lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM
lupron

I start lupron next week, I had TAH 5 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone took off work while on lupron due to side effects? I am a welder and I have a very physically demanding job and I wondered if I was going to be able to keep up at work. I've been reading about all the side effects and was just wondering if it is as bad as everyone says it is. Sometimes the internet is NOT a good thing lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Re: lupron

Hmmm, welding & hot flashes, sounds like they'd be difficult but not impossible!

I took Lupron when I was young & felt like it slammed me into menopause but other than sweating through my clothes & losing some sleep, I was able to do a full time job working in an ER just fine. Only 5 weeks out from your surgery it sounds like fatigue & belly pain would be a bigger problem working a physically demanding job than the Lupron side effects, is there any way you can start back part time & see how you feel?

I've gotten used to carrying around little fans & icy washcloths just from hormonal shifts after surgery, not full menopause, and once I figured out how to be comfortable I felt like I could handle anything. I also got hormonal migraines all my life so messing with my cycles made them unpredictable. I kept a headache diary & figured out how to stop them before they got bad with a combination of caffeine, ice packs to my head & prescription medications. It may take you a couple of weeks to adjust since your body is still healing, hopefully you'll find what works for you & be on your way to relief soon!
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:09 AM

sidsmart,

I agree that the internet can be a bad thing! It sounds like you and I are alike and read, read, read until we freak ourselves out.

That being said, I hated lupron. But, I was able to work my full time job the entire time. At least for me, the worst part was having to go to work the same night I got the injection. I found that the injection site was always sore and made it hard to sit in my chair. One thing that helped was asking the nurses to inject slowly. I also massaged the area before and after to help break it up a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:05 PM

I'm just finishing 6 months of lupron and started my first injection 7 weeks post op. It has been hell on earth - but i survived. I had drenching hot flashes ever 20-30 minutes all night long every night, joint pain, appetite tanked and i dropped 5kg (5'7" and dropped to 116lbs) - but the worst was being really forgetful and spacy (NOT me!). I'm an advanced practice nurse and informaticist so i have to be sharp, think on my feet and multitask. This has been complicated by profound and persistent nausea (probably from adhesions). I also found myself very apathetic which is also not me - so bad that it took me months to pick up the phone and call my doc for help with the side effects.

I continued to run and have completed a half marathon since surgery and will be running a full marathon next month - i managed to not miss any work and continue my daily life but truthfully in spite of the lupron. Staying active is a good thing on Lupron - make sure that your mental faculties stay sharp though in that kind of job.

I finally did call my doc with 1 month left and she put me on a teensy bit of add back estrogen - i can tell you that within 3 hours i didn't feel great, but i actually emerged from the dark dark hole i'd been in for 5 months... i felt human, could think...

So the long and the short is... talk with your doctor up front about ways (s)he will be able to help you with side effects. Pretty much everyone gets the hot flashes but not everyone gets the apathy, spaciness, bone/joint pain (which got much better with add back therapy). If you get really bad mood side effects, you may not have the motivation to follow through with your doc... so I would also recommend a follow up appt with the doc at 2 months (i saw the nurse ever month but she didn't pass on my misery to the doc - my doc was horrified and said she would have brought me in immediately to discuss add back therapy).

If i'd had add back earlier, i think it would have bee WAY WAY WAY more tolerable - i was scared of the estrogen because i'd not tolerated it in the past (as birth control) and scared it would bring back the pain but it was totally fine!

Good luck - most docs suggest 6-8 weeks off for TAH - you may want to consider taking the full 8 weeks... not trying to scare you, just hoping you are more proactive than i was about getting help for the side effects if they are bad!

oh by the way i had a horrible headache after the first shot - really bad. i did some reading and sure enough its common and it disappeared after about 20 days just like i'd read. I would get a milder headache (tolerable) after each shot but the severity and length shortened with each shot.
Unread 02-19-2010, 07:32 AM

I was on Lupron for six months prior to my hyst. When I read some of the online posts about it I nearly backed out. I can honestly tell you that for me, the worst part was a being stuck in the behind every month. Other than some mild hot flashes, I had no side effects at all. Really.

The online sites are populated primarily by those who have had negative experiences with it, but there are those of us who did just fine.

Good luck.
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:54 PM

I too am on Lupron for 3 months in preparation for my upcoming surgery. Have had 2 shots already. First month, I experienced bad headache, nausea, vomitting (all in one day mind you), hot flashes, emotional crying and my boobs have considerably shrunk which I am not happy about. Also had a visit from "Aunt Flo" but that was to be expected as it takes a few weeks for the Lupron to kick in...Second month, other than hot flashes and smaller boobs, all is okay...No visit from "Aunt Flo" this month.

I know there are many many negative things said about Lupron on the internet that scared me as well but everyone handles it differently.

Best wishes and hope you are doing alright.
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:41 PM

I was *much* better while on Lupron than I was without. I had a bad headache with the next period, then the periods stopped & hotflashes started, but the pain was so much better. Being without my horrific flooding and excruciating cramps made work *easier!* The hotflashes weren't fun, but seriously... my periods were so disabling that the side effects from the lupron were very well worth it for me. Everyone is different in their experiences. I hope yours is a positive one.

Unread 02-22-2010, 07:34 AM

I, too, was on Lupron for 3 months prior to my surgery. It is a very powerful drug. Like a few others have posted, everyone's body processes it differently. As for me, my only side effects were the hot flashes at night and for some reason, my legs would fall asleep, unannounced, so I didn't drive because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to feel my legs!

Lupron was instrumental in my surgery, though. I needed to build up my hemogolbin level before my surgery. Stopping my monthly cycles for 3 months allowed me to do that. So I am very grateful for the drug!

All the best so you.
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:13 PM

I had horrible headaches every day the first month and part of the second. Hot flashes the first 3 months, I am about to take my 6th and final injection this month. I still get a few flashes but they are pretty mild now. The nausea was really bad the 2nd month. i got these weird leg cramps that felt like I'd run a marathon when I'd done nothing- nothing because I just can't muster the energy. Some GI cramps. Very very forgetful. I haven't really noticed any significant mood changes except some apathy and fatigue but then I was really tired of being in pain. I'm still in pain but it's much better than when we started the Lupron.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register