Cervical Cancer: Pre-follow up butterflies and recent commercials | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-follow up butterflies and recent commercials Pre-follow up butterflies and recent commercials

Unread 03-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Pre-follow up butterflies and recent commercials

First my 4 year appt is coming up on Thurs. As always I have mad butterflies in my tummy. I'm also growing more nervous about what happens next year when I reach the 5-year "cured" mark. Will my gyne/onco release me back to the regular gyne? Could I make it possible to schedule yearly's with my gyne/onco? Has anyone else managed the yearly's with the onco even after the 5 year mark?

I don't have much faith in the ob/gyn after they saw the polyp and still insisted that (they believed) it wasn't cancerous. And just the fact that it was missed. The bleeding started just 6 mos after my routine exam. I know paps aren't 100%, but I dunno....I have complete trust in my gyne/onco, not so much in the ob/gyn.

Next, has anyone else noticed the increase in CC ads on tv? Its really messing with me & my emotions. I guess in an attempt to bring awareness its also hitting the hard emotional points of CC. Like loss of fertility at a young age. I want to change the channel every time one comes on. Is anyone else bothered by them? I know raising awareness is SO important, and the ads have to really hit home to get people to understand, but gosh it still hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Re: Pre-follow up butterflies and recent commercials

Hi Vega,

Just this year I started noticing the CC on tv and the other one I think its the Bloom study. Try to take the mad butterflies in your tummy for a nice walk and try to relax, it suppose to be a pretty day here.
Good luck!
Unread 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Even though mine is vaginal, those cc commercials mess with me emotionally also. Although I do like their message, cervical cancer isn't fair. But like you it stirs up emotions and I find myself getting teared up.

Good luck with your appointment and I'm sure you'll do fine. But those mad butterflies will go away. As far as who to see at that 5 yr mark, I don't know. I know I was told, even in the beginning, that I should always see my gyno/onco due to the rarity of the cancer. If you feel better about seeing the gyno/onco maybe they would continue to see you if insurance permits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2010, 10:10 AM

I hope you do get to see who you want to see with your follow up treatment. I'm like you in that I don't really want to go back to my original Gyno. I just have no faith in her abilities. I have quite a few years to go before I have to face that however.
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM

I do not have tv but I would agree that it is just pharmaceuticals pushing their product. It is sad. Best wishes with you 4 year exam vega
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM

yee-ha, 4 years! I'm visualizing glowing health around you right now! It will be nice to get the results and then let the butterflies out to flutter about in the clean spring air!

I was pretty much sent off to my regular GYN right away, which has made me a little nervous,but she is really awesome, and I am very certain that she will raise the alarm if she sees anything amiss. (She's really seasoned, and I'm sure she doesn't give a rats *** if the insurance companies think she is not conservative enough)

If you do get sent to a regular GYN at the 5 year mark, please ask your GYN /ONC for some recommendations of people that she likes and works well with. You deserve to feel comfortable.
The ads aren't too bothersome to me - my situation wasn't the same, and if it helps kids coming up now, I'm all for it. They are designed to gain customers, but they also probably raise awareness in general, which may help with research and even more prevention. fingers crossed.

Unread 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM

First...congrats on your 4 year hysterversary!! Here's to many, many more years dancing with NED!
I'm sorry you're having "butterflies" but it kind of comforts me to know I'm not the only one who gets so uptight at exam time. I guess this is something we'll always have to deal with after having a cancer dx....I get nervous if I have to go to the doctor for my flu shot!!
My gyn-onc told me I would always see him...I had endo cancer 1A and had no further treatment. He said until one of us is too old to show up for the exam, he'd be my doctor.
I could never go back to my regular gyno because of how horribly she handled my case so I know how you feel. Ask your gyn-onc for some names and ask around...and also ask if you can just stay with your gyn-onc. Maybe you don't have to switch.
I certainly hope you have a big celebration planned for this wonderful 4 year milestone!!! You deserve it!
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Hi Vega,

So happy to hear you've reached your 4 year mark! You must take great comfort in that!

I, like some of the others, have been told I'm seeing my gyn/onc for life. I guess it's good she's younger than me!! lol!

I would discuss this at my next appointment. Maybe you have a choice in the matter. It doesn't make sense that some would continue and some wouldn't.......maybe it's up to you and your doctor.

I don't like those ads either. I generally tune them out, or turn the channel! I guess in a way I wish I was of the generation that could get vaccinated, as I hever even heard of hpv until I had cancer.

But I have heard of some really bad side effects from the vaccine. I think people need to proceed with caution and really become informed before getting vaccinated.

Good luck with your appointment, and hope those butterflies vanish soon!
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Vega,

I asked my gyn/onc if I could continue to see her and she said yes. That made me feel better. Either way, I was not returning to my gyn who made too many missteps in my diagnosis, causing me to need a second surgery.

But that's in the past. Ever forward! Best wishes to you in this and all future appointments!
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM

My gyn and my gyn-onc both did my surgery - gyn for the hysterectomy/BSO and then my gyn-onc did the lymph nodes and wash. They work together pretty often and I like both of them.

For my followups I will see my gyn in six months, then my gyn-onc in a year, then my gyn six months after that, and so on until my three year mark. They share their records for patients they have in common (like me).

That said, I was a little disconcerted at my 6 week post-op last week. My gyn introduced me to her practice partner as "our youngster with uterine cancer", LOL. It was in context as we'd just been discussing genetic screening for Lynch syndrome (I opted to do it), and they had just been to some presentation about Lynch syndrome the week prior, but still!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register