Have ovaries, but menopause symptoms... birth control pill offered | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have ovaries, but menopause symptoms...  birth control pill offered Have ovaries, but menopause symptoms... birth control pill offered

Unread 04-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Question - Have ovaries, but menopause symptoms...  birth control pill offered Have ovaries, but menopause symptoms... birth control pill offered

I am almost one year post-op from a Radical Hyst. I am 30 years old and have experienced hot flashes, night sweats, hair loss, mood swings, low sex drive, etc for about four years. My RAH was for cervical cancer and I was told that my menopause symptoms should not be there because my ovaries were and still are functioning correctly. Obviously, this has been extremely frustrating to me. I tried low dose estrogen about six months ago and this had no effect.

I recently moved and saw a new Gyn/Onc yesterday. Because of these symptoms and the fact that I experience fairly severe pain when I ovulate, he and I discussed my going on birth control to see if the hormones would help. He said that this may not work because the estrogen didn't, but I told him that I have always felt better on some sort of BCP. So, he gave me some samples to try for a few months. Before I start them, I was hoping for some insight from my "sisters" concerning this issue.

Has anyone tried BCP to regulate menopause symptoms (when NOT going through menopause)? Any other suggestions of something to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Re: Have ovaries, but menopause symptoms... birth control pill offered

I would give it a try and see if it helps you. Let us know how you do.

Unread 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Have they done blood work and verified that your hormone levels are normal? i am 33 and my doctor told me I was too young to be going through menopause. I got a second opinion and am now trying hormone compound cream. I have only been on it a few weeks but starting to feel better. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I thought that I would share my results with you. I used low dose BCP for about 2.5months. I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in peri-menopause symptoms while on the BCP. My hot flashes and night sweats lessened and my mood was back to normal. Most importantly, the pain from ovulation was gone.

For the last three weeks I have been off of the BCP. This was to see if the pills were actually what was alleviating my problems. I know it sounds crazy to stop taking something that is working, but BCPs cause my narcolepsy meds to work differently, so I really needed to make sure that it was in fact the BCP that was causing these positive changes. Needless to say, I am MISERABLE! More than the general symptoms, my right ovary feels like someone is trying to pull it out of my hip!

So, even though my hormone levels were "normal" and I have ovaries, my body seems to need estrogen as well as progesterone to work correctly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register