how much walking post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much walking post-op how much walking post-op

Unread 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
how much walking post-op

Hello sisters!
I am 12 days post-op and discouraged by how much I still hurt. Today I am a 7 on the pain scale. I know it's important to walk around, but how much is too much? I have been walking 4 or 5 houses up the street for the last few days, but the belly hurts! I had a VH on 2/23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Re: how much walking post-op

Listen to your body, Gayla. Don't walk so far that it makes you hurt. Is your street a hill? It would probably be better to walk on a level surface, especially at first.
Unread 03-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Hi there. Sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. If it's a 7 on the pain scale, I would call your doctor tomorrow just to make sure everything is OK.

My doc suggested that I walk up to 1 mile a day for the first few weeks. Not all at once but accumulated. He said to walk even when I didn't feel like it but I wouldn't suggest you walk to the point of excessive pain.

You do have to listen to your body and what it's telling you so please be careful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2010, 08:33 PM

was super cold here and we had a lot of snow the week after my surgery so I just walked around my house for about 10mins at a time about 6-8 times a day or so....hope your pain is better soon :-)
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:25 PM

I had a TAH about 6 wks ago and I did not do much walking the first four weeks due to stair restrictions. I was only able to do one flight of stairs per day. Once the stair restrictions were lifted I walked about a mile twice a day.
Now I am back to full normal activities but I am still taking it easy.

Just listen to your body; it will tell you how much you can do.
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Hi Gayla, take it easy...you are just a week plus from surgery. During my first 2 weeks, I only walk around the house. By end of 2nd week, I went for a walk at nearby shopping mall. Really tired. Then, gradually, I walk more and more...Don't overdo it yeah...Listen to your body.
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM

((Gayla))

Yes, listen to your body. As for me, I just walked around the house the first 2 weeks. By the beginning of the 3rd week, I did go to a small park by my house, but I only walked for 10-15 minutes. And, it was all flat. My doctor said to do 3 10-minute walks versus one big 30 minute walk. I used to get very tired after the 10 minutes! I am almost 9 months post op and can still remember those first few days of walking. It was rough. Take it one day at a time.

All the best to you as you continue to recover,

Jean
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Gayla,
No worries! I am just now 4 weeks and didn't walk outside my house for 3 weeks because it was so cold! I feel a little behind with my short walks up the street, and it hurts a little after I walk, but that's the healing process. AT 1 1/2 weeks I got off the couch and made eggs for the family, emptied dishwasher, walked around the house alot...because I felt good, the next 2 days I was increasing pain meds and back on the couch. From that I learned the hard way to just increase a little at a time and 1 1/2 weeks is too early for expectations! I had called the nurse about it and she was the one who told me to get back on the couch. We all feel the need to push, but if we push gently and heal properly, we'll feel so good in a couple of months! I preaching to myself!!! But I've been told this a 1000 times! Take care and try to enjoy this down time - it won't be long!
Julie
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM

I think short walks around the house would be enough. After the dr has cleared you then do a few house blocks and slowly do a lil more each day according to how you feel. Hugs
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm worried/concerned about this too.....my belly doesn't "hurt" just feels like everything is gonna fall out.....so ready to feel like me again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register