Scheduled TAH Diet prior to surgery- TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diet prior to surgery- TAH/BSO Diet prior to surgery- TAH/BSO

Unread 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Diet prior to surgery- TAH/BSO

Friday the 23rd is the big day! My doctor has not recommended any diet restrictions, etc. before the surgery. However, my research on the internet indicates that many patients avoid certain foods the week before. I know that I can't have anything after midnight, the night before- just wondering if certain foods are not recommended.

Any recommendations from my hystersisters?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Re: Diet prior to surgery- TAH/BSO

i do recommend high fiber stuff the day before. I think I read that on here somewhere! and maybe even taking metamucil once a day for a couple days before; i did not have to do a bowel cleanse and so all the fiber helped things get moving again when my bowels woke up!

And stay well hydrated!!!!!!!! that is most important! Drink like a fish (water) up until you can't have anything to eat or drink!

I don't recall ever seeing anything that should be avoided however if you know something constipates you then I would avoid it!

Sue
lavh/bso
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM

I must say, for daily fiber, I am enjoying those Fiberone bars. I've had several of the Oats and Chocolate ones, but bought some different flavors this weekend.

one is Peanut butter and the other is Caramel.

A piece of advice when increasing your fiber intake: you MUST increase your water.
Fiber adds bulk to your stool. But will constipate you if you don't hydrate.

With all the GI involvement suspected of my endo, I have to be careful or my discomfort is greatly increased.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM

My surgery was the day after Christmas, and I was really concerned about whether I would be able to enjoy Christmas dinner. When I had my pre-registration phone call with the hospital, I was told to avoid spicy, heavy, and greasy foods the day before but that I could otherwise eat normally.
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM

I am having TAH, my instructions are in writing: 3 DAYS OF LIQUID DIET

Lucky I have plenty of reserves Hope to loose some weight in the process.
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM

i had TAH/BSO on 3/12 - doc said i could eat whatever i wanted - but i did fiber cereal for a week before and did clear liquid the day before, until midnight - doc said i didn't have to , but that it was ok.
So- after surgery I had no issues - was able to "go" post op day 3 ( still in hopsital) and haven't had any real issues since.
As noted by others - drink a ton of water/ gatorade/ etc -
I like the Fiber One bars too, but they don't like me - if I eat one I painfullly gurgle for a whole day -ouch.
I did , post op, take a metamucil capsule ( 3g fiber) every other day. that seemed to help. Post op first 4-5 days i did a lot of jello, soup, etc.

best of luck to you
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Good to know about the fibre. I have some Raisin Bran cereal just sitting in my pantry waiting to be eaten. Lately I've been eating a lot of raisins...they are also loaded with iron.

I think I read somewhere on here that garlic should be avoided one or two weeks before surgery, because it thins the blood.

I was wondering, is a bowel prep or liquid diet standard with most surgeries? My doctor did not give me any instructions, other than no food or water after midnight the day of surgery. I'm hypoglycemic and weigh only 105lbs, so I'm really worried about starving myself for such a prolonged amount of time. Any advice?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register