My TVH Story, 5 Weeks Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My TVH Story, 5 Weeks Post Op My TVH Story, 5 Weeks Post Op

Unread 04-01-2010, 02:36 AM
My TVH Story, 5 Weeks Post Op

On Friday, April 2nd, I will be 5 weeks post op from a TVH. I have to tell you, even though I still have "good days" "bad days" the good days are more and more, and the bad days are less and less.. and I had far more good days the month of March, then any month prior to surgery.

Let me start with my reason for my surgery and for that, I need to go back quite a few years. I started having periods when I was 11.. horrible, awful, long, heavy periods. Very heavy. One of my fewest and first Jr. High memories is me in class. I had to get up to take some thing to the teacher and heard laughing behind me. I sat down, a little bit later the teacher called me to her desk and told me to go to the bathroom. Once in the bathroom, I saw that I had bled through my pads, panties and jeans and had a stain on the back of my jeans. That apparently the kids in my class had seen. I had to go home and change.. I didn't go back to school for a couple days... when I did it was several weeks before the teasing and snickers stopped.

Gym class was impossible during my periods all through Jr. High and High school. I had many missed days of school during my week period back then. Periods were never regular. I would go 2 or 3 months without one (some times) then have one that lasted 2 weeks. Or I would have one every 3 weeks and last a long week.. some times they were every month for a long week. Birth control did nothing to help.

I started having other problems. I had to get a leep procedure done when I was 17, another done a year later at 18. At 19 I got pregnant (while on birth control) and had my first child. Some a little bit after his birth, my periods calmed down for a bit. They were shorter... still heavy, but regular and didn't last as long. That lasted only awhile though.. Then they came back, even worse. I started being tired, all the time.. and I do mean all the time. Periods would last any where from 9 to 15 days.. Very very heavy.. bleeding through clothes, even when wearing 2 pads. I couldn't do much with my son because of being tired. When he hit 2 and was an active toddler, I just wasn't up to caring for and chasing after him. I was getting sick all the time.. moody, emotional. Had galstones and had my galbladder removed in 2003. I had another leep done in 2004. His dad and I were not together, and he ended up spending a lot of time with his father and grandparents, because I just couldn't be the mommy he needed. In Feb of 2005, I got pregnant with my 2nd child, again on birth control. This time around, I had a very complicated pregnancy and spent a lot of the pregnancy on bed rest. The first couple of months I spent on bed rest because of bleeding. In April of 2005, I did one of the hardest things in my entire life and gave custody of my oldest son to his father. (We live 3 hours from each other) and my son needed some one who could go outside and run with him, play with him, care for him. The middle of my pregnancy brought an end to the bledding, but a whole other set of problems with me going into premature labor several times, and of all things, Kidney Stones. So, on bed rest I stayed. I was due in the middle of Nov, but on October 7, 6 weeks early the Dr. induced me because of all the problems I was going through myself. They wanted to do surgery to remove the kidney stones that wouldn't pass and care of other medical problems. My 2nd little boy was brought into the world and his lungs collasped. He was transfered to a bigger hospital, better able to care for him and I was sent up there as well. For a week, we had no idea if he was going to make it or not. But he did and he is a very healthy, happy little boy today. After havign him, the bleeding lasted 8 weeks and then I started having at least regular periods again... well, they were like clockwork, every 25 days... lasting 7 to 15 days at a time though still. With these periods still came the heavy bleeding, but also some thing else.. ALOT of pain. More pain then I had every experienced. Sex became painful.. and I was even more tired then before.. (I didn't think it was possible, but it was) I couldn't do any thing. Even in between periods I was just tired and emotional all the time. I had no energy. At all. My husband took care of my youngest son and my oldest son continued living with his father. I was missing so much of their lives. In October of 2006, I had an emergency surgery to remove my Appendix. My OBGYN kept saying I was to young to have any thing real done. They tried changing birth controls, giving each new kind a few months to prove they didn't work. The pain each month had me in bed for over a week (pain came before the bleeding and lasted until after) In Jan of 2008, without even knowing I was pregnant yet again, I miscarried. This pretty much put an end to my sexual life with my husband. Emotionally I couldn't handle the idea of getting pregnant with another child.. I wasn't able to care for the 2 I had, let alone a 3rd, and the idea of another miscarriage also scared me. Things just got worse through 2008 and 2009. Finally in Decemeber of 2009, I talked to my family Dr.. who did a pap test, that came back abnormal again. I burst into tears and told her I didn't want to deal with yet another leep procedure, more bleeding, more problems. She told me she knew a OBGYN that was pretty good about doing hysterectomes on people... even young ones. (that was always the problem with previous OBGYN'S, they didn't want to do the surgery on some one so young that may regret it), so anyways, my Family dr. sent the referral on Jan 3rd to the OBGYN. I saw her, she ran blood test, did an ultra sound where they do all kinds of wierd painful things inside there lol, and on Feb. 8th with my results of all the test, sat down to talk to me. She told me that I had fibroids and a whole bunch of other issues causing all my problems... and that without a doubt I needed a hysterectomy and soon. So, on Feb, 26th, 2010, I had my TVH.

The past years since my kids were born, have been awful and I have missed so much time with them.. Days at my sons school for school plays, because of heavy periods, teeball games because of pain and again, heavy bleeding... I had enough of missing their life.

On Friday, I will be 5 weeks post op and already I have more energy then I have ever had before. I have lost a little bit of weight.. and although I still have some moody, sore days... no periods lol. No bleeding.. I kept my ovaries and have had a couple hot flashes here and there, but those won't bring me down. The pain is pretty much gone.. only a few days here and there of some soreness. I had dehydration early after my surgery and spent a couple extra days in the hospital, but that was quickly treated. I had some leaking from my bladder, but even that has resolved it's self.

My 4 year old has already noticed a change in me and told me that I smile and laugh more. He also told me that I don't sleep as much as I use to. He is so right.

I have days where I am sad... I will be 28 on April 15th and I wish I could've experienced a normal pregnancy, followed by being a normal mommy to my little one from birth on forward... A daughter would've been nice... so I do get sad....

But ya know? I have two wonderful kids and more then any thing.. I just look forward to being their mommy. I look forward to running in the park with them, taking them to amusement parks and being able to ride the rides, going to water parks and being able to get into the water with them and not worry about periods. I look foward to pain free sex and having a healthy sex life with my husband again.. not worrying about surprise pregnancies, miscarriages etc. I look forward to not being tired, not being in pain, not having bleeding ruin the car seats or my new bed mattress.

I look forward to many happy, fun days being a mommy. There is no doubt in my mind, I did the right thing on Feb 26 2010 and that, that day is the first day of the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register