pain after LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain after LAVH? pain after LAVH?

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
pain after LAVH?

I'm about three weeks away from my surgery and starting to get a little nervous now. What kind of vaginal pain can I expect from LAVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Re: pain after LAVH?

I had a TVH. I had no pain I could identify as vaginal. My pain felt exactly like menstrual cramps, plus a lower abd pulling sensation. I never took narcs once I was home, took 2 Aleve every 12 hrs for 3 wks with good relief from that. Really it was way less pain than I expected. Hope the same goes for you---although I did not have the "lap" aspect, just the vaginal.
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:11 PM

I had LAVH on 3/25 and had slight vaginal discomfort....more like when I had a baby. They do use instruments in the vagina during the surgery but I wouldn't say it is painful. I came home the same day of the surgery and did not use the pain meds. I'm sure you will do fine. As they say, the waiting is the worst thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 02:13 PM

I had LAVH/BSO on 3/5 and woke up from the surgery feeling fine. No major pain. My cramps before the surgery were worse. I'm 4 weeks post op now and feel better now than I did before the surgery.

Best of Luck
Unread 04-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Just wanted to say that when I had my LAVH in Nov. the only pain I had was a feeling similar to having menstrual cramps, and that was only while at the hospital. Once home the day after surgery I didn't have much pain and none was vaginally. I only took pain pills for a couple of days. Really expected to have alot more pain than I did. Good luck with your surgery and sending wishes for a smooth recovery.
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:58 AM

you might not have much pain, but boy do you tire easily. Make sure you rest and make sure others let you get full nigh'ts sleep. doing me in at moment...
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:54 AM

I DROVE MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS C-R-A-Z-Y LAVH/BSO/Cystocele/Anterior repair/TVT 3/22
Not even two weeks out and I am doing wonderfully! And I'm 61! Never had had any surgery, never had a headache or a menstrul cramp in my life. Childbirth 40 yrs ago was a breeze. I was just so fearful of the entire process/afraid of dying/afraid of pain/afraid of complications but I left hospital a little over 24 hours later. Bladder worked. No cath! Came home. Bowels worked! No pain. And I am just absolutely amazed. The first time I was scheduled 2/25 I got laryngitis and surgery was postponed for 3 weeks. I spent TOOOOOOOO much time reading horror stories and comparing my self/the procedures/my age and scaring myself half silly. The second time scheduled I started w/ an awful cough....I thought I would lose my mind until that morning and the anesthesiologist gave me the go ahead. I know both respiratory incidents were psychosomatic.
All I can say is trust in God, trust your doctor, FOLLOW rules and let family help. DO drink lots (I liked the cranberry juice soooo much that the staff thought my sister was drinking it too!) DO WALK: I had to call staff three times during the night because I was insistent that I get to walk. I could have hit the morphine button 10x per hour (240x total) but I hit it only 8x the entire time AND those times were "preventative" before I walked. THE ONLY NEGATIVE THING THAT OCCURRED: 9:30pm There was a kink in the catheter. I awoke w/ a full and burning feeling. I called staff -no one came. My sister who so kindly and fortunately stayed w/ me- un-kinked it when she saw that it was backed up. AT LEAST I knew I could feel. NO ONE EVER CAME.....the aide coming in at 11:30 pm said she had just come on duty and it was NOT her fault. The desk people NEVER told the nurse and she (nurse) finally came and got the kink out permanently. Thank goodness I had my sister advocate w/ me! OR no telling what would have happened w/ an over full bladder/burning etc.! Don't read too much.
Unread 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Had LAVH on 3/24. I had nothing that I would describe as pain. I told people that i was surprised that I didn't feel anything vaginally - at all. Everything I felt, and do feel, is in my abdomen. It's not pain, but discomfort, kind of like mild cramps - but not crampy, if that makes any sense. It's like a dull ache. The whole thing was so much less than I had it built up in my mind. Now, you do get tired very easily and you'll know if you overdo it. That's more annoying than anything else.
Unread 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I had my LAVH on 3/9 and only took pain medication twice after arriving home. I felt nothing vaginally also, but did have mild cramping... almost like phantom overian cramps, although they removed everything for me. For those, just motrin. I went back to work last week 1/2 days and did a full day on Thursday. I am watching what I lift and how tired I get. You do have good days and bad days like they say. I try to drink a lot of water to keep the bladder working, had some bladder pressure the first week home, and could tell if I walked too much or too long... Every day gets better and I am hopeful that all the symptoms I had before the surgery will be gone from my life. The incisions from the lap are barely noticable, and I did not have a cath when I came out of surgery, so no problems there. Good Luck to you.
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:17 PM

I just had a LAVH last Monday 3/29 and to be honest there really wasn't any pain. I did't even take narcotics while in the hospital, only motrin. I have not taken anything since I have gotten home except the first day.

I must tell you I have had this strange feeling of swelling or pressure in the vaginal area. It is definately not pain, and I have been reading over in post op and this is normal for some people and does go away fairly quickly from what I understand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register