Incisional hernia repair with mesh. What next? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incisional hernia repair with mesh. What next? Incisional hernia repair with mesh. What next?

Unread 04-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Incisional hernia repair with mesh. What next?

About 6 months after my SAH I was diagnosed with a small incisional hernia and I went in for an open repair with mesh.

When the surgeon opened the hysterectomy incision he discovered that it was pulling apart in several locations and decided to repair the whole thing; all eight inches plus a bit above my navel. As I understand it, I have a layer of mesh imbedded between muscle layers and one on top.

Overall, the surgery and recovery have been uneventful. The incision has been a bit more uncomfortable than it was with the hysterectomy, but aside from occasional crampy-kinds of feelings and the occasional sharp tug (which has decreased quite a bit the seven weeks since my surgery) it's been OK.

I'm pretty comfortable with the mesh aspect of the repair; I explained to the surgeon that I am pretty active and lift a lot of heavy things during the course of my day, and he felt this particular avenue of approach was appropriate. Still, he also said that there is always a risk of hernias reoccuring and this keeps me up nights sometimes. When I had the hysterectomy it was my intention that it would be my first and last surgery. Then, I found myself 8 months later (almost to the day) having another surgery. The idea of surgery, strangely enough, doesn't bother me but the inactivity is almost unbearable. I'm afraid I'll go NUTS if I have to do it again!

So here I am... every little tweak and ache makes me fear another hernia. And now for the questions... how long has it taken others to get past the aches and pains post-hernia surgery, and when will this absolutely HORRID swelly belly go away???? I thought it was bad when I had the hysterectomy, but the swelling this time makes the previous event seem practically non-existent. The surgeon told me as far as the discomfort and swelling is concerned that I'm still healing, but I'd like to hear a little first-hand experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Re: Incisional hernia repair with mesh. What next?

Hi, maybe we can help each other out. I don't have prior experience with hernia repair -- I'm getting ready to go through it. But maybe some of the other gals will see this and share their wisdom with both of us.

My situation is this -- I have been "lopsided" for quite awhile since my TAH/LSO (with prior RSO) in June '08. (I stupidly did not refuse to lift heavy stuff at the job I was at too soon after my surgery -- and I think I looked good early on and my doc gave me too broad a permission to resume all activities -- not blaming him, but just saying it might have been mistaken).

Anyway, I was getting upset about the lopsidedness with my left side of my abdomen sticking out, which was getting worse (I've also, sadly, gained about 30 lbs. in these 2 years). Felt like OK, if doctor says I'm just fat and lopsided, I will accept that. But it really is a hernia. I see the surgeon on the 10th.

I can relate to how you feel about not expecting to have more surgery, and anxieties about how it will turn out. I sure hope you get permanent relief. It's hard not to worry but we can try. I remember so many things I've worried about and they usually don't match my fearful scenarios. Quite a few have turned out better than I would have expected, and those that don't, I've coped with with the help of God, friends, and family, and support like here on this website.

Soo...keep posting -- it will be a good outlet for worries and a good source of information too.
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Hi Ladies,

I can relate to having more surgeries... I had a hysterectomy and reconstruction to my pelvic organs March of last year (2009) and 8-1/2 months later, complications with my bowels, and I had to have another major surgery - a colon resection(Dec. 2009) This was a vertical incision from belly button down to pubic bone.

Now I just found out that my first surgery became "undone" from complications of my 2nd surgery! I'm going back for a 4 hour repair in July! (not to mention I had 2 foot surgeries during the past yr as well!)

Anyway, 21 yrs ago, I had a tummy tuck, and I have always had a nice flat tummy - even when I gained weight. Since my surgery in December- my stomach is so puffy and fat looking - hate it! At times it does look lopsided too... I can see an indentation and I'm very concerned that I may have or will get an incisional hernia, how do you know? When I lay down and raise my head like a small sit-up, I do feel a couple little marble protrusions..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Well, my hernia is a larger, more diffuse thing, which was what confused me at first. It's sort of like I have one of those Junior size Nerf footballs horizontally on the lower left side of my tummy

When I checked in medical books I saw pictures of hernias that were smaller and more unmistakable as hernias, and I almost didn't go to the doctor. Then I got disgusted about the bulge and just went on a whim, not expecting to really have my suspicions validated. However, a couple days before my appointment, my aunt was visiting and as soon as she saw it she said "You've got a hernia!"

I haven't had a truly flat tummy without effort since I was about 8 years old. I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which makes one prone to abdominal weight gain. Times in my life that I crash-dieted (and unknowingly was worsening my metabolic situation) were the only times I had a sort of flat tummy. The last time was in my 20s. My weight's been climbing since my 30s thanks to the insulin resistance and being on antidepressants (and, yes, eating too much and not exercising enough, which I hope to change).

Some of the stories of multiple surgeries people have had are scary, but I'm trying to be positive and hopeful. I'm going to really watch what I eat and try to exercise and de-stress from now until surgery time, and to really take good care of myself afterward, learn from my mistakes, etc.

Best to everyone!
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:11 AM

I had my final post-surgical followup appointment today and I asked about the pulling sensation. The surgeon explained that I have a very large mesh patch across my abdomen (several inches all the way around the borders of my 8" plus long incision) held down with lots of little stitches, and the pulling sensations are from those stitches. I still have discomfort when sitting up using my abs, and was told to give things a good three months more to get better.

Since I didn't even THINK about having a hernia, the half-a-golfball-sized lump just to the left of my incision didn't really raise any concern. I thought it was part of the healing process. It was undetectable when lying on my back but noticable when I sat or stood upright. I didn't realize that it would pop up until I went to the doctor and, while I was lying on the exam table, he asked me to rise up just a little bit. Suddenly, the lump that was visible only when standing was poking up above my stomach muscles.

For me, the hernia repair surgery was a lot easier in many ways than the hysterectomy, probably due in large part with the fact that I knew more of what to expect. For me, the very worst part has been the activity limitations.
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:58 PM

I know. I'm so gonna hate activity restrictions -- and with a house in foreclosure and a possible move in that timeframe -- say a prayer for me that moving can be prevented or at least stalled as long as possible!

Going to ask the surgeon if afterward I should/could have physical therapy -- saw something on a website about having PT after hernia repair being a good idea. I'm on state medical assistance though, so dunno if they'll pay for it but doesn't hurt to ask.

It would be so great to have help exercising with someone knowledgeable about how to do it safely, plus a commitment to appointments to make sure I do it, and then suggestions for how to segue into exercising on my own later.

Determined to get that flat tummy if I can!
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Best wishes sent your way that the timing of everything works out!!!

PT... what an awesome idea! I never thought of that, though I DID ponder what to ask about exercise. Never asked though because I guess I was a bit taken aback by the three month thing!

Have you gotten a surgery date yet? I'd be interested to hear how your doctor will be repairing your hernia. My surgeon wanted to do the open abdominal method right off the bat because, aside from already having a scar in the right place, he wanted to visually check the entire incision line. I guess I was kind of expecting a lap procedure.
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM

Ooh, now you're scaring me -- I am hoping for laparoscopic too, but have a feeling it could go either way...sigh...well, if it works, I guess that's what counts.

I go see the surgeon this Monday so I'll post what he says as soon as I can. Carefully mowed my lawn tonight because it's supposed to rain tomorrow -- figured just once before I see the surgeon and I'll have more time to find a lawn-mowing volunteer, perhaps through my church. My darn grass grows so fast! If I hadn't mowed, it would be a jungle after more rain!

Pushing the mower wasn't too bad; the more annoying thing was when the handle would bump my tender tummy. It helped me to realize, though, how long this has been going on. Namely, as long as I've been doing things post-hysterectomy that I shouldn't have been doing. It's hard to gauge it when it's your first abdominal surgery. I thought they were just "twinges." Live and learn...
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:01 PM

Don't be scared! Overall, I found this surgery a LOT easier than the hysterectomy, mesh stitching and all! There wasn't the messing-around with my innards (although for some reason I had more gas problems with this surgery than with the hysterectomy.) Quite honestly, after the surgeon explained why he wanted to go open incision (to inspect the entire incision site) I felt pretty good about it. And if you need someone to talk to, I'd be happy to listen

I can SO relate to it being hard to gauge what is "too much" with your first surgery. I feel that I followed the restrictions pretty darned closely, and after six weeks I was given the ok to gradually resume normal activity. Well, I did what felt OK and don't remember doing anything that caused pain. Maybe the occasional "twinge" like you mentioned, but nothing alarming. It's not that I don't want to ask for help, it's that I don't THINK about it.
Unread 05-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks – I’m trying not to be too scared. Anesthesia is always a bit of a nail-biter but usually after they give me what my friend calls “happy juice” beforehand, I’m OK. I also get homesick being away from my pet rabbits! But there again, I have a friend who also has a rabbit who can take good care of them for me. We’ll see what the doctor says. My neighbor had it done, I just found out this morning, laparoscopically with mesh, though, so maybe I’ll get lucky on that.

I’d rather it be thorough if there’s any doubt. Then hopefully it won’t have to be repeated!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register