Anyone had a LEEP procedure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had a LEEP procedure? Anyone had a LEEP procedure?

Unread 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Anyone had a LEEP procedure?

Hi everyone~

Wondering if anyone has ever had the LEEP procedure done? Electrocautery Excision of the Cervix?

I'm having it done in a few weeks to hopefully end the monthly bleeding that I have had since my LSH a year ago.

I'm hoping I am making the right decision , instead of having the cervix completely removed.

Thanks!

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Re: Anyone had a LEEP procedure?

hi sherry
I had a LEEP in 02/07. Mine was for a bad pap. The procedure was not terrible but the meds that they give you made me have a racing heart then a bad headache. Other than that just had couch rest for the weekend because it cause me to bleed alot. Best of luck!!
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks for your reply!
I noticed your surgery was 2 months after that. Did the procedure not work? Or do you still have your cervix?
I am a redhead and a bleeder.... which has been the source of all problems since I had my surgery in the first place. So I am a little concerned about the bleeding after having this done. I don't have a good record with that stuff.

Thank you!
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM

hey sherry! I am a blonde and a serious bleeder. My bleeding was so bad that the dr sent the nurse next office over that was general surgery to find a suture kit. What!! I was flipping. The nurse said that they didn't have any so I had to wear a tampon for 24hrs and lay down. The pathology cane back CIN 3. That's what caused my hyster. I wish I would have had both ovaries taken. Now I am having my last ovary taken put on June. Still healing from my last breast surgery on 2/25. Ugh!
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:50 AM

OMG!!
That is scary!! That was after your LEEP procedure? I'm starting to rethink this decision all of a sudden... lol

I already had my uterus removed, but the cervix was left for major support issues that I also have. The problem is that it bled for almost 3 months after the surgery, and now I have a "period" every 25 days. She thinks cells are left over on the cervix. Crazy! My ovaries are having issues too. Ugh.. always something! Just had another ultrasound that showed multiple cysts. I was really wishing I just had everything removed at once when I had the chance! I don't know what we are going to do about the ovaries. They are healthy otherwise, just full of cysts. Ugh!
I should also throw in there, that the other day I found a breast lump. WTH-- I am kind of beside myself! LOL. Could anything else possibly happen????
Is that what you had? I noticed you had breast surgery.

Can I ask what CIN3 is? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that. How are you doing now?
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Dear redhead75,
Let me know if you go through it. I just had a cauterization done last week with silver nitrate to deal with mini periods. I had my LSH done in August 2009.
My doctor told me that if the silver nitrate procedure does not work (I'll know in about 3 weeks), she can then cauterize with a laser in the hospital (similar to LEEP?). It's an out-patient proceedure.
Cheers,
Monina
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:20 AM

Hi Monina~

I had several applications of that, monsel, and a cauterization too. She "burned" the spots that were still causing the bleeding. I had that done a month after my hysterectomy. But the periods still arrive. My dr. seems to think this will (hopefully) take care of it by removing the lining inside the cervix where all the cells are. I don't know.. the whole thing sounds kind of scary to me.

Good luck to you!
Sherry
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM

hey sherry..... i would give the LEEP a try. I didn't bleed after the tampon came out and because i didn't have my cervix after hyster, i bled very minimum (i know that each person has a different experience) but dang, I would never want to go back to having a period!!!!
CIN 3 is the last step before it is cancer. my original pap was CIN, then a colposcopy to get a better look and it came back CIN2 and they do the LEEP to get a better look and maybe get all the cells. It came back CIN3. I have had lots of bad paps and was done with babies and periods so I just decided to fix that whole issue.
Breast lumps. I never ever felt any of mine. They would show up in mammos. I had my first lumpectomy in 96 at 28 when the gyno found a lump during a prenatal appt. Then I started with mammos at 35 and just about every time they would find something. I finally did breast genetic cancer screening and came back negative in 2008. Then my annual breast mri in 04/09 showed 2 lumps and 2 clusters of cells. Lots of biopsys and screenings, I had precancer of the breast and 2 lumps that needed to be removed. At that point I was done!!! I did a mastectomy with immed reconstruction in 08/09 and then an implant exchange/scar revision in 02/10.
Okay so on to the latest saga...chronic ovarian pain with multi cysts. So I am now done with that LOL I take lots of pain meds and it affects my daily life in the sense of my attitude. I push thru the day but i know sometimes it makes me crabby and all the meds are not good for you.
But seriously, I do think alot of all this medical stuff is the attitude that you have. my saying that i like is 'that it is what it is' Just go forward...heck i have no periods anymore, my breasts are WAY bigger than they were and perky for life. OH and no bras for me forever...YEAH!!! Life is good... it is what you make it. Hang in there!!!

LOL I was looking at my signature block.. I have to update that ... 42 now and mastectomy not listed..wow time flies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register