Which estrogen is least likely to cause weight gain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which estrogen is least likely to cause weight gain Which estrogen is least likely to cause weight gain

Unread 10-07-2001, 07:44 PM
Which estrogen is least likely to cause weight gain

Hi! I had my hyst. in 1992. I am 47. I was on Premarin for 5 years.
Now I am on Estrace 1mg (1/2 in Am & 1/2 in PM) and I use OTC
Progesterone cream once in the evening. I have had a problem with weight for quite some time since I started taking estrogen.
Is there a delivery system that works better than others or a type of estrogen that works better if you have a weight problem.
My stomach is my problem. It sticks out and I hate it. Why can't they make an estrogen that doesn't cause fluid retention & or weight gain. I was a size 10 before estrogen & am now in a 14.
Does any one know of a diet that works for us?Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2001, 08:50 PM
darn weight gain...I hate it too

Jerris....I too have an interest in this topic. I am 6 months post op TAH/BSO and am struggling with this problem. I'd also be interested in hearing from others who've had success in NHRT and not gaining a ton of weight! I originally was on topical creams, but started having problems with increased headaches. The compounded pharmacist I work with thought I may have not been absorbing the creams consistently, so I switched to the Vivelle Dot, but I found that even on the lowest dose at .0375 mg I was still having problems with water retention and weight gain, major craving for sweets, ugh, but my headaches improved. I have switched back to the creams, but have noticed the last week that my headaches are up. The water retention isn't as bad, but I don't know which of the two evils I want to live with! I'm getting frustrated

I'm supposed to talk to the pharmacist tomorrow and try and come up with another solution. I was thinking maybe increase the amount of estrogen and/or progesterone in the creams and give it another few weeks. I was also wondering if I should give the oral route a try. Does tri-est come in compounded capsule form? I'll find out tomorrow I guess :shape:

I do think the estradiol is too "strong" for me....causing the weight gain, cravings, water retention? I did try plain estriol in cream form just after my hyst, but the headaches were horrendous post op. The pharmacist wanted me to try just the plain estriol because she said it's the least stimulating of the three estrogens to uterine tissue and with endo being a concern, I don't want to aggravate any remaining microscopic endo just in case. So far I haven't had any "telltale" symptoms - cross fingers and toes! But I was also coming down off Lupron which caused me terrible headaches, so it was hard to tell which one (hormones and/or Lupron) was causing the headaches post op for the most part. It's all so aggravating.
Unread 10-08-2001, 05:38 AM

Jerris,
I currently use 1.25ml of tri-est and .50ml of progesterone daily, both in cream form. While I haven't gained any weight I have noticed that my weight is distributed differently than it was before the hyst. My waist is thicker and the ol' hips are a bit wider.

There's a good article on weight and hrt here www.hormonejungle.com/weight.php

You may also want to visit The Hysteritaville Resort message board. The ladies there may be able to share some tips on what has worked for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2001, 08:49 AM

Hi,

I can only speak for myself. Since my TAH in January I've been (or it on me) the V. Dot .05. I'm now up to applying it EOD. All is fine for right now. As far as weight is concerned I weigh the same as before my surgery. I have not increased my exercise or changed my diet in any way. For my height of 5'10" I've always been on the thin side. Just around 125 lbs. but haven't gained a pound on the V. Dot patch. Hope this helps.

Sister Katie
Unread 10-08-2001, 11:36 AM
trying new delivery method...

I posted yesterday about my concerns with NHRT and weight gain. I just spoke with my pharmacist and we decided to try the tri-est in a compunded capsule form. She's been great during all this....helping me whenever I have a question or concern. My doctor is open to whatever she recommends thank goodness, so I will pick them up later today. I'm still staying with the compunded progesterone cream as is for now and give the oral tri-est a good month to see what happens. I'm hoping it works.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register