Bleeding - how heavy is too heavy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding - how heavy is too heavy? Bleeding - how heavy is too heavy?

Unread 06-05-2000, 07:34 PM
Bleeding - how heavy is too heavy?

Hello all! I just found this website and am so pleased to know there is a resource for 'real women' that's not full of medical jargon...

I had a vaginal (no laproscope used - no external incisions!) two weeks ago and could not have been more pleased. My complete hospital stay was 24 hours - needless to say I was amazed. However, I am puzzled about how I'm feeling now. Other than some nausea and fatigue, these past two weeks had been fine. Very light, pink (and yes, funky smelling) discharge which required no more than a regular mini-pad change a few times a day. Suddenly,three days ago it seemed I was back on my period! Very heavy, very red blood required me to change my pad virtually every hour. I didn't give it much thought as I assumed it was part of the healing process, but the bleeding continues, though douching with vinegar and water seems to make it subside for a good half day. Now, I'm on the third day of this and wonder if I should be concerned (?). I haven't been as I've had no fever or real pain, other than some noticeable discomfort where my uterus used to be, but now I'm feeling nauseated most of the day and pale. I know this may seem silly to pose this question to you all and not my physician, but I'm out of town on business (yes, I returned to work this week) and won't be able to see her for another week.

Have any of you had a similar experience or should I book the next flight home.....

I apologize for the length and thank you in advance for your thoughts....

Kindest regards to you all,
Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2000, 07:47 PM

Hi
In a brochure the hospital gave me about hyst it says any bleeding requiring a once an hour change of a pad should be reported.

Please call your doctor for peace of mind! Or call a local hospital and ask for a nurse in the ER or ob/gyn area. Let us know what happens..Take Care
Unread 06-05-2000, 09:42 PM

Dear Brenda... My post-op instructions said any red bleeding means call the doc (red = *new* blood). Also anything more than one soaked pad per hour means call the doc.

And, lastly, my post-op instructions said *nothing in vagina* for 6 weeks (that would include douche). I was on 6-week medical leave after my TVH.

If you are unable to reach your regular doc, perhaps you could talk by phone with a medical advise nurse (that's what we use w/ HMO) or even go to the ER. It sounds like it definitely needs to be checked out. Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2000, 05:51 AM

Brenda - I have to agree with the other ladies here. Call the doctor ASAP - or go to the nearest ER. The bleeding you are experiencing is not normal. I hope that by now you have contacted a doctor about this. Please let us know how you are today.
Unread 06-06-2000, 11:50 AM

Thanks all of you for your advice and concern. The bleeding has stopped (whew!)and now it's back to the 'regular' discharge stuff, so I am relieved about that.

As for douching, my doctor advised me to do so if I wanted, for the odor primarily, after two weeks. I will be seeing her this week, but for now the concerns are eased, largely due to y'alls experiences and advice. Thanks so much ladies - this site is a real blessing.

Warm hugs -
Brenda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register