling breast cancer for almost 30 years. She has literally undergone many years of various chemo treatments over the decades, after an initial extremely poor prognosis. But she just tells me not to worry and that she never really had many side effects from chemo - that is just her personality. She does tend to regularly eat little snacks, but she never consciously got into that habit as a way to cope with the impact of chemo. She was surprised when I told her my oncologist suggested that while I am on chemo.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Re: What and how did you eat during chemo?

During chemo it can be a little hard to eat larger meals, which is why they suggest eating small amounts throughout the day. I know most of my foods had an odd metallic taste. That did change the foods I craved. The most important thing is to eat what you want, when you want. Any weight changes can be dealt with afterwards.
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The most important thing is to eat what you want, when you want.
Vega, why do you say that? Do we start craving odd foods... which probably have nutrients our bodies need? Or do you mean that we can stomach so little, we should not worry about what it is as long as we are eating something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Hi Suddenly....welcome to Hysters!! Sorry we have to meet like this but glad to meet you none the less.

I developed an odd metallic taste in my mouth too. The best way I could descrbe it was like licking a battery??? i know....UGH!
An adorable member on here that has since passed named GaGa told me to try lemon wedges..IT WORKS!! It doesn't cure the odd taste but done right before eating I was able to taste better. I couldn't handle anything tomato based....Oh my it was horrible!! I LOVE pizza too so it was really hard not to be able to eat it.
I lived on honey buns and glazed donuts for a good month! You will find that 1 thing that taste ok to you and will eat that more than anything. Some are resillient to the altered taste and eat whatever they want....I just couldn't handle it. Oh and oddly enough COFFEE taste better than anything to me! Between 10 pots of coffee and steroids my head very seldom hit the pillow!! HaHa! I fixed my coffee up ulltra rich so I could get some calories from it. So there ya have it....coffee and donuts!!! Nope~~~ I am not a cop!!! LOL! I did however see many of them when I stopped at the local donut shop for my glazed donut fix.....

Chemo is really and individual thing. We all react differently. I never got sick or tired and some do. Some never have the altered taste...some gain weight~~some lose it....it's not an exact science. Listen to your body and adjust accordingly. get you some protein shakes!! I couldn't stand the medicinal flavor of the ones from the cancer center so I purchased my own at the grocery store. My husband takes them on his fishing tournaments. Can't recall the name of them..... Oh and cream of wheat was something else I could handle but ask your dr first because of the fiber content...I didn't have diareah issues so it was fine for me to eat!! I loaded it up with sugar ~real butter and heavy cream! Now THAT'S some calories!!! I also drank alot of shakes!! My hubby would make them in the evening for us! Lots and lots of calories!!!
Eat WHAT you can WHEN you can.....keep your weight up!
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:09 AM

This time around with chemo for me I find I eat what I crave. And just go with the flow of what my body wants. I do find this time that I have to eat something in the morning, if I don't I begin to feel nauseas. That is new for me cause I have never been somebody who eats in the morning. I have craved Total cereal for some reason, which is good cause it is fortified with alot of vitmains and minerals we all need, just good I am craving at least one good thing. Right now I want a foot long coney dog with the chili sauce, onions, cheese, mustard and ketchup! LOL YUM BREAKFAST I feel like I am experiencing pregnancy cravings. LOL
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Suddenly
The odd thing about the nausea of chemo, is that often it is somewhat relieved with SOME food.
By the time I as done chemo, I had put on about 8 lbs, but as VEGA says, do not worry about weight during chemo, SPOIL YOURSELF.
I found if I made a casserole, a nice comforting casserole, and ate bits of it all day I would feel good, rather than eating snacks.
So I made things like scalloped potatoes with salmon in it (for the protein) and just heat bits of it up all day.
Like LALALWAYS, it did often feel like pregnancy cravings, I bought a cook book and became obsessed with the cover photo, SHRIMP...
I had to have shrimp...
Be a bit careful about unusual tasting things, ...there are some foods I still cannot eat, because I associate them with chemo. A friend suggested if there was a food I had a weakness for, eat it during chemo, you might never want it again. I had ravioli with tomato sauce the night of first chemo, I still cannot stand tomato sauce on anything,.....nor will I go to that restaurant EVER

janet
Unread 02-17-2010, 02:11 PM

I mentioned eating what you want when you want because, as women, we have a tendency to watch everything we eat. Limiting foods that could be very helpful. I find I still crave certain foods I ate during treatments, but I could go the rest of my life without a drop of Berry flavored Gatorade. (that was the only fluid I could tolerate, and Berry tasted the best at the time) I did eat a lot of chicken & eggs for protein though.
Unread 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Chemotherapy attacks the fast growing cells of the body. Your mucous membranes are fast growing cells so the lining of your mouth and your stomach lining are affected. This is why chemo causes nausea and changes the taste of foods. The chemo concoction used affects each person differently, so while one person is relatively OK, the other person can't stop puking.

I could not eat garlic in any form while on chemo, nor could I smell it - it instantly triggered nausea. And roasted chicken was off limits. For me the smell of something affected me more than the taste for the most part.

Definitely keep edibles on hand. If you feel naseous take a pill and munch on some food. You will feel much better.

And as Vega said, don't stress over your weight. Eat what you want, be satisfied and content. Its worth it during cancer treatment.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Don't forget to keep your bowels moving well, if I was the slightest bit "backed up", my appetite disappeared and I would feel some fatigue. Personally I never really experienced any difference in my food likes/dislikes or appetite. I was one of the lucky ones with no nausea. Everyone is different though!
Good luck to you!
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:15 AM

Oh I also drank ALOT of red powerades!! I, as vega said about her berry flavored gatorades...., can barely stand the sight of them much less the thought of drinking one now!

Hey Vega....don't forget your Teddy Grahams!!

(For some reason I have always remembered you talking about nibbling on those when you were going through treatments...Cinnamin? Correct? Ha!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register