extremely nervous about post op stuff surgery in 16 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

extremely nervous about post op stuff surgery in 16 days extremely nervous about post op stuff surgery in 16 days

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM
extremely nervous about post op stuff surgery in 16 days

Hi there-
my surgery is scheduled for May 19th and I am petrified of the unknowns. I had no idea that I would have "swelly belly" until reading this sight or problems with bowel movements so now I'm getting even more nervous. I'm 46 years old and having a LTH and I am praying that the doctor is able to leave me with my ovaries as my mom had breast cancer and currently has osteoporosis- as well as do/did several other females in my family.

So my questions are:

What other things can I anticipate regarding bodily changes after surgery? Am I going to gain a significant amount of weight that I won't be able to take off because I had a hysterectomy? I currently work out five days a week and only weigh 100 pounds so reading all of the posts I'm curious about this...also will I become depressed as I have read this as well??

How long will my belly be swollen? How long do I have to wait to work out again?

Why do some women have sleep problems after the surgery?

I realize every women is different and a lot of this will depend on if I keep my ovaries or not. HRT scares me in itself- so I am in a precarious position to say the least.
Any information that anyone can offer will be so appreciated.

Thank you all- I am beyond grateful for this sight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Re: extremely nervous about post op stuff surgery in 16 days

I'm 43, had my LTH on April 16. My belly is back to its normal, a-little-bit-flabby self, though it was quite swollen for a little while. I go back to the Dr. the 14th, and I'm hoping for some exercise clearance - I miss it! I feel great, like nothing happened, and I've had no depression (actually totally psyched to get rid of the periods!). Give your arms extra attention at the gym; I did, knowing I'd need to rely on them a LOT more, and it definitely helped. Just don't overdo it, and you'll be fine!
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Thank you for your reply- I have a very firm tummy because I work out so much so I'm hoping it goes back to normal quickly! I really appreciate you replying to me- you have made me feel better already.
Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM

The gas and bowel issues can be minimized if you're prepared. I didn't gain any wt, and I'm the type to usually gain. Realize that some post op changes may be just a few days of changes. And women with problems are more likely to post here, others may not feel the need. You can prepare for a few things like getting gas X and loose pants, but really you will probably do fine. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM

cutie-obviously, everyone is different so we can't predict what difficulties or complications you may or may not have. That being said, most of the issues you read about here like swelly-belly, gas pain, constipation, etc. are common but temporary. Some people obviously have more difficulties than others. It's good to know going in what kind of difficulties are possible so you can prepare yourself. But people are more likely to post when they are worried or are having a problem. There are many more people who never post because everything was fine.

I had a TAH, so I have not been cleared to do any exercise except walk at this point. I can't wait to go back to it! My swelling has gone down since the beginning, though I still swell on days when I do too much. Being in good health going into surgery certainly lessens your risk of complications, but it is major surgery and discomfort, swelling, etc are to be expected.

I kept one ovary, and though I had some night sweats and hot flashes, they have lessened. My doctor expects the one ovary to be able to compensate. She said it may take a while to adjust.

Try to read some of the positive stories, too. The most comforting thing for me before my surgery was the number of people I talked to or met who said it was the best thing they ever did-that they got their life back. While I knew complications were possible, for me it was worth the risk, because I knew my difficulties were only going to get worse. The pain, heavy bleeding, and inability to empty or control my bladder were having a direct negative impact on my life.

I too love to exercise, and the bleeding and discomfort had gotten to the point where there was only about one week a month where I had the energy to exercise at all.

The timelines for recovery can vary greatly depending on the type of surgery you have in additional to personal differences. I know before my surgery, I had to limit the amount of post-op posts I read as sometimes it was more information than I was ready to handle.

Good luck and come back often-we're here to help.
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM

I had TAH BSO on 3-23. I was cleared for exercising last Thursday. I had the swelly belly for a week. I found the control top panties (1 size bigger) felt good to me. Some don't want anything touching tummy. I walked outside alot after my surgery, it was so pretty. I think that helped the gas problem. Felt better the day after surgery than I had in a long time. Look at the recovery as short time for a permanent fix. This is my first day back to work and I didn't have to bring spare pants to change into because I never knew when I would start flooding. Life is good after the surgery!!!! The worst part is waiting and dreading the surgery.
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Had my LAVH on March 29. Took everything. I had the "swelly belly" for a couple of weeks but now my belly is smaller than before the surgery with the giant fibroid infested uterus gone. I had miminal problems with constipation or gas - walked as much as possible, ate soft foods for a week and took stool softeners and used GAS X for about two weeks.

I am back to walking on my tread and anxious to get back to weight training and my Swiss Ball. Doctor said I had to wait for 6 week check up to be cleared for that. I am back to all household activiites - still getting tired quicker than normal.

Have had so few menopause symptoms. I've had a few "hot flashes" but they only lasted maybe 30 seconds. I have not had any night sweats and am sleeping very well. I have also not had any crying spells and my moods are no better or worse than before. I am not on HRT and I don't intend to if it keeps going this well. I may use something for vag. dryness - that's about it.

I am actually doing so much better now than before the surgery. With the pms - I suffered so much and for almost the whole month. There were always those wild swings and I had nausea, bloating, migraines, terrible bleeding, body aches and pains etc. All that is gone now and I am feeling very stable day to day. Just trying to regain some energy (and I'm talking about the levels I enjoyed 20 years ago, not the more recent stuff).

I am so glad I had this surgery.
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM

I had LAVH/BSO 3/5 and have had no problems. Swelly Belly went down quick but I still get a little when I really really over do it. But each time it happens now it's less. I went back to work today and I'm not swollen.

I started walking very short distances as soon as I got home and this helped with the gas. At 10 days post op I was up to 1 mile.

I'm not doing any HRT. I've added extra calcuim, vitamin d and a soy supplement which is working fine for me.

If I had known how much better I'd feel I would have done this sooner.

I plan on posting my positive experience as often as I can for people like you who are looking at the overall picture.

I will say this site had me prepared for my surgery. ie granny panies, gas x, milk of mag., body pillow, small pillow for traveling. I would not have known any of this if it wasn't for the great ladies on this site.

Good Luck with your surgery
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:23 PM

I had so many of the same concerns. I am 5 days post op so let me tell you how I am so far I am 30 and before surgery I was very active at the gym, 5'4" tall and 118 pounds. My belly is still sore but all of the swelling is gone. It was by day 3. I have actually lost about 2 pounds but don't weigh yourself for a few days (the IV fluid packs on a lot of weight for a couple of days.) My Dr. told me to limit the steps, no abs and no lifting but that walking was fine. Each day I am walking a little more. Overall, I am feeling pretty good and all of my post op concerns weren't needed.

good luck.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Everyone is different and every surgery is a little different too. The narcotic pain killers will cause constipation. Use them when you need to, but remember that they have that side effect and take advantage of stool softeners while drinking lots of water. Certain foods cause gas as well as constipation, so you might want to avoid them at first. I started off a couple of days before with stool softeners and Gas-X and am still continuing with them which seems to have helped avoid the worst of it. Drink lots of water because that will help more than anything! Not only does it help with your intestinal workings, but it will help too with keeping the possibility of a bladder infection down. Go frequently as well to help not get a UTI.

One of the other sisters on here reminded those of us who are post-op that this is a major surgery and to be gentle with ourselves afterwards. Follow the Dr's instructions, don't be in a rush to do things, and enjoy the chance to smell the flowers! There's a reason we say we're "pampering the Princess"!

Ask your Dr about when to get back to and how much of your gym routine you should be doing. Don't expect to just jump into what you were doing before your surgery.

Post-op depression and sleeplessness has a variety of sources with each being triggered by different things for different women. This is when talking to your healthcare providers comes in handy. They'll be able to help you out with finding what the cause is and recommend solutions that will suit you best.

Good luck with your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register