Scheduled dVH/RALH 3 days with help, is this realistic??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days with help, is this realistic??? 3 days with help, is this realistic???

Unread 04-21-2010, 07:57 PM
3 days with help, is this realistic???

I am scheduled to have a davinci hysterectomy Friday, May 7 and I hope to have only my uterus removed. My hubby will take that Friday off and will be at home with me Sat. and Sun. I will be on my own after that, but he will be able to come home from work twice a day to check on me. (We only live about 5 miles from his office) Is this a realistic plan for us? I am hoping that someone has had a similar experience or can tell me if I am shooting for independance too soon. I will certainly be able to rest, but I am concerned about getting up and down to go to the restroom for that first week. Can anyone share their recovery plan with me once they got home? Thanks a million!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Re: 3 days with help, is this realistic???

Good question. I hope you get replies.
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM

I had a LAVH a month ago. I live alone, boyfriend is long distance. I also had a hysterectomy on a Friday, and my sister went home the Monday morning after. I found myself to be reasonably mobile, even the day after surgery - I never needed assistance to get to the restroom. It was just nice to have her around for the company and to cook some meals for me for the following week. Everybody is different, but particulary if you're surgery is laparoscopic, I would think that plan is realistic, especially since your hubby will be nearby for any emergencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2010, 08:46 PM

natalie - i can only tell you my experience with the davinci surgery - had the surgery on friday, home on saturday, and other than needing to sleep a lot the first night at home cause i did not get any in the hospital i did really well. no pain meds after sunday, minimal spotting and just needed to rest a lot. now i know i had it easier than some and your experience may differ but i felt comfortable being alone most of the time even the first week. of course i PREFER to be alone when i do not feel great
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM

i think you should be okay. just plan to have everything you need around you so you dont have to get up and search for anything. and just plan on relaxing in one place. maybe have some snacks near and the phone with you. and all your meds, and dont forget the tv remote. i was up and around by day 3 by myself.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM

My experience is a TVH and later daVinci BSO. With both, I had no one at home, didn't need anyone. I got up and down, did stairs, microwaved food, showered---no problems requiring a helper. I think you'll be fine. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM

I had daVinci total on Thursday came home Friday. Hubs went back to work Monday. He would help me down the stairs before he left and made sure I have everything I needed on a small table next to the couch. It worked fine for me. The hardest part for me was sitting up out of bed and that only was for a few days. Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM

I had the Da Vinci with EVERYTHING removed on Tues the 13th. My hubby took three days off (the day of surgery, day after, and the next day.) He went back to work on the fourth day. I was totally fine. In fact on the 3rd day post op I could've driven had I not had tylenol 3 in my system. I went out for coffee with a friend (she picked me up). I showerd myself in the hospital and was able to dress myself, etc. So, yeah, I would think you would be fine. ;-) Good luck
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Hi nataliedw

If your husband is able to come home a couple times a day to check on you, I would think you'll be okay. It's important that you are able to get yourself to and from the bathroom and remember to take your medications on schedule. To make it a bit easier for you, perhaps he could pack a cooler and picnic basket to keep in your recovery area so you don't even have to go to the kitchen for food.

We have an article in our Post-op Resources page that you might find helpful as well. If you scroll down, toward the bottom of the page, you'll find an article called "Recovering From Hysterectomy While Living Alone." There are some wonderful tips there that might be useful to you.

I'm glad you found us before your surgery!
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful advice everyone! You have made us both feel a lot better about our plan.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register