AIS - Further treatment now or later? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

AIS - Further treatment now or later? AIS - Further treatment now or later?

Unread 04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
AIS - Further treatment now or later?

I had an AGCUS colposcopy HGSIL cervical cone with laser. Diagnosis is AIS. so it is not truly a cancer yet, with negative margins. My gyne is oncology certified. I go for my post op appt on Friday. He says margins are clear, don't need to do anything more. I also talked to a gyne onc where I work, ( i work in surgery at a university hospital) She read my pathology report and said I should have simple vag or LVTAH soon. Even tho she says it is not cancer at this point because of my age 59 I should just go ahead an be safe and have a hysterectomy. If I were younger and desired fertility they would try and save the uterus. I think I am resigned to the hyster even tho I really don't want it , but I am trying to wait a year because I also need a total hip replacement and I am in a lot of pain. The gyne onc says I can wait a year, but I have to have a pap and ECC every three months. I've had normal paps for 37 years, one ascus 2 years ago and 1 agcus this year. How accurate are paps? I was shocked. Sorry to run on like this, but has anyone experienced this? I also had two normal paps between the ascus and agcus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Re: AIS - Further treatment now or later?

(((Vena)))

You can always get (yet) another opinion regarding waiting a year or so for the hyst. Needing the other surgery certainly complicates things a bit, but being in a lot of pain isn't good for you, either.

Your story actually sounds fairly typical for an adenocarcinoma diagnosis. It does seem to be more of an "out of the blue" kind of thing than that of the squamous cell type. Kudos to you for keeping up with your paps as it allowed you to catch this early when it is indeed most treatable!

Hang in there!
monami
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM

I personally think paps are hit & miss. The important part of the 3 month check is the exam and visual. My gyne told me that even though they could see the polyp on my cervix, I could get a clear pap result if the scraping was from a different area.

In my opinion, considering the recent results, I would make sure you stick with the 3 month check ups (I know it isn't any fun, but ya gotta do it!) and decide on the hyster after your hip replacement. Too bad they couldn't do both at the same time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 05:03 PM

Monami, Looks like you've had your share of this disease. I have my follow up appointment tomorow and so I'll see what my doc says. I trust him, he's been in practice a long time and I will go by what he says, but i am torn between wanting everything taken out and no wanting everything out. It is so difficult to lose this part of me, I'm sure everyone on this site understands this. I know some women are so glad to just have it out, why can't i be like that!! Maybe someday.
Vena
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Vega,
thanks. I will definitely stick with the three month checks, no way would i miss it, except every time now I will worry if it is back or if it was missed.
Thanks so much for your support.
Vena
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Hi-dx what also totally out of the blue. Unfot. my AIS cone showed positive margins so hysterectomy was indicated. I am 46 and it was hard for me to accept this was my fate but truthfully the surgery was not difficult and after only a few weeks I felt like myself again. I think AIS is tricky and not well understood. There is the really possibility of advancing to invasive disease and I think it's just not worth the risk. Of course your prior surgery makes the decision harder. I would recommend finding an excellent surgeon who does this surgery several times a week. I had zero complications and I really credit the skill of my surgeon. Best of luck.
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:58 AM

Hi all, thanks for your support. Had my 6 week check up yesterday and asked doctor about the hysterectomy. He acknowledged possibility of skip lesions, but said he did a very deep and wide excision and preferred to just wait and see before hysterectomy. I will have my first pap ecc in 6 weeks with a hpv test. I guess I will see what happens after that. i have resigned myself to the hysterectomy to be on the safe side. this surgeon is very skilled, i worked with him for many years as an OR nurse,so i trust him. i'm kind of surprised that he is hesitant to do a hyster cause in the past it seems like we did several of these a day. At this point I guess I am at the wait and see stage. I do see the ortho guy in 2 weeks, and will probably go ahead with the hip replacement first if it is indicated.
Thanks again everyone, you have been very helpful and supportive.
Vena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register