TAH Scheduled April 12th and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH Scheduled April 12th and nervous TAH Scheduled April 12th and nervous

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
TAH Scheduled April 12th and nervous

Hello Sisters...

Well I am scheduled for a TAH for Monday April 12th and needless to say I am riding the emotional rollercoaster...

I am 41 years old, found out 2 years ago that having children was never a possibility for me and now I have been having irregular periods and constant painful cramps and I look pregnant! Always bloated!

I was diagnosed with a 10cm Fibroid and a 4cm Ovarian Cyst on my right ovary. My GYN stated due to my age that drugs to shrink the Fibroid was more of a risk than helpful and the fact that I am not in Menopause he states the Fibroid will keep continuing to grow. I received a second opinon and that doctor was also of the same opinion that a Hysterectomy was the answer to relieve my issues.

Of course my concern is Menopause and sex after...I know I will never be the same Hormonally however I am terrified to have any medical HRT.

I keep flip flopping and I know time is running out. I would love to hear what you sisters have to say and sister to sister...am I doing the right thing?

Look foward to your responses!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Re: TAH Scheduled April 12th and nervous

Oh my goodness! Our symptoms and issues are incredibly similar. I had irregular periods (I recently had three in a thirty day span!) and the bloating is horrendous!

I did try the GnRH treatment and I can't say I would recommend it. Like everything else, it is only a temporary fix and my system was so out of whack. I guess at the time (A little over two years ago.) I wasn't ready for a hysterectomy, but I am now!

No matter what each of us is experiencing, we have to make our own decision and know what is best for ourselves. I understand how you feel. I feel the "second-guessing" is human nature. I am meeting with my surgeon for the first time today and I think the nerves tend to take over what we know is right in our minds.

I have the EXACT same concerns that you asked about regarding menopause, HRT and sex afterward. I am sorry I don't have any answers for you, but hope you find comfort in knowing you are not alone. And we have this wonderful site to ask such questions!

All my best to you!!
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks HShere! I just want to feel better...so tired of feeling awful everyday. I would rather 6 weeks of recovery then years of feeling bad...

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM

(((HUGS))) what you are feeling is perfectly normal, hun. you have two professional opinions that agree, seems to me you are doing the right thing altho the emotional rollercoaster can be rough on us!

I was having serious issues with irratic and heavy periods, pain & bloating, too - my doc figured it was adenomyosis in my case, but found out i also had fibroids growing inside the uterine wall that we didnt know about.

are you looking at having both ovaries taken? or just the one with problems? I got lucky (i think) and got to keep both of mine. if you can keep one it may help with the hormones, but not always.

Ask your doc about HRT and any/all alternatives that may be available to you - they are there to help you.

I'm sorry I cant help you with the sex/menopause questions but i am sure there will be someone along shortly that can help!

good luck with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register