Seroma in Vaginal Cuff Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seroma in Vaginal Cuff Question Seroma in Vaginal Cuff Question

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Seroma in Vaginal Cuff Question

I had an odd situation to make things short and sweet here are the main details:

I had a scheduled laproscopic tubal ligation surgery scheduled for March 9, 2010. I went in, was prepped, taken to surgery and when I woke up in recovery most all I can remember is just severe pain where the fallopian tubes were cut on either side. I was told I had already gotten as much pain medicine as I could get at that time. The rest of my time in recovery is sketchy for me, but next thing I remember is being dressed by my husband and a nurse and getting ready to be discharged. I was completely ready to go home other than having my IV taken out and signing my discharge papers. I felt a big gush of blood vaginally and told my husband to get my nurse. They pulled off my pants to find me completely covered in blood. A few minutes later as they were calling my surgeon I passed a basketball sized blood clot. I can remember a few details of my doctor coming in and literally scooping out handfuls of blood clots. At this point I was finally given more pain medicine and told we had to go back into surgery - my doctor was going to attempt an ablation and D & C to try to stop my bleeding. I remember nothing until I got into the OR and was put back to sleep. The doctor attempted the D&C and ablation and it actually made my bleeding worse. He said there were actually pieces of muscle tissue from the uterus coming out. He had to do a hysterectomy to keep me from bleeding to death. I was given 2 blood transfusions as well. No one still knows why this happened with such a routine surgery. I developed a seroma under my incision and had to have stitches put in after my staples were taken out because my incision would not close up. After the stitches were removed the seroma continued to drain and has now almost completely healed... but now I have developed another seroma on the vaginal cuff. It is very tender but recently it has gotten somewhat more painful when I urinate and I feel like I have to go all the time even right after I have just gone. I am planning to call my doctor tomorrow once his office opens from the weekend but wondered if anyone else had pain and discomfort like this with a vaginal cuff seroma?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Re: Seroma in Vaginal Cuff Question

You poor thing. I don't have any Seroma experience but I could not stop myself from responding. My TAH / BSO was also emergency surgery due to hemorrhaging 10 months after a failed ablation. Please take it real easy for the entire recovery period even after you feel better

Sending you lots of hugs! Patty
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM

~*Sending you lotsa hugs as well*~

I too, have pain/pressure in the vaginal cuff area... What did your Dr say? Good luck to you and remember to treat yourself like a princess, as you should be treated

~*more hugs*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Maryagraves -

If there aren't any members currently posting with seromas you can use the search feature to look for past threads from members on seromas.

I hope the doctor gets things sorted out so you can get on the road to full healing and recovery.

G.
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM

Thank you to everyone who had such sweet things to say. Here's what has happened.... I had called yesterday morning to ask my doctor about the pain/discomfort I was having with the bladder. I had to leave a message cause he had surgery scheduled all day. Well before I got called back I started hemorrhaging AGAIN! I got my mother to come to my house to watch my kids and texted my husband to meet me at the ER and drove myself to the hospital. On the way to the hospital I called the doctor's office and told them what was happening and they called him in the OR to let him know and had me just go to admitting in the women's hospital here. He called me from the OR asked a few questions and pretty much determined it was all being caused by the seroma that is on the vaginal cuff. He direct admitted me to the hospital and when he finished his surgeries came to see me. He went ahead and did surgery to open and completely drain the seroma and put in all new sutures in all the layers on the side of the vaginal cuff where the seroma had been causing all the problems. I got to go home about an hour and a half after the surgery was over. I'm a bit sore from the surgery of course but honestly, my pain/discomfort I was having is practically gone. So hopefully this will be the LAST setback in my recovery! Thanks again for all the well wishes and sweet comments!
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:10 PM

and hope this sets you on the way to full recovery.

G.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM

((HUGS)) I can not imagine everything that you have gone through. I hope this will be your last setback and you are on your way to a complete recovery.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Sending you hugs and prayers!
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Hi, How did you know you had a seroma on the vaginal cuff?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register