Pre-op shaving? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op shaving? Pre-op shaving?

Unread 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Pre-op shaving?

Here I am, a 50something woman with an embarrassing question. I'm not a prude, but I have never had a bikini wax or any kind of "grooming" in my bikini area.

Should I do anything before I go for a vaginal hysterectomy? I don't have a real sister....this is great...I can ask anonymously!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Re: Pre-op shaving?

I was just told to shave down to just past my pubic bone, and that was all!
Unread 03-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Hi, it is not an embarrassing question. I cleaned up my "area" before surgery, but then freaked out because I didn't want a raw area that could cause issues, so soon to surgery. If you want to wax I would do it at least 2-3 weeks prior to surgery to avoid open follicles and allow healing to occur. I am an esthetician and have done and had my share of waxing. I had a TVH and the area was covered with betadine. Hopefully this helps. What's funny is I am 54 and have only been waxing for a couple of years, my teenage girls finally said, "mom, it's time to get rid of the forest."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM

I keep my area very neatly trimmed on my own but was not told to shave it or do anything.............they shaved it all off after I was out the morning of surgery!!! It has been a WONDERFUL experience growing back in!!! LOL!!! Let the scratching begin!!!
Unread 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM

I had a brazilian done before I had my hysterectomy. Have it done early if you decide to wax (like the other lady said). When they shave you, it's with a disposable razor and it itches like heck.
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:08 PM

You really should not do anything yourself prior to your surgery unless your doctor instructs you to. It has been reported by some members who shaved themselves beforehand, only to have their surgery cancelled for the risk of infection. I had a TVH and was not shaved at all. Be sure to ask your doctor. Don't worry about asking, it's just a part of surgical procedure and you don't have to be embarrassed.

Deb
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:46 AM

Ditto to Crossfire. You shouldn't do any pre op to yourself unless you are instructed to do so.
Unread 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks, everyone....
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:25 PM

I was told NOT TO DO ANY SHAVING - they would take care of it in preop and they did. I thought I would be embarassed but it was no big deal.. They do it every day. If the dr. did not tell you to shave - I would not do it.
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Not an embarrising question at all. I keep my self trim there but not by waxing or shaving but with a bikini trimmer (kind of like a beard trimmer but for women). I trimmed everything up about a week prior to surgery, when I went to my post op they made a HUGE deal about NOT shaving or waxing before surgery because of the bumps you get, or a razor could carry bacteria and you could get a minor cut you are not even aware of that could lead to serious infection post surgical. They told me they have to cancel several surgery's because women do not head there advise and shave the day or 2 before surgery and have redness/irratiation, etc and the told me to leave it all alone they would take care of it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register