pain upper abdomen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain upper abdomen pain upper abdomen

Unread 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM
pain upper abdomen

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op from a laparoscopic total hysterectomy, (ovaries intact). I have been having a lot of swelling and constant pain in my upper abdomen as well as the usual come n go pains in my lower if I do too much. My emotions have been all over the place as well. I get much advice from people telling me I should be able to do a lot at this point being that it was laproscopic surgery.
Is this normal pain and emotions for this type of surgery? I am hoping that I did not do too much too soon. Any advice would be appreciated from those who have been through it. I was also wondering about swelly belly. How long does that last and does it have the same effect on all types of hysterectomies?
Thanks all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Re: pain upper abdomen

Been there, done that. You probably have air trapped. I know even after 8 weeks I still have a bit of an issue. Try not to eat too much at one time.
From previous surgeries this can take a lot longer than anyone will tell you. For me using Gas-X actually made it worse.
Some very gentle upper body stretching seems to help getting it to move.
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM

thanks for the advice, hoping it will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM

I know how you feel. I am 2 weeks post op and the top half of my tummy seems to swell more than the lower half. It's so weird , like I have a shelf over my belly button. I still am sore below, in my back and sides but my upper tummy looks swollen. I had a total hysterectomy ovaries, cervix and uterus removed. All through my belly button, no stitches but he used glue. Seemed like it it took for ever for me to be able to poop. A whole week and a day. I still can't wear anything but stretchy clothes. Love my PJ's.
My first follow up is tomorrow afternoon.
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM

Thanks for sharing. Thought I was a lil insane over the upper ab swelling. Mine was through the belly button as well. I had a long time before expelling. they were worried I would have to go to the ER for that so I did what I had to even though that first BM is scary. I have my first follow up later this week and hoping to be able to go to work next week, but afraid I won't fit in any of my work clothes. Elastic and tie waistlines have been my life.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Bunny,

I am really worried about going back to work also. The kind of work that I do we have to wear jeans. Its a must. I wont have any jeans that are going to be big enough to cover my belly if the swelling doesnt go down. Also the tenderness is not making me want anything tight on my belly! I have mostly been wearing my PJs, sweats, and a very loose sun dress!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register