Have endo and cysts, need hyst but losing insurance 2 wks after hyst... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Endometriosis Support

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have endo and cysts, need hyst but losing insurance 2 wks after hyst... Have endo and cysts, need hyst but losing insurance 2 wks after hyst...

Unread 03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Have endo and cysts, need hyst but losing insurance 2 wks after hyst...

I have had 2 opnions that said i needed to have the hyst. I know there is no cure and this MAY not work but my husband loses his job and everything else April 30. I told the Dr and they said if i don't do it now we have to wait another year after we get insurance because of preexisiting. So, now I go April 14 for surgery. I wanted to go to the endo center in Atrlanta but now there is no time and I feel even more rushed. I have been dealing with this for over 8 years and was not offically diaganosed until last May 2009. He has offered different things but kept going back to the hyst. Now I am scheduled and freaking out... menopause, loss of libdo, no guarantee it will work??? Is 2 weeks enough recovery time to go without insurance? Please any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Re: Have endo and cysts, need hyst but losing insurance 2 wks after hyst...

I am new here too.

I would be worried about "enough time". Good thing is, if you go without insurance and something does happen, most hospitals have "programs" to help cover some, if not all of the costs of hospital visits.

Then there is the "just pay them $20 a month".

Spend some more time searching through this site. I have been just clicking away at about everything.

I know the "worry about sex" thing is a big factor. HECK that is my BIGGEST WORRIES!!
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM

YES! That is a biggie for me. I keep reading bad things and I know it is not worth "losing" that! But, I am supposed to be positive. Guess that is normal from what I have read here.
But still, Noooo!
It is good to know that they cannot just "turn me away" after the insur. is gone. I am so scared!
Thanks for the thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2010, 12:44 AM

I would be sure that you stay in the hospital AS LONG AS POSSIBLE before they release you while you DO still have insurance.
I was released before I was ready (the nurses wanted me to stay another night, surgeon released me) and I think part of my problems I've had post-op (which I haven't really had many but my BP and whatnot were never stabilized) are attributed to that.
I think the longer you stay in the hospital and under their care, the better your chances are of not getting an infection or anything once you're home.
I could be talking complete smack, but TO ME, that would be the best idea.
Good luck to you!
Oh, and PS, they can't turn you away because of no insurance. Unfortunately some urgent cares do demand prepayment up front (ask me how i know!) but any regular ER or doctor's office doesn't. They also have different rates that they charge for people with insurance versus people without. It's always lower (sometimes even HALF) of what they charge people with insurance and you can always make payments!
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM

((redpower))

I am so sorry you are feeling rushed into this decision and surgery! It is a big enough decision without having to feel like you can't take all the time you need to make the right choice for you!

Have you had a second opinion? It is possible to get a second opinion squeezed in before your surgery.

Is your surgeon skilled regarding endometriosis? The less skilled the doctor, the more likely you could have future endo issues--though maybe those would occur when you had a new insurance plan.

As far as recovering in two weeks, I think that is pushing it. Because of complications, I was not released until day 10 and I had at least one doctor's appointment or test almost every single week for three months! Without insurance, that would have been very expensive. Even if all goes well, it is highly unlikely you will be recovered in two weeks.

Have you considered COBRA? I don't think I would head into a major surgery without trying to have a couple more months of insurance on hand.

Also, I hate to say this, but a hospital can refuse to treat you if you do not have money or insurance. Yes, may be able to head to ER where (depending on your location), no questions will be asked about finances and insurance until after you are examined. If you are in a definite emergency situation, they will stabilize you. However, if you are not deemed a true emergency, they don't have to treat you. And they don't have to schedule a surgery for you unless it is life or death. BTW, a hysterectomy is almost always considered an elective surgery.

Also, not all hospitals will take "$20" payments. They can and will turn you over to collections if you do not pay what they ask for. You would have to carefully check the laws in your area, the types of medical facilities and what laws govern them, and it would depend on the services, why you received, etc.

I know you are in a tight spot and I honestly don't know the best answer for you. Have you discussed the situation over with your doctor? S/he may have some suggestions and may be willing to work with you regarding the insurance issue. Can you get in touch with the client customer service rep in your insurance agent's office? That person might be able to help you extend your plan, supplement your plan, find out what all might be covered under your existing plan if there are complications, etc.

Whatever you decided, I wish you all the best and hope all goes well!

in there!
Unread 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Have you had a diagnostic lap where they biopsied it go be sure it is endo? I would hesitate to get a hyster without knowing for sure that you have endo. Is your doc sure that he/she can remove all the endo with the hyster? Sometimes they cannot. I have endo and am scheduled for a davinci assisted hyster in 6 weeks. My doc said that it will work for me because the endo is only on my reproductive organs. What type of hyster are you having? Keeping ovaries??? I am not sure about recovery but 2 weeks won't cover your post op appts or prescriptions. Are you in alot of pain? If you indeed have endo FOR SURE and you will get relief from hyster.... I would check ahead of time about the payments that your doc and hospital or clinic might take.... Ask them if they do payment plans.
Unread 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM

I am having a Lap. Hyst. (asking more quest. to dr next week). But I am keeping the cervix, no ovaries or uterus. My last lap confirmed the endo and cysts and endo on my bowel, he "burned them away" and I felt GREAT for about a month, then things slowly got back to where I am now. I have had 2nd opnions and they agreed that this was basically my last option. When I went to the Dr to talk about the insurance and waiting till we got it back and they said "preexisting" blahblahblah...
But Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas! It does help...
Now if someone could tell me that intamacy has not changed, that would help too!
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM

Intimacy did not change for me except that I no longer have uterine contractions with orgasms. But that is to be expected!

I had the LAVH, a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy, and kept my ovaries. The cervix is not a separate organ but rather the neck of the uterus. My entire uterus was affected by the endometriosis, so the entire organ was removed. Since I have my ovaries, I don't deal with any of the negative issues from lack of hormones that can affect intimacy.

Of course, we don't all have the same outcomes and there are a good number of women on the site who find that intimacy is negatively impacted from their hysterectomy, with or without hormonal issues.

Because you are having your ovaries removed, you need to carefully discuss with your doctor about whether or not HRT will be allowed (it is not always from women with endo). If you will not be allowed to use HRT, you could have more issues not only with intimacy, but also with moods/sense of well being, heart issues, your bones and joints, sleeping, and much more.

Because you will not have insurance if you will be able to use HRT, talk to your doctor in advance to see if you can try the various low cost hormone options some pharmacies are selling. Keep in mind, it can be wise to also use progesterone along with any estrogen you are given to be try keep any remaining endo at bay and it can also take a lot of trial and error to find the right HRT for you.

S
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM

I have had everything taken out...even cervix, and I think that sex is better than it was before because I'm not in so much pain! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register