heavy bleeding, 5.5 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

heavy bleeding, 5.5 weeks post-op heavy bleeding, 5.5 weeks post-op

Unread 04-04-2010, 03:39 PM
heavy bleeding, 5.5 weeks post-op

First of all,

I had a DaVinci hysterectomy on 2/24/2010. They left the ovaries but removed the cervix. Over the last few days I've had very heavy bleeding. I had no bleeding or spotting for the first 2 weeks after surgery.

This is gross so if you're squeemish, click yourself outta here.

I practically exploded in the shower this morning - audible "plop" of blood + coagulated blood on the shower floor, probably at least a quarter cup. Totally gross mess. This has been happening to a lesser extent for 24-48 hours every time I sit on the toilet.

Why the heck am I bleeding this much 5.5 weeks out?? Has anyone else had this?

I probably did everything I shouldn't have in the first 3+ weeks - shoveled in the garden (yes, less than one week out, but it felt great). Rode my motorcycle. It all felt fine so I figured I wasn't over-doing it.

I think what may have caused my current bleeding was a few minutes spent on my inversion chair the other day (my spine has been killing me, sometimes hanging upside-down helps). This was my first time on the inversion chair since the surgery and maybe something got stretched too far. It certainly felt good at the time, but then so did shoveling.

This morning I called the on-call doc at the office I go to and she said to stay off my feet and get in to see her partner tomorrow ASAP. If I have another "plop" then she wants me to go to the emergency room today. Almost 6 weeks since my surgery and I still have to stay off my feet!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Re: heavy bleeding, 5.5 weeks post-op

welcome!

Sorry you are having the heavy bleeding , I don't have any advice but I wanted to send a gentle hug your way.

Glad you are going to the doctor tomorrow to have it checked out, I agree it's good to stay off your feet today till you find out what is going on.
Let us know how you are doing and how your doctor appt goes tomorrow. hugs
Unread 04-04-2010, 05:15 PM

I am so glad to hear that you called your doctor today. I definitely would take it easy today and stay off your feet as much as possible. Take care of yourself and hopefully the doc will just find that you overdid it. Sending lots of and prayers for you. I hope everything is ok. Good luck tomorrow at the doctor's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

OK it's been 2 weeks since my post...

Saw my doc after the blood loss incident and he said everything was fine - stitches were dissolving (he showed me a stitch that I had shed). He said no more yard work or anything strenuous for 2 weeks. No "power walking" - he said I could "stroll"

Last week I was in a minor car accident which caused a (very) little bleeding.

Today I went in for my 8-week checkup and I had "proud flesh" or granulation tissue which he treated with silver nitrate. Apparently this is something that just happens to some patients, has nothing to do with my over-doing it.

I get to go back in 2 weeks for yet another checkup because of the tissue. Geez, I thought I was done!
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:56 PM

You are by no means alone. I had an almost identical experience today at 4 weeks post-op. I have a call in to the doc and am headed to the ER (per doc's say so) if I pass another clot. I am really praying that more rest does the fixing instead of a late night ER run. Many blessings to you...
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:22 AM

I had the very same thing, after bleeding heavily for almost 24 hrs my DH rushed me to ER per my Dr's instructions and they did a ultrasound and found something called a Hematoma which was blood clots the size of kiwi's. I had passed so many and bleed so long that I needed to have 4 units of blood transfused back into me. It was such a scary feeling because I felt so weak and nausated. This happen at 1 week post-op I am now 5 1/2 weeks post-op and feel really good and stronger.
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:27 AM

I started bleeding four weeks out. I am on blood thinners, and after being rushed back in for emergency surgery they found a spot inside that looked as though a scab had come off. They said for a normal patient it MIGHT have caused spotting, but for me it nearly cost me my life as I was bleeding out (it took me bleeding for over a week before the doc did anything about it). I am glad you got checked out. Bleeding is NOTHING TO MESS WITH.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register