If not low estrogen then what? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If not low estrogen then what? If not low estrogen then what?

Unread 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
If not low estrogen then what?

Hi all,

I am happy to finally be a member. Last July (2009) I had a TAH with removal of 1 ovary (took cervix, too). Right after that, I had my first hot flash in the hospital. I thought it might be the morphine.

Since then, I've had hot flashes (more severe now), night sweats, vaginal dryness or yeast infection (intense for about two months), nausea, depression, and dry/burning mouth. I've had my hormone levels checked twice (recently last week and once in Aug 2009) and my doctor says it's good news!! I am producing estrogen so menopause can't be the reason for my issues.

I am 41 years old and wondering what in the world this could be! Is what I'm experiencing related to my TAH??

Any help is appreciated. Wonder if there are others out there like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Re: If not low estrogen then what?

Hi Crazyorwhat - I am 42 yrs old and 5 weeks post op from LAVH and I think I'm having night sweats, but not really sure. I kept both ovaries, no cervix and uterus. Usually every morning around 4:30 am I wake up extremely sweaty and hot ... but that is the only time of day I get it ... am I crazy or what? I'm going to ask my DR about it when I go for my 6 week checkup.
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Let me know what comes of it and best of luck to you.

I don't think you are crazy and wonder if your ovaries need more time to "wake up". However, at the same time, I wonder really what perimenopausal means...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM

I am 42 ,kept both ovaries,removed the cervix. I am @ the 7 week post-op LAVH & I feel the same too,but lately it's getting better,my hands & feet used to get cold & then hot, sweating.I already asked the Dr & he said" the ovaries get schocked due to the trauma of the surgery & the lack of blood the uterus used to supply that they will kick back in" I Hope it will improve for you.
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM

I seem to remember Oprah having a show about hormones and they were saying that what is "normal" for one woman is much different than what is "normal" for others. I believe they talked about going to an endocrinologist for more accurate testing of hormone levels.. If it has been over 6 months since surgery, might want to do some research and ask about additional testing. Good luck....
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Hi crazyorwhat,

I had a TAH in November 2009, leaving ovaries but taking everything else. Not long after I came out of hospital I started to have night sweats, the occasional hot flash in the day, feeling cold, and my eyelashes started falling out in places. I went to the doctor and he sent me for a blood test to check out my hormones, thyroid and iron levels.

My test came back that I was in surgical menopause, even though I kept my ovaries. He put me on a low dose ERT and the symptoms went away really quickly. I'm still hoping my ovaries willwake up, so I'll see what happens.

My only question is did your doctor tell you what levels estrogen your body was producing? You may still be producing some, but it may not be enough to prevent menopausal symptoms. Did your doctor send you for blood tests at different times of the month to see if your estrogen levels fluctuate? Also I understand from the internet (dangerous thing!) that your body sometimes has reserves of estrogen that it will use up after your ovaries stop producing it.

I agree with kimmywoman, you might want to do some research and ask for additional testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorwhat View Post
Hi all,
I've had my hormone levels checked twice (recently last week and once in Aug 2009) and my doctor says it's good news!! I am producing estrogen so menopause can't be the reason for my issues.
Unread 03-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Oh, how I hate the word 'normal'! My hormone levels came back as normal, yet I was having all the menopause symptoms you could think of. Since I never had my hormone levels checked prior to surgery (never had any cause to do it), how do they know what MY normal is?
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Thank you all for your replies and I am sorry for what you have or are going thru. I know the feeling!

My check in Aug was 5.7 FSH and 78 Estradiol, but I didn't ask for the recent numbers. Wonder if that is much different. I need to check.

Disney Diva, any history with CA that could be impacting you?
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorwhat View Post
My check in Aug was 5.7 FSH and 78 Estradiol, but I didn't ask for the recent numbers. Wonder if that is much different. I need to check.
Hi crazyorwhat,

My results were 93 LH, 168 FSH and <50 estradiol, all indicative of surgically induced menopause. I don't know if it will help, but I've looked at a few sites on the internet that say:

A menopausal woman will generally have very high levels of FSH and LH, but very low levels of estrogen (estradiol) in her bloodstream.

Most researchers use a 35-50 FSH level as the gauge whether a woman has reached postmenopause.

In menopause, estradiol levels typically are less than 32 pg/ml and often <10. When treating menopausal women with estrogen, a reasonable target would be estradiol levels of 50-100 pg/ml.

In normal reproductive-age women, during the menstrual cycle estradiol levels range from 50-170 pg/ml. The level of estrogen changes during different parts of the menstrual cycle. Estrogen levels below 50 to 80 pg/ml may be associated with hot flashes, and may signal perimenopause. After menopause, estrogen levels are usually less than 35 pg/ml.
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Personally, I would like to take that "GOOD NEWS" and shove it where the sun dont shine! I too am having aweful symptoms and they kept my overies. I had blood work done and told me all of it was "normal" and left it at that! So now what? Im just left here to stew in my symptoms? Grrrrr i hate when there is no compassion!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register