Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis) Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis)

Unread 04-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis)

I am scheduled for a full hyster May 18th. I am 39yrs old and the Dr said I do not need HRT if I do okay with out it. I has seen a few Dr's before having a hyster and all of them said I would definitely be on it due to bone loss.

I am lost and need all of your advice and wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM
Re: Confused about HRT????

Hi, Reyne!

Conflicting input from doctors makes it all the more confusing, doesn't it?

I checked back through some of your posts and found that you're dealing with endometriosis, so that complicates the hormone therapy issue. As you probably know, having a hysterectomy with or without the removal of the ovaries isn't a cure for endometriosis. Some doctors are okay with prescribing hormones for women with endometriosis immediately after surgery but others prefer to wait in the hopes of "starving" the endometriosis which is fed by estrogen. Some will prescribe a combination of estrogen and progesterone (or progestin) because progesterone can counteract the effect of estrogen on endometriosis.

You'll definitely want to discuss the risks of using it versus not using it as it applies to your situation. Hopefully you'll get some input from others who have had to make the same decision.

P. S. - Now that you have your surgery date, please take a moment to add it to your profile using this link: Edit Profile. Having the date there will let us know at a glance where you are in the hysterectomy time line and it will give you access to the Post-Op message board after you have had your surgery.
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Re: Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis)

Hi, You and I are close in age. I wish you well in your surgery. This website has helped me so much since my surgery 4 mos. ago. When our ovaries are removed, the body goes through very major adjustments. As my changes were happening and I was scared, I asked questions on here. I am getting better every day. I did choose to go on HRT. I try to learn as much as possible about HRT and all the options, that way I can be empowered and make decisions along with my Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2010, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the replies! Everyone here is so wonderful and full of info and experience.... I am tearing up! Everything is so confusing and so different this has been a long road for me, my husband and family. Not because I am loosing my "female anatomy" but the physical pain I have suffered for so long.

Thank-you for the support!
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi.
I don't have any answers as I'm in the same boat. What my surgeon suggested though is that I wait a few months (as the pp said) to starve off remaining endo lesions that cannot be removed/or are microscopic during surgery.

At first I decided I wasn't going to pursue any HRT at risk of feeding any endo....but then again being so young (im 34), I don't wait to be at risk for heart disease/osteoporsis.
On top of it all, my mother had BC at 36...and while all docs think her case was rare and not indicative of being genetic...it's still another factor for me to weigh in the whole HRT decision.

If I gain any more insight or info, I'll be back to pass it on.
Best wishes for an easy recovery!
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:51 PM

The information is so helpful. I am 35 yrs old and had a full hyst. a month ago. I am doing AWFUL. I can't sleep, the hot flashes are killing me, sex is painful, I am depressed (which may be caused by my lack of sleep) and I feel "foggy". Honestly, I wish I never did it. I had such bad endo. that they are nervous about putting me on HRT.It was in my ovaries and on other organs it was so bad.
Does anyone know what happens if it comes back? What can they do to get rid of endo? How fast would these symptoms disappear if I start HRT. I have a 3.5 yr old girl I am missing out on her life. I can't keep going on like this! Any help would be so helpful.
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:33 PM

I had a TAH due to severe endometriosis, and my gynecologist had me wait 3 months befor starting HRT. It is confusing, but I had to get on the HRT because I just felt too bad without it. Balancing the HRT has been tricky for me. I would say listen to your body and do research.
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:04 PM

I had my hysterectomy March 23. The doctor was not able to put me on HRT due to endo. He said that my endo cells would have to shrink because it is fed by the estrogen my body produces and if we started the HRT now it would defeat the purpose of the hyster. I'm 4 weeks post op and this is the best I have felt, for once in my life I am pain free, but wish we could hurry and start the HRT since the hot flashes and mood swings are almost unbearable
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM

I had my hyst just over a year ago. I also struggle with endo. I am not taking ny hrt, but my DR is being very aware of my bone density as well as my heart health. I have had my bone density checked and it is great. My heart is doing fine aside from the high blood pressure that I had even before my surgery. The hot flashes and mood swings for me have been tolerable. I am already having some of the same familiar endo pain even without ovaries or hrt, so just be aware that a hysterectomy is NOT a cure for endo. I am looking at having more endo excised in a couple of months after I have time to recover from a kidney stone surgery I am having on May 11. I wish you all the best!
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Smile - Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis) Re: Confused about HRT???? (endometriosis)

LAVH/BSO 3/9/10.: My doctor did not plan to remove my ovaries but did when she discovered the endo on them. She put me right on HRT the day after the surgery. I wondered about this, but am glad I've learned that it seems to be a difference of opinion among the docs and the patients' individual situations.

My situation is that I already have bone thinning (at 47, pre-menopause) and I just can't handle any more stress in my life. I feel like I'm on a much more even keel now, and am not experiencing any pelvic pain except surgical recovery twinges. Because of all of this, I am glad for her decision.

But, if I change my mind, I can discontinue HRT (or modify it) with her help and advice, which I'm sure you would be able to do too.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register