Cervical cancer insitu | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical cancer insitu Cervical cancer insitu

Unread 10-09-2001, 06:35 AM
Cervical cancer insitu

I just found this site yesterday - I posted a message on another forum and was told this might be a better place. You all have been so helpful. I have another question. Can a doctor tell by "looking/poking around, etc" if you have cervical cancer insitu again? I seem to remember 18 months ago when I had it that he could tell. I remember him telling a resident "look here, this is not good, probably 5 spots need to be leeped" so I am thinking last week when I went back again that he may already know. He put me on Metrogel and I see him again on Monday. He said the next option is a hysterectomy, depending on the test results. So I am immediately thinking about the surgery. Last night I started making list of things to clean, presents to buy before the holidays, etc. Am I crazy or what??? don't you think an obgyn who sees this every day would know right away?? maybe I am just guessing.....

thanks for any insight.

Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2001, 06:47 AM
Cervical cancer insitu

I had cervical cancer in '84. It was removed and everything was fine until my last exam. My doctor didn't say anything when he did the pap, but I could tell something was different. It really hurt when he did the pap. That wasn't normal for me. When he did the biopsy in the office, I didn't have any pain with 2 of them but when he went for the third - ouch!!!!! He didn't say anything about the cancer coming back but I did tell him if it was back I wanted a hysterectomy. He said that that would be the best thing for me. Maybe he knew????

I had my LAVH on 8/15/01. It was a piece of cake!!! I feel great. I was even hiking at 2 weeks post-op. Not real hard trails but nice level ones!!!

Good Luck!!!
Unread 10-09-2001, 01:29 PM
Cervical cancer insitu

Hi Melanie, in my experience : I don't think Drs can tell you have carcinoma in situ by just looking/ poking around unless of course you have a fairly large tumour. My gyno could tell there were abnormal cells when he stained the area with iodine. Abnormal cells usually show up as white patches after being stained. When I had my checkup after having the radiation , my oncologist said that he can't tell if there is any abnormality until he stains the area. Maybe this is a question that you could ask on Monday.

I hope all goes well with you on Monday and please do let us know how you get on. Please don't forget that we are here for you always. love to you x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2001, 05:41 PM
I think they know about abnormalities

Like Robyn said, I think that they can tell after staining the area (my doctor just used a vinegar solution) if there are abnormal cells, but I don't think they can tell the severity. The abnormal cells turn a different color.

When I had my colposcopy, my doc also said that he saw two spots that looked like moderate to severe dysplasia. He turned out to be right. I don't think they could tell this from a regular pap, but would have to do the colposcopy (looking at the area through a microscope after staining the cells).

By the way, what is Metrogel?
Unread 10-11-2001, 04:55 PM
Cervical cancer insitu

They use Metrogel to treat vaginal bacterial infections. It's just like Monistat is for yeast infections.
Unread 10-12-2001, 06:25 AM
Cervical cancer insitu

I just wanted to add that I am in agreement with the ladies. I also believe that a colposcopy would be necessary to be certain of any sites on the cervix. It is possible that the first time your doctor was able to see them easily because of their placement or even the degree that they were in. Either way, it's always best to be sure of everything!
If you have other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask any of us here!
Unread 10-12-2001, 06:36 AM
Cervical cancer insitu

Thank you all for responding. I have one more question, actually two! I have noticed occasionally that I have pain in the lower part of my groin area. Hard to pinpoint but it shoots down my legs. Is this common or related to carcinoma insitu? Also - what is the 125 test?
Unread 10-12-2001, 01:55 PM
Cervical cancer insitu

Melanie, I dont think the pain in your leg is related to your carcinoma in situ but I could be wrong. I didnt have it. Maybe this is a question to ask your Dr. The 125 test I dont know much about but I know there are others who have had this done and I am sure they will be along soon. You take good care , much love always x x
Unread 10-15-2001, 09:21 AM
Cervical cancer insitu

I personally did not experience any pain at all before I was diagnosed. I think that is one reason why everything was such a shock to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register