Scheduled TVH Blind-sided by EKG & TVH cancellation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blind-sided by EKG & TVH cancellation Blind-sided by EKG & TVH cancellation

Unread 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Blind-sided by EKG & TVH cancellation

Super stressful day! Was all prepped for the O.R. when docs told me there was a problem w my EKG & surgery was abruptly canceled. Now I have to see a cardiologist.To top it off I also had the worst migraine in years! I was so freakin' sick today. It sucked! Now to postpone the inevitable. I was so ready! Mentally prepared, calendar cleared, time off work given to my caregivers. To start all over again w the added stress of a possible heart problem. Talk about being blind-sided! Ugh! /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Re: Blind-sided by EKG & TVH cancellation

I had elbow surgery a year ago and they almost cancelled the surgery because of a blip on the EKG.. I had to go in for a stress test and a 24 hour heart monitor... turned out okay and hope yours will too.. try not to get too stressed out... better to be tested and figure out what is going on then not do well with surgery. Take care and let us know how you are doing...
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:01 AM

Wow, that would definitely suck.
What was the abnormality detected on your EKG?
I have high blood pressure, tachycardia, palpitations and angina and they didn't cancel my surgery??
Regardless I hope it is something minor and you can get everything squared away once again for a SUCCESSFUL surgery! I don't know what I'd do if I went to the hospital on surgery day and left WITH my uterus!
(((((hugs!)))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2010, 05:10 AM

Because I had a heart attack 17 years ago, the doctors required a presurgical cardiac clearance that involved at a minimum, a stress test. I was the one who nearly cancelled my TAH because I was afraid of undergoing additional cardiac treatment.

In a kind, but firm manner, the surgeon told me that the anesthesiologist was not going to put me under without a cardiac clearance because they didn't want me dying from a heart attack or stroke after they performed the TAH. Doctors are not so cold-hearted that they don't care about their patients. In retrospect, it would have been foolish of me not to have been able to go into surgery with a clear mind and normal risk factors.

In my case, my cardiac stress test established me as an "acceptable" risk, and we were able to go forward without much fanfare, but I also learned that had I needed additional treatment, things have advanced much in the past 17 years since my initial heart attack.

I KNOW that you're disappointed with the delay and probably fear of the unknown, but you will be better off getting the cardiac clearance first.

I will pray for you that any cardiac intervention will be minimal and that your other surgery can be rescheduled soon.

God bless you.
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Sometimes those things are a blip or minimal, but if not, lucky to find it and get treated. But what a disappointment! I hope it can be dealt with and rescheduled soon. Good luck.
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:35 AM

Did they do a pre-op EKG before your actual day? I'm A Respiratory Therapist and we do alot with the cardiac sytem including EKG's, Stress tests and Echo's and I know that if your nervous you might have some tachycardia which would resolve when you relax a bit. And a big thing is artifact, if the leads aren't just right there will be alot of interference. So maybe its nothing major and just someone not looking at it right? I hope so for you anyway. I would be raging mad if I went in all ready and they suddenly cancelled. I'd prob be like ahhh helllll nawwww you put me on that board and take me back or I will not be back again! That sucks for you
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:36 PM

It has to be tough to have them cancel so late. I guess now I can't ***** at my doc for having an EKG done before I was cleared to have my colonoscopy on Friday. Also had to have EKG prior to hyst. So the good news is that the heart doctor can look at it and determine how best to help you. I was really freaked out when they first discovered I had a murmur but my cardiologist said it is nothing. Sending wishes for a simple solution to this problem.
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valrj1144 View Post
Super stressful day! Was all prepped for the O.R. when docs told me there was a problem w my EKG & surgery was abruptly canceled. Now I have to see a cardiologist.To top it off I also had the worst migraine in years! I was so freakin' sick today. It sucked! Now to postpone the inevitable. I was so ready! Mentally prepared, calendar cleared, time off work given to my caregivers. To start all over again w the added stress of a possible heart problem. Talk about being blind-sided! Ugh! /
I too had a very stressful emotional day on the same day as you and my surgery was cancelled due to a detected blood disorder which would have been fatal if I had surgery. I know how sad you feel as I do as well.
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Hope you are both feeling better today. Sending lots of hugs. I know how hard this can be.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register