TAH/BSO: 2 weeks Post op- had first post op appt today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO: 2 weeks Post op- had first post op appt today TAH/BSO: 2 weeks Post op- had first post op appt today

Unread 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM
TAH/BSO: 2 weeks Post op- had first post op appt today

Had TAH/BSO ( uterus, both ovaries, some of cervix) out on 3/12.
I wanted to give some encouraging stories to other "sisters" out there

I am 2 weeks post op & have been going WAY better than I thought I would. No incision issues, no BM issues- yay! Incsion healing very well - so at post op day 16 it's not swollen or red anymore. On occassion I'm using heating pad on lower back or tummy - but not directly on the incision area.

Since home, I haven't been in bed except for at night. Still a bit difficult to sleep on anything but back - but I'm a bit "plump" w/ a tummy normally - so that belly is more swollen now from surgery - so it needs some support from a pillow if I lay on my side for a bit. Sleep has been on & off - usually surprisingly well for sleeping - on occassion a bit stiff/ uncomfy - but I think that's just from laying around the house all the time!

Still gas pains on occassion - but doing probiotic yogurt & prune/plum juice everyother day & a Metamucil capsule every other day ( it has only 3g fiber - doesn't give me those horrible cramps!)
No bleeding/ spotting - but I had abdominal surgery, not vaginal.
Can easily go up stairs from beginning - just have to go slow and hold tummy. I find I'm using my binder quite a bit - I got the one from this site that is the 'Abdominal Support Binder" - works great to give feeling of support as well as hold in my swollen, jiggly bits
Still slow to get up & down from couch & bed - still hold tummy for that!
Haven't gained weight - am on Vivelle 0.1 patch since day of surgery - I had hot flashes 4 hours after sugery like crrrazy! Since then - no emotional issues or flashes - until I went to a lower does (0.75) patch per my doc - that produced hot flashes big time. So I'm back on the higher dose, but my doc said as I'm 41, it's ok to be on 'higher' dose as my body would have been making a lot more estrogen than that.

Hubby taking great care to not "let" me do anything - he lets me pick up a soup can, but that's about it. He will let me fold a few washclothes, but he does the laundry and gives me light, easy things to fold on the couch. I can wipe counters - just not bending to much, twisting, holding anything heavier than about 4 lbs. No sweeping or anything like that.

Had my first post op appt today - doc said all going well & can drive if not on the narcotics at the time.
* Note: I am still having some pains that feel like Pulling - from my navel to incision to groin/ thigh area. I feel them more getting in & out of bed, trying to lay flat, getting up & down from couch. Mostly pulling/ straining feeling -- sometimes w/ a more sharp or burning pain. also still feel 'swelly belly" - but not at incision, which is pretty low, but from navel to incison, where i already have a tummy anyway.Doc said this is all Normal! Said it's from healing as they do a lot of cutting - so scarring/ healing is happening & sometimes teeny tiny nerves can get cut or irritated - that can be part of it too. Doc said as long as I have more positive recovery ( energy level, activity level, etc) than the 'negatives" ( that pulling, burning, sharp pain) we're good.
Doc said most important thing was to... PAMPER MYSELF! Doc said they see at 2-3 mark women going nuts from boredom as well as starting to feel good & doing to much around house - and that it always leads to them pulling things, irritating internal stitches, getting hematomas - and making them have MORE pain & longer recovery. Everyone @ the doc emphasized taking the full 6 weeks to pamper & recover--it's nice to know they don't blow it off as "no big thing" ! They didn't do an internal exam - since I wasn't having any vaginal type pain/ issues/ bleeding. They said I will have an internal at my 6 week check up.
Got a refill for my pain meds ( Percoet) - doc said would still be normal to take 3 times a day if needed & combining w/ super Motrin would help make both the meds work a bit better. Also refill on hormone patch.

Just wanted to let people know a pretty good/ happy recovery story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Re: TAH/BSO: 2 weeks Post op- had first post op appt today

Yeahhhh Peadpoddddd33 WAY 2 GOOOOOOO. You felt like me. Keep taking it easy. Don't try to rush out there. Our immune systems are very low & we can pick u all kind of germssss.

I stopped takeing the drugs after 2 weeks post opt. I only take tylenol es & it's generic. I realized I did not take any today..Feel Great. I may even take a walk tomorrow. I was going to wait until 6 week check up next week. Your Dr sounds like mine. All he said was take it slow. I have & had no set back. I did not pick up a thing. I loved Being a Princess. Going to hate to go back to work on the 13th of April.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register