lost and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lost and confused lost and confused

Unread 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
lost and confused

Hi I just joined the site. My doctor just informed me that I should get a hysterectomy. I am just scared at what my life would be like afterwards. I am 27 and have a choice on whether to keep or have my ovaries removed. Just found out that my aunt had a hysterectomy and she had precancerous cells on her ovaries. I think I might get them removed so I don't have to worry about it later. Unfortunately my doctor has no idea why I am in pain. I do get ovarian cyst ,but I am in constant pain. I have been through many test and procedures and they have no idea. Just glad to know that I am not the only one out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Re: lost and confused

Have you had laproscopy first? That could tell if you have endometriosis and if your uterus is enlarged. Also I had a colonoscopy to rule out bowel trouble. Make sure all options have been done before jumping into a hysterectomy. I too have severe pain and my doctor and I ruled out everything else before deciding that the hysterectomy was best. Just want to make sure you don't jump into something that is irreversible if there are still other option left to explore. Especially since you are so young
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM

yea I have had both of those procedres done and they found nothing. The doctor said maybe adomiosis but she is not sure and I have been having severe pains for years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Hi CE123 ,

I'm sorry you are dealing with all this at such a young age. Its important to get some other opinions. Every doc brings different education and experience to your problems. You never know and you don't want to look back with hind site and wish you had known about another procedure. Please consider a second or third opinion. Like tnichols17 says, once you have a hyster there is no going back. You can't get your ovaries back.

Ovarian cancer is scary but surgical menopause at 27 is too. Make sure you know what to expect. Docs don't have time to explain all the potential problems. It will help you deal with it better if you go into it educated. Some women sail through with few problems but others suffer for years. There's loads of information on this site. Pain is difficult and potential relief is attractive but you could be trading one problem for others. Make sure you make an educated decision. I'm using hormones that, with insurance co-pays, cost me about $100 a month. There are cheaper hormones but I feel good so I pay extra for them.

Don't rush into a hyster just because one doc recommends it. Another doc may have a different treatment that is better for you. Its worth the time and trouble.

Its comforting to look back and know I made good decisions for me. Please make sure you don't move too quickly and have regrets. I hope you can find relief soon, keep us posted.

Pat
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Hi CE

Have you had a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion? You are so young to be having a hyst, and especially to be considering removal of your ovaries.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:42 AM

I have been thinking about it for a long time. My doctor she has tried everything and I am very tired of not having a life. I am on narcotics for the pain, I just can't function without them. My husband I have been dicussing this for some time even before my doctor recomened it. I do have three great kids and don't plan on having anymore. I have been doing my homework and I think it is the right choice. I am missing out on a lot of my kids activities because I am so tired and in pain. Thanks for the advice and support I know that everyone needs it during difficult decissons.
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Hi CE123.

As one who has cyclical ovarian cysts (which are quite common by the way), I understand your perspective on ridding yourself of cyst-associated pain; however, you are quite young and really should get a second opinion. Have you discussed the possibilty of ovarian cyst removal or drainage? Did your doc say what the cyst appears to be filled with? I've had friends who've had cysts drained. Also, suppose a second opinion results in the possibilty that something other than your ovaries is causing the pain? If you have your ovaries removed the pain will still be there and you may compound your pain with additional health issues brought on by ovary removal. Add to that the fact that you will still be missing out on your children's activities...

To get an overview of what your life may be like after having your ovaries removed, you may want to read the forum on this site where women have had theirs removed (https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=218). It's a very informative forum and you can also ask questions there.

Having said that, may gyno of 20+ years recommended that I have a hyster. I got a second opinion although she'd been my doctor for decades. Turns out I didn't need the hyster after all. It was diet. Every time I consumed soy my periods were uncontrollable and unpredictable. Also, it turned out that the fibroid I have is not my anemia problem as she suggested...it was the soy. While some people sang the praises about soy, I cannot consume it at all...go figure...

All we are trying to convey is that you make certain that you are fully informed because when we humans are in pain and/or fear, sometimes our judgement is clouded by the circumstances. You want to be able to live with the consequences afterwards. What I am saying to you I would say to my own children--get a second opinion.

Doctors have different specialties and one doctor, say an oncologist, may see symptoms that suggest several different conditions while another may, say a gyno, only sees female reproductive conditions that seem to stem from the same symptoms that the oncologist sees. The point is don't make such an irreversible decision based solely on a single perspecitve reading of your symptoms. If possible, get different perspecitves of your symptoms before having your ovaries removed.

I agree with the earlier post... sometimes our seemingly female symptoms are really digestive symptoms like the gall bladder not working, undiagnosed aversion to foods, or even something like kidney or gall stones. You'd be surprised. I know I was.

Just some things to consider. Whatever happens keep us posted on how you are doing.

Well wishes and let us know if we can help further.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register