Discouraged. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Discouraged.

I've been discussing my constipation issues here since I joined, and got some great suggestions from you ladies. I began the Miralax last Sunday, and had success late Monday, so I took it again Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, just to keep things going. It was so nice being able to go.

One of the side effects of Celexa (which I was put on Tuesday) is possible diarrhea, and I experienced that on Thursday so I didn't take any Miralax that day. I really thought I had gained some ground on this issue. Since I really feel a bit problem for me is the overall weakness in my muscles, things being "loose" made it easier to go. I did continue my stool softeners throughout the entire time.

I could not go at all yesterday, and the gassy, bloated feeling is back. I resumed the Miralax last night but so far, nothing.

I'm starting to wonder how long I'm going to have to medicate myself in order to feel normal. It's just.....discouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Re: Discouraged.

Are you eating properly? Plenty of vegetables and fruits.
Have you always had issues with constipation?
Are you walking and drinking enough fluids?
Have you tried Activa? Are you still taking Colace?
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:16 AM

I wonder if your lack of going now is from the extra going you did? You know how after a bout of diarrhea, sometimes it will be days before you go again, and have a regular bm? Maybe that's what you're experiencing? Here's hoping for a nice normal bm for you. And I would encourage you also, as Tara said, to beef up on oatmeal, fiber bars, drinking what feels like a TON of water to help your body naturally. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2010, 10:17 AM

Yes to all of that except the Activia. It makes me nauseous. Before surgery, I was eating one yogurt a day for breakfast, just Yoplait, with granola mixed in. Since the surgery, the mere thought of yogurt (and lots of foods, I have noticed) makes me queasy. I know my appetite is changed, aside from my stomach shrinking because I was on a liquid diet for almost three days after the surgery due to vomiting.

I force myself to eat a small bowl of cereal each morning, and I drink plenty of water, as well as juice. I get some walking in every day, usually just a short trek through WalMart or the grocery store. I am not taking any narcotic pain meds now, just my 800mg Motrin twice a day - once in the morning to get moving around, and once at night, when I am again achey.

I used to be very regular....LOL....you could set your watch by my schedule. It's frustrating.
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM

I have been so worried about about being constipated. Since i got home from the hospital I have been taking 3 Colace a day - spaced out and also one dose of Miralax. I have used a suppository 3 times when I felt like i needed to go and just quite couldnt. I am eating yogurt mixed with granola each morning and also an apple and banana each day. Eating is really hard for me too - i have to choke down food so I can take my pills!
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Just a thought to all of you with constipation issues. I have suffered with IBS const. and dia. for years. Several years ago I started taking 300 mg of Magnesium capsule every night around dinnertime. Magnesium relaxes the colon. At any rate it helps me. I have a bowel movement every morning. Now that I am taking 2 things that are constipating (enablex and nortriptoline) I take 600 mg. and have had no problems. I can't get constipated because I now have a TVT sling. I also do raisin bran in the am.
Unread 02-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Try a handful of raisins at bedtime or a couple of prunes and a good yogurt like Activia to put the natural flora back into your digestive tract. Antibiotics used during the surgery can take their toll - but the above worked for me post op. and is a part of my daily eating habit. Hope this helps ..... xox
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Well, the Miralax worked again. I drank some more tonight for good measure, and am going to try and up my water intake. I don't want to be on a laxative forever....sheesh!

I just really need to get my appetite back...because right now, I can only tolerate certain things without wanting to vomit at the thought of them. Pizza with veggies on it, grilled cheese sandwiches, and cereal.....three things that do not make me nauseous at the mere thought of them. My throat actually starts to close up reflexively when I think of food. I am mostly nauseous in the mornings, and it takes until after noon to get over the feeling.
Unread 02-21-2010, 11:37 AM

irb467 - Hi just a thought about the nausea - are you still taking pain meds. eg. percocet, hydrocodone etc? I had to make sure there was something in my tummy when taking them otherwise felt nauseated and yukky. I hope you feel better soon - things will even out - I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you TAH also and have no issues anymore with my body, some tiredness if I do too much. I'm at the 'boredom' stage but have to keep checking in with my body to see what does or does not work. Maybe a basic bland diet would help for this coming week - again yogurt such as Activia and oatmeal - both very easy to digest whilst your tummy finds it's norm again. Drink lots of water too because that will help flush any residual toxins from the surgery out of your system. Hope this helps - love and hugs - Wendy xoxoxoxo
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Lori, I don't know this for a fact, but I read somewhere in these forums that Motrin can be constipating. Also, I didn't have any nausea after surgery except when they gave me tylenol on an empty stomach. If you're taking Motrin on an empty stomach, perhaps that could be contributing to your nausea. Maybe you should see what your pain is like without the Motrin. I was taking it at night for a while, but I hate taking medication so I just quit and found that it really hadn't been making much of a difference.

I noticed that 2 of the foods you can tolerate contain cheese which isn't a good choice for someone who is constipated. In addition to drinking lots of water, maybe you could try some juice between meals. I got my 'system' going good with plum juice, eating at least 5 times a day, eating fruits, and upping fiber.

Hope things get going better for you soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register