What to bring? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to bring? What to bring?

Unread 04-16-2010, 05:16 AM
What to bring?

I have never stayed over night in the hospital. What can or did you bring to make your short stay more tolerable? What did you wear home? Do you take shampoo, robe, PJ's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Re: What to bring?

Try not to be afraid. Just remember that you are doing this for very good reason. Looking forward to not living in pain helped me stay calm before the surgery, which was also my first surgery.

I packed a small gym bag with a comfy cotton robe for the couple of walks I did once my IV and catheter were out. It also came in handy once I was home. I took a brush, headband, shampoo, cond., shower gel, toothbrush and paste, lotion, and chapstick. I also took along several pair of granny panties, a couple bras, socks, and rubber sole slide-in slippers.

I brought a magazine and book that I never touched.

I wore home the same "outfit" I have been living in since I've been home to wear home from the hospital, which is cotton stretchy, drawstring capri yoga pants and cotton tops. I am still wearing these at three weeks out because of afternoon swelly belly that seems to be exacterbated by anything with a waisteband.

I hope this helps! Good luck!!! You did not come to this decision easily and will be feeling so much better in the long term. Take care of yourself.
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:22 AM

I was told in advance to bring only the bare essentials to the hospital. I wore the same outfit to and from and they supplied a tooth brush and toothpaste. I showered at home the morning of my surgery and then again the next morning after I got home. I brought one pair of underwear (they give you mesh panties to wear while you are there), a brush and small mirror, lip gloss and moisturizer, cell phone and charger. That's it. They told me not to bring a robe or nightgown - they put 2 of theirs on me - one frontwards and the other backwards so there was nothing exposed. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM

I brought all of my current medications...asthma, allergies, etc. gas x, a few snacks that I thought I would like in between moments of possible nausea. I also brought socks, underwear (they never gave me mesh ones) I brought my own slipper socks, a body pillow, a towel (they actually provided several towels when i was ready to shower) shower items such as shower gel, loofah, shampoo plus conditioner. I didn't stay in the shower long. It was just enough to freshen myself up so that once I did get home I could just relax. I brought my own heating pad but they wouldn't let me use it because of a "fire hazard". They had these air heating pads that were sortive ok.
So I suppose I would have to say my items used most were body pillow, shower items, extra underwear, socks, snacks (hubby consumed) extra meds, chapstick. I was too out of it to even think about reading. I tried to send a text to my friend and couldn't even see the screen my vision was soo blurred. I did have my cell phone charger but I dont recall using it.
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:49 AM

I wasn't sure if I was staying one night or two. So I took chapstick, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, halls, toothpaste, toothbrush, couple pairs of panties, slippers, a brush, a book, pj pants, cell phone and charger, and a couple pillows.

I used my toothbrush and toothpaste, brush, chapstick, halls and pillows. You can't focus only staying overnight to read. Chapstick and halls were a MUST. Lips and mouth so dry. Halls helped keep me from coughing so much. I didn't have the mesh panties, but laying in bed I had the pad just between my legs, didn't even spot that much. Figured keeping panties off until I went home would be more comfortable.

Good luck to you. See you on the other side.
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:52 AM

The only things I ended up using were gas x, chap stick, tooth brush and paste, and my cell phone. I was way too tired to worry about anything that wasn't essential. There was no way I was with it enough to read. The hard candy just made my mouth feel more dry and you really won't be in the mood for entertainment.
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:29 AM

I spent 24 hours in the hospital and brought more than what I used.

I wore a comfy dress to the hospital and came home in the same thing (plus a clean set of undies). I wore my robe and slippers, using their gowns and mesh panties. I took my toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, moisturizer, chapstick, cell phone and ipod.

I took but didn't need
  • nightgowns - the hospital's were fine and covered me (2 front and back). Plus the nurse was very good about getting me clean ones after showering.
  • undies - I brought 3 pair, but only needed the one to wear on the way home, which I really didn't need to do. I could have stayed in the mesh panties.
  • book and magazine - I slept most of the time.
  • shampoo and conditioner - I had showered and washed that morning; washing my hair wasn't necessary.

I didn't do much there. I walked up and down the hall (with nurse watching and helping) and took a quick shower to freshen up. Other than that I slept and listened to my music.
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:22 PM

I was at the castle for about 36 hours.

Before I went in I washed and flatironed my hair so it would be fine for about 5 days and I showered the morning I went in.

I wore a lounging dress, my bathrobe and slippers to/from the castle (I had to be there at 5:30am and figured that being a fashion plate upon exiting wasn't necessary).

While there I wore their gown with another put on 'robe style' when I went for walks. Undies to/from castle and nothing during my stay except a pad wedged in between my legs. You won't be wearing panties in the castle as they need to check stuff (incisions, catheter, spotting) occasionally.

I took and used: chapstick (lips were a mess from whatever they used in surgery), cough drops, ear plugs (I had extra and gave to my roomie - we had a screamer on the floor I was on), a book, a notebook & pen (kept track of nursing staff's names, dr's notes, what I ate and when I walked), hairbrush.

I didn't take my phone as I wasn't going to be there that long and most of the time I had either DH or my mom with me.
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:12 PM

I would caution against bringing your own meds unless other wise specified. The hospitals in my area are required to hold any of your meds you want to take while there and the nurse gives it to you. This is for safety and accountability reasons. Even if the meds are over the counter, they would frown on you taking it.

Just ask if you may bring your own before doing so.
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:36 PM

In the UK we have to stay in the hospital much longer

I have to be at the castle at 6pm on Monday, surgery will be first thing on Tuesday and I may not go home until Friday or Saturday!!

My bag so far......

Pj's x 3
undies x 6
robe
rubber sole slip on slippers
towel, facecloth, toiletries, straighteners (lol!), hairbrush
antibacterial wet wipes, tissues, chap stick, small bottles mineral water
book and mags
iPhone and charger, headphones, DH bringing lap top if needed
current meds (as advised by hospital)

Still keep thinking I am missing something

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register