Scheduled LAVH Questions, Concerns, Freaking out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions, Concerns, Freaking out Questions, Concerns, Freaking out

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Questions, Concerns, Freaking out

As LAVH gets nearer, I have more and more questions and concerns and little rediculous stuff bothering me that shouldn't.

I had an ablation in March and it didn't help. At my follow up the doctor suggested LAVH and after thinking about it a few days we scheduled for May 13th. All the doctor has told me is he will do the hysterectomy and take out cervix and uterus. The only reason I know it's called LAVH is from my insurance "pre-auth" form I recieved.

I'm wondering if my doctor is a good choice for me? The HTA was a total failure...was it because of the doctor and his abilities or it just did work? Should I trust him to do the LAVH?

I will not see my doctor again until the day before surgery...is that normal? I have 2 pages of questions. Is it ok to call and ask for an appt now to go over my questions and also on the day before my surgery?

I usually have things together and very organized and do all the planning for our family. I like to have control of situations. My husband and 2 teenagers know how to do laundry, clean and don't mind doing chores. I'm just nervous they aren't going to do it when I would & how I would. And doesn't that just sound rediculous? Why am I worring about that?

I'm ready for the waiting to end. I had no idea the waiting would effect me like it has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Re: Questions, Concerns, Freaking out

If you are questioning your decision to have this procedure, then I would really advise you to call your DR and get an appointment before your pre-op. Also, just because the ablation did not work as expected does not mean that your DR is not a good DR or the right one for you. Sometimes these things just don't work. And the nerves about the procedure, the house, your husband and kids are totally normal. I went through much of the same before my TVH/BSO. I hope this helps. Please know that we are always here to help.
Unread 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Ollie -

It sounds like you have a lot more doubts and questions than just pre-surgery jitters.

With 2 pages of questions you should definitely call your Dr. and set up a meeting to review them. Also have you had a 2nd opinion? Since this is usually an elective surgery you don't want to have doubts that will make you second guess your decision if things go less than absolutely perfectly.

Your worries about the house are normal and you just have to find a way to deal with those.

Check out the Pre-Op forum (above on the menu bar) and look at the articles. Also check out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints .

You can look at the calendar of events on the right side of the screen and see if a pre-op chat will happen before your surgery date. Many members have found these to be helpful.

G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2010, 06:48 AM

My doctor told me at the end of Febuary that I needed to have a LAVH and someone from her office would call and schedule the surgery. My surgery ended up being March 29 so I had a month to go from that point. I didn’t talk to my doctor again until the morning of the surgery when she came in to see me right before surgery. I did, however, prepare a list of questions and I called and talked to the girl in her office who scheduled my surgery….actually, I called her A LOT! Probably at least once and sometimes twice a week. Could you call your doctor’s office and even ask for a nurse who may be able to answer your questions? However, if it makes you feel better to talk to the doctor, have them tell your doctor to call you or schedule an appointment with your doctor to have her answer your questions.

I will tell you, at least for me, the waiting for the surgery day to come was WAY worse than the actual surgery and recovery. Hang in there. I’m 4 weeks out now and feel really good. I’m doing most my normal activity except not exercising and not lifting anything heavy.
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:55 AM

I agree with Bookfan 123. I constantly think of questions and my oncologist has a nurse at his office who I talk to almost every day. She has been wonderful! Patient, Caring, Supportive. Maybe your doctor has someone similiar at his/her office. I hope so!
Unread 04-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah, my gyn nurse and I almost recognize voices. I recognize hers, anyway.

But she's been great. It's good to write your questions down, as you have, because you want to be thorough, and if you're anything like me, you might forget something. What's good about calling gyn nurse is that she's probably answered these questions before, and can give you an answer with confidence that the doctor endorsed. If she's good, the ones she doesn't know she can communicate to the doctor and return your call.

Good luck and many blessings.
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:00 PM

I emailed my doctor with questions, and he replied. If you don't feel good about your surgery, don't do it.
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:01 PM

My doctor called me the night before to see if I had any questions, I thought that was great!
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM

i didn't know my dr's office was supposed to schedule me a pre-op to go over questions, until i was such a wreck that i made a appt to go in and talk to him... he felt so bad that i didn't know i COULD see him and ask my page of questions... it was really nice to have that sit down and plan for the future... i'm 4 weeks post-op and the waiting time is definitely the hardest... the recovery is much easier compared to all the "what-if's"...
good luck and take care...
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:47 PM

I was also on a first name basis with the nurse. I worried about the house stuff but it all turned out fine. House is clean, laundry done right and my dog and 3 cats even handled dad taking care of them.

The waiting is the worst part. I'm 8 weeks post op and feel like a new woman.

Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register