Scheduled LSH Anyone on their cycle during LSH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone on their cycle during LSH? Anyone on their cycle during LSH?

Unread 03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Anyone on their cycle during LSH?

I just realized that my cycle will start on either the day before or the day of my surgery. Has anyone experienced having their LSH or any hysterectomy during their menstrual cycle? Is this a good or bad thing? By the way, I have adenomyosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Re: Anyone on their cycle during LSH?

I can't imagine that it is an issue either way - since they are removing it.
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM

A.Marie -

You can talk to your Dr. about it but the standard response I've seen here is that it isn't an issue.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM

I had the Da Vinci 3 1/2 weeks ago and of course I started my period 2 days before my surgery. I swear that made me more nervous how to deal with that going into surgery with a pad then anything else.....when I got to the hospital and they gave me the gown and told me to get undressed I told the nurse I was on my period and she brought me these little boy short looking panties (felt like the old love pats if anyone remembers those) and then she also gave me a pad to put in the panties. I also brought some with me just in case theres were not the sticky sided kind. When the new nurse came to get me for surgery I told her I was on my period and she said honey dont you worry about a thing it is the last one you will ever see, and we see it ALL the time so makes no difference to us. They made me feel so much more comfortable. When I came out of surgery I had the same throw away panties on and a fresh pad.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM

I was 1st scheduled for my LSH on 2/23 and was taking birth control right up to 3 days before that - relieved to NOT have to have another cycle. Unfortunately, Dr called in sick so I was rescheduled for 3/2. And as it would happen, I started my cycle on 2/23. Talk about stress! And it was one of the heavier ones too. Oh joy.

I spoke to Dr about it. They told me it happens all the time and that it won't bother them at all and it won't effect the LSH either. It was just a personal issue for me.

Like an earlier post, I went to surgery wearing both a tampon and a pad. Took the tampon out but was worried about sitting there waiting so left the pad on. Got into the surgery room and shimmied out of the panties/pad and didn't think about it again. My panties were in my bag of belongings when I woke up later.

So, although it's a pain, don't worry about it effecting the surgery. It won't.

Good luck!
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM

My cycle is due to arrive just a day or two before my surgery. When i spoke to the nurse at the hospital about this. She said it wouldn't be a problem.

Just not something i am really looking forward too, having surgery and being on my period!
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:07 PM

I got mine 2 days b-4. Just like the above post they gave me the disposable panties and pad. They see it all of the time. I came out of surgery with a pad under me. I have not worn one since that dayThe only thing is you cannot have advil (ibuprofen) about a week b-4 because it thins your blood. Talk to your doc about that. If you need a different pain killer the doc can perscribe something. My pathology confirmed adenomyosis. Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Why is it that i can have three children and care less who sees my "who who"...JUST GET IT OUT!!!

but

I am feeling totally embarrassed about going into surgery and i will be on my cycle??

Anyone else feel that way??
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october1 View Post
I got mine 2 days b-4. Just like the above post they gave me the disposable panties and pad. They see it all of the time. I came out of surgery with a pad under me. I have not worn one since that dayThe only thing is you cannot have advil (ibuprofen) about a week b-4 because it thins your blood. Talk to your doc about that. If you need a different pain killer the doc can perscribe something. My pathology confirmed adenomyosis. Best wishes for your surgery.

Good advise about the ibuprofen....my preop visit they almost wanted to reschedule me because of taking that but luckly it had been only 1 dose.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM

I am set to start my period also right around my surgery date (April 22). This is on my list of questions for my pre-op appt. Thanks everyone for letting us know it really isn't a big deal, just a personal yuck issue

Thanks for the reminder about the Motrin, stopping it before surgery. I am so not looking forward to no motrin before sugery. I take it daily for lupus pains (800mg 3-4 times a day).. Good thing I am going to the rheumy doctor first.

I am SO looking forward to no more periods!!
Melinda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register